Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Car Talk

Car Talk (Page 26)
ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 16, 2020, 12:18 AM

Real trucks really only make sense if you need the capabilities.

I have the Honda Ridgeline and I love it. It’s a city truck. Fits a family of four perfectly, it drives slightly better than an SUV (cause it is one), and you can throw the odd large appliance, 4x8 and other reno materials that happen from time to time. And I have my mountain bike in the back half the time or the kids bikes or luggage or whatever else is going on.

Do I need it? No. But I always have something I’m throwing in the bed.
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

OreoCookie
Dec 16, 2020, 01:37 AM

Originally Posted by MacNNFamous View Post
It's peanuts if you have a place to park it. My daily has paid for itself in fuel savings many times over, and is reliable AF.
What do you do about insurance and taxes? (I know that mandatory inspections in the US are lax to non-existent.) These are incurred for each vehicle you want to use on public roads.

As a disclaimer: not all things need to make financial sense all the time. Anything I consider a hobby need not make financial sense by definition — as long as we can afford it. For my 40th, I'm going to buy a road bike that costs as much as an older used car. Could I get by with something cheaper? Sure. But boy do I want it!
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

OreoCookie
Dec 16, 2020, 01:44 AM

Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton View Post
Real trucks really only make sense if you need the capabilities.
Most people just like the look of SUVs and trucks, and like to feel being above people driving ordinary cars.
Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton View Post
Do I need it? No. But I always have something I’m throwing in the bed.
Arguably, station wagons do everything better than SUVs except for the select few that do proper offroading. For some strange reason many Americans hate station wagons, though. (I really, really like them. Two of my most favorite cars on earth, the W124 T-Modell E-class and the Audi RS2 are station wagons.)

Brien
Professional Poster
Dec 16, 2020, 03:53 AM

Given sales figures, Americans apparently hate cars in general. Truck country.

I’m hoping non-huge vehicles still exist in 5 years when my current car needs replacin’.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Dec 16, 2020, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
What do you do about insurance and taxes? (I know that mandatory inspections in the US are lax to non-existent.) These are incurred for each vehicle you want to use on public roads.
Insurance rates vary wildly by state, and if you have an cheap vehicle and a backup vehicle, you could consider yourself self-insured on the cheap one and go for liability insurance only, which could be as low as $20-30/month. In Iowa, after 12 years registration becomes a flat $50/year. So if you have a cheap car that's a 2008 or older, you're only paying about $300/year to own it outside of fuel and maintenance. On the flip side, since registration in Iowa is based on original list price, vehicle weight, and age, the wife's car currently costs $500/yr to register and another $500/yr in insurance for the full coverage we have on it.

As a disclaimer: not all things need to make financial sense all the time. Anything I consider a hobby need not make financial sense by definition — as long as we can afford it. For my 40th, I'm going to buy a road bike that costs as much as an older used car. Could I get by with something cheaper? Sure. But boy do I want it!
That's where I'm at on the truck. I like tinkering and the truck provides both something to tinker on, and something to assist in tinkering with other things. And honestly it was so cheap that right now I could get all of my money back and then some.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Dec 16, 2020, 09:56 AM

I take your points, although I'm not sure the US way of doing things is prudent.

Thorzdad
Dec 16, 2020, 11:17 AM

You used to be able to get vehicles like station wagons registered as trucks here in Indiana. Truck registrations were a lot cheaper than passenger vehicles and, somehow, wagons qualified as trucks.

andi*pandi
Dec 16, 2020, 11:49 AM

The original subaru had the same chassis as a small truck...

MacNNFamous
Senior User
Dec 16, 2020, 11:56 AM

I get ****ed. It's really dumb imho. Like, if I have 3 cars, I can understand the potential losses are 3x as much as a single car, so my rates should be higher. Otoh, I can only DRIVE one car at a time. So really it should be like 1.5x the rate of a single car, for example.

