Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Remote control via Screen Sharing, not same network

Remote control via Screen Sharing, not same network
arnoz
Feb 19, 2008, 09:03 AM

Hi,

I would like to remote control a MacBook from my MacBook Pro. My mother is a new Mac user and she lives abroad so when she has a question we have to talk for quite a long time on iChat before she understands. This is a waste of time for both of us and I'd like to be able to remote control her Mac to help her.
MacBook Pro 10.5.2 with Screen Sharing "modified" - ADSL and modem with NAT
MacBook 10.4.11 - Remote Login and Remote Desktop are activated - cable modem

I thought all I needed was her IP address but when I do that, nothing happens. But everything works great when I do it with my roomate through our Airport Express.
Does anybody succeeded to do that?
Thanks!

Cold Warrior
Feb 19, 2008, 11:16 AM

It works for your roommate because you're both on the same subnet.

You need to enable port forwarding. See my post and the thread in general for more info.

arnoz  (op)
Feb 19, 2008, 11:30 AM

Mmh, I thought I already did that. Here's what it looks like:

At the moment she's in the same country as me (I don't think that changes naything...) and the configuration at her home is the exact same as the one here: SpeedTouch 510 with the above configuration and Airport Express as bridge mode, so just to use the Wi-Fi and AirTunes features. The SpeedTouch have the exact same configuration, except for the ADSL username/password of course.
Thanks for your help!

Cold Warrior
Feb 20, 2008, 03:39 PM

Is that for her router or yours?

arnoz  (op)
Feb 20, 2008, 04:18 PM

Both have the exact same configuration.

arnoz  (op)
Feb 25, 2008, 11:16 AM

Any ideas?

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 25, 2008, 05:30 PM

What kind of ISP do you have, and what kind does your mother have? How do they assign user IPs? How does a user connect and authenticate? Does either one in any way "shape traffic" and/or block/throttle ports?

Many European DSL providers use PPPoA, which may have some sort of inherent port usage scheme I'm not familiar with, and some European providers actively control what traffic goes to and from which ports. This makes it almost impossible to even speculate about this issue without a lot more info. Sorry to say this but I can't even guess about your problem without all the information listed above and probably a lot more.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Atheist
Mac Elite
Feb 25, 2008, 05:42 PM

Just use LogMeIn. It's simple to setup, doesn't require any messing around with your router, it's FREE and best of all it just plain works. I've been using it for quite a while now and love it. You can connect to PC's and Macs.

I know this doesn't directly answer your question... but it's a viable alternative to Screen Sharing.

arnoz  (op)
Feb 26, 2008, 04:47 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
What kind of ISP do you have, and what kind does your mother have? How do they assign user IPs? How does a user connect and authenticate? Does either one in any way "shape traffic" and/or block/throttle ports?

Many European DSL providers use PPPoA, which may have some sort of inherent port usage scheme I'm not familiar with, and some European providers actively control what traffic goes to and from which ports. This makes it almost impossible to even speculate about this issue without a lot more info. Sorry to say this but I can't even guess about your problem without all the information listed above and probably a lot more.
ghporter, at the moment she is in the same country as me. We both use the same provider with the same type of subscription. The routers are the same, too. We connect through PPPoA indeed. The IP is assigned automatically and changed every 24 hours. I don't really know any technical stuff about our connection but the provider is a really small company, the subscriptions are quite "basic" and I know the only thing blocked is port 25.
If needed, here are 2 screenshots from my router:

Atheist, I'll try LogMeIn but if Screen Sharing works I'd rather use that.
Thanks!

ewiser
Feb 26, 2008, 06:30 AM

I use the iChat screen sharing for connecting to another computer not on my network.

arnoz  (op)
Feb 26, 2008, 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by ewiser View Post
I use the iChat screen sharing for connecting to another computer not on my network.
I know but it doesn't work with Tiger.

memento
Mac Elite
Feb 27, 2008, 11:07 AM

This is an issue that's not limited to you. there's some kind of Leopard screen sharing/ARD bug. check Apple's discussions. The only way that I am able to control my mother's computer was to upgrade her to Leopard and use ichat to initiate screen sharing.
"Destroy your ego. Trust your brain. Destroy your beliefs. Trust your divinity." -Danny Carey

MacPro Quad 2.66, G4 MDD dual 867, 23" Cinema Display and 17" LCD, G4 Quicksilver dual 800, 12" Powerbook 867, iMac 300 Grape, B&W G3/300 with G4/450 running yellowdog, iPod 5GB, iPod mini, PowerCenter 150, Powercenter 132 tower, Performa 6116, Quadra 700, MacSE, LC II, eMate 300

Forum Links
Forum Rules