The reality is I run insurance on my main cars, and the other cars I insure for a few months, but when they're in storage they just get fire/act of god coverage, and some.... I just don't insure. If you have an older car, cops don't really bother you for some reason so I don't get pulled over. If I do I'll get screwed, but whatever.

I wish there was an app that allowed you to 'select' what car you were driving on any given day, and insure it for 24 hours, and the others would automatically switch to storage insurance.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Dec 16, 2020, 12:15 PM

I wish there was an app that allowed you to 'select' what car you were driving on any given day, and insure it for 24 hours, and the others would automatically switch to storage insurance.
I'm seeing lots of ads for car insurance companies offering an "only pay for what you drive" plan.

https://www.allstate.com/auto-insurance/milewise.aspx

https://www.metromile.com/

I assume they make you run an OBD device to monitor how much you drive.

MacNNFamous
Senior User
Dec 16, 2020, 02:04 PM

Wouldn't work for older vehicles, I'd imagine.

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Dec 16, 2020, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
I'm seeing lots of ads for car insurance companies offering an "only pay for what you drive" plan.

https://www.allstate.com/auto-insurance/milewise.aspx

https://www.metromile.com/

When I lived in South Africa the basic Third Party insurance was included in the price of petrol and the government was the insurer. This made exceptional sense and was infinitely flexible.

Got a population with essentially zero likelyhood of insuring their car? Still need petrol.

Got loads of cars but can only drive one at a time? Does it have petrol in it? Bingo

Drive a load of miles therefore a bigger risk? Got ya

Drive a hugely powerful performance car? Use a lot of petrol does it? Covered

Simple almost foolproof system. So much so that I can't understand why it's not more widely used for the basic insurance. Of course people with nicer/newer cars added on fully comp but it was a continual godsend for those fender benders with cars driven by those to whom insurance is not so much a dirty as an unknown word.
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Dec 16, 2020, 04:10 PM

Car update.

Arse. Head gasket has gone. Nice pre Christmas present. It's a weakness on Peugeots 1.6 and 1.9 XU engines. Head getting a skim, cam belt water pump etc all getting done at the same time. Wallet open, eyes shut.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Dec 16, 2020, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by Doc HM View Post
but it was a continual godsend for those fender benders with cars driven by those to whom insurance is not so much a dirty as an unknown word.
Yeah, like the asshole that doesn't carry insurance on some of his cars and the only risk he can think of is the potential impact to him, and not what would happen if he t-boned a family and became liable for hundreds of thousands in medical bills.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Dec 16, 2020, 05:00 PM

Wouldn't work for older vehicles, I'd imagine.
They use an OBD-II device, so probably wouldn't work on anything pre-1996.

The Milewise device detects miles driven, speed, time of day, specific driving events (like sudden braking) and location. This info is used to calculate your trip costs and provide personalized feedback you can view online and in the app.
I talked to my insurance agent about rates for my '69 Cougar and he offered a cheaper "classic car" policy with the following restrictions:
A Collector or Modified automobile is a motor vehicle of the private passenger type, which is:

a. At least 20 years old;

b. Scrupulously maintained and in excellent physical condition;

c. Used primarily for exhibitions, club activities, parades, and other functions of public interest because of its uniqueness, condition, and/or value; and

d. Used no more than 2,500 miles annually.
Insurance was only $100/yr vs. $280 for liability or $313 for full coverage.

Thorzdad
Dec 16, 2020, 05:11 PM

Not just how much you drive. They monitor how you drive, as well.

"Gee, Mr. Laminar, it seems you tend to travel over the posted speed limits a bit. And, those quick accelerations aren't good either. And, just look at those cornering loads! We're going to have to bump your rates up a bit. I'm sure you understand."

MacNNFamous
Senior User
Dec 16, 2020, 05:39 PM

Car update.

Arse. Head gasket has gone. Nice pre Christmas present. It's a weakness on Peugeots 1.6 and 1.9 XU engines. Head getting a skim, cam belt water pump etc all getting done at the same time. Wallet open, eyes shut.
My advice: Get the headgasket coated in something. I use copper HG spray. It allows the block/head to slide on the gasket, and not tear it, and fills in any imperfections. On high boost drag cars, they use stuff that is almost an adhesive, can't find a link rn but search around.

Laminar. I'm not buying insurance on cars I only drive 3-5x a year. If it was reasonably priced, I would, but it isn't, so I won't. I don't drive in crowded areas with lots of traffic, just twisty backroads. If someone bad happens it'll probably be me going off the road and dying, so oh well.

msuper69
Professional Poster
Dec 16, 2020, 10:59 PM

2020 BMW 228i Xdrive.
Best car I’ve ever owned.
I’m looking for excuses to drive it.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Dec 17, 2020, 08:37 AM

Laminar. I'm not buying insurance on cars I only drive 3-5x a year. If it was reasonably priced, I would, but it isn't, so I won't. I don't drive in crowded areas with lots of traffic, just twisty backroads. If someone bad happens it'll probably be me going off the road and dying, so oh well.
Yes, no one is surprised to see you thinking only about yourself. Very on-brand.

andi*pandi
Dec 17, 2020, 12:20 PM

$100 a year for an "antique" or vintage car seems quite affordable, even x3 for your collection. Remember you might be an excellent driver but everyone else sucks.

MacNNFamous
Senior User
Dec 17, 2020, 02:02 PM

$100 a year? Where?

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Dec 17, 2020, 03:12 PM

The toilet store.

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Dec 17, 2020, 03:19 PM

Buy day insurance.

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Dec 17, 2020, 03:22 PM

[IMG] IMG_0166 by Andrew Stephens, on Flickr[/IMG]

ahahah hahaha haha oops!

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Dec 17, 2020, 03:41 PM

"Blown" doesn't even begin to describe that thing. Subaru is jealous that you can mess up a head gasket so badly.

reader50
Administrator
Dec 17, 2020, 04:03 PM

Wow. Did the previous owner pour some gasket-dissolver in the radiator before selling it? Or someone tested a 50 psi radiator cap for funsies.

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Dec 17, 2020, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
Wow. Did the previous owner pour some gasket-dissolver in the radiator before selling it? Or someone tested a 50 psi radiator cap for funsies.
Yes it's quite well done. It's been a stage rally car for a while so it doesn't get an easy life. Last event it seemed fine, no overheating or noticeable power loss but it was probably leaking even then as the car has been reluctant to start when warm.

Head off for pressure testing an skimming but the engine actually looks in good shape internally so new gasket, cam belt and water pump and it should be all good for years!

MacNNFamous
Senior User
Dec 18, 2020, 01:10 PM

Get the valves done too, backcut for more flow. Heads are where all the magic happens.

Here's a pic of my project jag I picked up a few months ago:

Pretty geeked. Probably less than 5 stickshift XJ6s in the USA and I have one. Doesn't move or even run yet, but I heard it fire with starting fluid, so probably just needs the fuel system gone through.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Dec 18, 2020, 01:27 PM

The last time you posted that pic I forgot to comment on that awful Yukon with the bad rims, tinted tails, and horrible squat. Glad you posted it again.

MacNNFamous
Senior User
Dec 18, 2020, 08:31 PM

I agree completely. Isn't mine so have at it.

reader50
Administrator
Dec 19, 2020, 03:31 PM

Lets keep it civil. Tasty digs are fine. Blown cars OK too.

Thorzdad
Dec 20, 2020, 12:54 PM

My brother popped up in a YouTube post last week. He was just tooling around downtown Petaluma in his beater when a bike club caught up with him...

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 23, 2020, 09:32 PM

Soooooooo....when you say beater.....was he in the Porsche or the little scooter at the beginning?

Because that Porsche is pretty epic. Wow.
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

Thorzdad
Dec 24, 2020, 09:29 AM

LOL. He's driving the Speedster. That's his son with him. I've never gotten a clear story as to how he came to have the Porsche, but I can assure you he's not in any position to have ever paid market value for the thing.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Jan 22, 2021, 10:04 AM

Continuing to tinker with the truck. Taillights were in bad shape, one was cracked, the other was missing the lens completely. Got a new set for Christmas.

Replaced the old and busted suspension this week with some shiny new bits.

One of the springs had actually snapped at its seat, which I didn't discover until pulling everything apart.

Between that and the blown shocks, no wonder it rode so rough.

Wife was trying to get work done, so we did a drive-in theater in the garage while I worked on the truck. Garage was in the mid-50s, but the kids bundled up to be outside anyway, probably overkill.

Also got the CarPlay unit installed and fully functional this week. We took a trip down to KC to grab some stuff from Ikea and it was killer for listening to podcasts and using nav.

MacNNFamous
Senior User
Jan 22, 2021, 11:55 AM

Bilsteins?

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Jan 22, 2021, 02:36 PM

The most BORING of all shocks!!

Thorzdad
Jan 22, 2021, 03:18 PM

That's a good thing. You really don't want "exciting" shocks.

MacNNFamous
Senior User
Jan 22, 2021, 05:09 PM

I run billies on anything I can.

Oh yeah I bought another car as a Christmas present to myself.

Rust Free
Almost not modified (dumb exhaust and ground control coils/koni dampers)
Engine and interior 100% stock

Pretty geeked. Going to go through it over the next few months. Not sure if I'm selling it or not, this has been a bucket list car for a while, and imho white is the best color on this chassis.

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Jan 22, 2021, 05:37 PM

The most BORING of all shocks!!
My 205 has Bilstein group A tarmac struts and springs all round and I love the boring job they do of keeping the car on the stage really well. Far better than the more exciting option of heading backwards for the trees.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Jan 22, 2021, 06:19 PM

I love directional wheels.

MacNNFamous
Senior User
Jan 22, 2021, 09:18 PM

I'm aware. Drove it home, took some photos, and that's it. They're going away since they're for a CRX.

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Feb 21, 2021, 04:02 PM

Some video of the old 205 in action.
In my defence it felt a LOT faster on the inside than it looks from the outside!

( Last edited by Thorzdad; Feb 22, 2021 at 12:07 AM. )

Thorzdad
Feb 22, 2021, 12:10 AM

That looked like too much fun. The red car spinning behind you was nice, too.

OreoCookie
Feb 22, 2021, 03:11 AM

Some video of the old 205 in action.
In my defence it felt a LOT faster on the inside than it looks from the outside!

It always looks much slower from the outside. I know this full well from road racing and mountain biking.

MacNNFamous
Senior User
Feb 22, 2021, 12:52 PM

Love those pepper pots.

andi*pandi
Feb 22, 2021, 02:49 PM

It looks fun! how fast is it really?
Is that car automatic or are you shifting?

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Feb 22, 2021, 02:53 PM

Love those pepper pots.
Pepperpots gone. Replaced by 1.9 Speedlines just refurbished in white.
Much fresher and a better look all round. It is actually a 1.9 GTi after all.

IMG_0319 by Andrew Stephens, on Flickr

IMG_0317 by Andrew Stephens, on Flickr

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Feb 22, 2021, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
It looks fun! how fast is it really?
Is that car automatic or are you shifting?
This is Europe so it's a manual. I don't think Peugeot made a GTi with an auto box.

back end of the circuit maybe 110 flat out. The twisty bits, not so much. The off road bit, way too slow. It was very very slippy.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Feb 22, 2021, 03:30 PM

That's awesome stuff. The local events here are either tarmac or offroad, no mix. Though one of the dirt courses has areas that are so compacted that drivers were seeing improved times by switching to pavement race compound tires. I bought taller springs and a fresh set of Blizzaks for the M3 at the end of 2019 with the intention of doing more offroad racing but then 2020 happened. There was supposed to be an offroad snow event yesterday but there ended up being so much snow that they couldn't even get a decent course cleared out in time so it got cancelled.

Forum Links
Forum Rules