Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Help! My 12" titanium Powerbook G4 was run over but it still runs!

Help! My 12" titanium Powerbook G4 was run over but it still runs!
SallyF
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 22, 2004, 09:57 AM

Help! My 12" aluminum Powerbook G4 was run over but it still runs! I suppose it would make a great Timex-type ad. Long story short: too much haste in loading car, laptop in gray simple soft case overlooked in gray driveway, husband backed over laptop - Ouch. The laptop is surprisingly not much damaged in outward appearances; there is a thumb-sized dent on the bottom at the spot where the words "Designed by Apple" etc is printed but that's about it. Amazingly, it boots up, all systems, etc. seem to run fine. Fortunately I'd backed up the day before and the only new items were some digital photos I took of the Boston Marathon but even they are still there. The big problem is the screen: it's cracked in the lower left corner and there are streaking blue-black patterns in a ink-like design in the corner.

It's still under the original warranty and also under AppleCare but since it's an accident and obviously not a mfg's defect those options are out.

So, where and how do I locate a replacement screen?

Thanks for your time,
Sally
( Last edited by SallyF; Apr 22, 2004 at 10:46 AM. )

PeterKG
Senior User
Apr 22, 2004, 10:41 AM

It's a 12" Aluminum Powerbook.
MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.7), 1.6 GHz, Core i5, 4GB 1333 MHz DDR3, 128 GB SSD, 24" LED ACD, 1TB Time Capsule (late 2009), IOS4 ATV, 16GB iPhone 4

SallyF  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 22, 2004, 10:48 AM

Originally posted by PeterKG:
It's a 12" Aluminum Powerbook.
Thanks. I tried to correct the post but only the message body accepted the change.
MAC user since 1984 ($3500 for 128k MAC & Imagewriter!) It still works too.

f1000
Professional Poster
Apr 22, 2004, 11:20 AM

Search Ebay using the following keywords:
1) lcd powerbook 12"
2) LTN121XF-L01

IMHO, I would write that laptop off as a loss and sell it on Ebay - there might be intermittent failures inside the chassis just waiting to occur.

Losing data (and thousands of man-hours of work) can be much more expensive than replacing your computer.
( Last edited by f1000; Apr 22, 2004 at 11:29 AM. )

BearOso
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 22, 2004, 11:21 AM

Seriously, this isn't the first story I've seen about a powerbook being run over and still working.

How on Earth do you people end up driving vehicles over something so expensive as a laptop?

dapilot
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 22, 2004, 11:35 AM

SallyF, Sent you a PM.

SallyF  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 22, 2004, 01:20 PM

Originally posted by f1000:
Search Ebay using the following keywords:
1) lcd powerbook 12"
2) LTN121XF-L01

IMHO, I would write that laptop off as a loss and sell it on Ebay - there might be intermittent failures inside the chassis just waiting to occur.

Losing data (and thousands of man-hours of work) can be much more expensive than replacing your computer.

Thanks for the tips. I have another computer I can use and a full backup but I'd like to still use this laptop - even if only for the internet.

Terminology please? What are these parts?

LCD bezel

Top case

screen cover

Non DVI - how to tell?

What is the liquid in the LCD?

The way I figure it, I'm already down one for the count so I've got nothing to lose by seeing what I can do with this disaster.

Thanks,
Sally

f1000
Professional Poster
Apr 22, 2004, 01:41 PM

LCD bezel
The frame surrounding the glass.

What is the liquid in the LCD?
You won't need to know this. There's no way you can refill it anyway.

Non DVI - how to tell?
I believe the type of LCD you're looking for is non-DVI (not to be confused with the DVI output on rev B 12" PowerBooks).

SallyF  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 22, 2004, 03:18 PM

RE:the liquid in the LCD - I'm just wondering in case I come in contact with it. Of course it's not edible (grin) but hopefully it's not toxic either.

So far I've learned that the part surrounding the screen is the bezel. There seems to be a plastic cover on the screen - that's the part you can touch, and then I think the glass part is under that. I'm filled with curiosity about the parts; you know, a closeup of the "dermatology layers of the visible MAC", or something like that.

Decades ago, my father and I would play with dismantling broken items he'd acquired and repairing them. I wish he were still alive: he'd love this challenge.

By the way, I've lurked here a lot but never registered since I had no questions before. How do I respond to a private message? I don't detect any clickable link. Anyway, I'm conservative enough to suspect a homeowner's claim would just raise our premiums and we'd lose in the long run.

SallyF  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 22, 2004, 05:18 PM

Perhaps I may be able to get a new top containing everything from our local MAC dealer in Keene, NH. I just spoke to the repair dept. and they told me they had a machine that had a broken logic board and to bring in my laptop and maybe I'll get lucky. They also told me the LCD is phosphorus (sp?) trapped in a gelatious substance between two film membranes, no glass involved.

So for now, I'm not touching the machine.

Off topic question: What's a sticky as used at this site?

Thanks for all comments so far. I appreciate it.
Sally

Tomster
Senior User
Apr 22, 2004, 06:27 PM

Originally posted by SallyF:

Off topic question: What's a sticky as used at this site?
It sticks the topic to the top of the page on the first viewable page so that subsequent posts do not displace it. That way, people do not start a half a dozen threads every day on "What bag do I get?"

Good luck with the repair.
Happily using a Mac since '89
MacPortable: 16Mhz 1meg/40meg System 6.0.8 - 16lbs Yeah baby!
Powerbook 17" 1.33Ghz 2GB/100GB 8x Superdrive
Powerbook 12" 867Mhz 1.125GB/80GB 2xDVD-R RPC1
MacbookPro 17" 2.33Ghz

f1000
Professional Poster
Apr 23, 2004, 05:29 AM

They also told me the LCD is phosphorus (sp?) trapped in a gelatious substance between two film membranes, no glass involved.
What they told you is wildly incorrect.

SallyF  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 23, 2004, 12:33 PM

Well, that figures; it was a salesman that said that, besides, I may have misunderstood him on the phone. The tech dept. is run by a very capable lady who's always given us exceptional help. Support your local dealer my husband says and they'll be there when you run into trouble and I sure have trouble now. And, I might add, this dealer has been there twenty (20) years, impressive for an Apple dealer. ps: Am I allowed to say their name or is that verbotin?

f1000
Professional Poster
Apr 23, 2004, 01:10 PM

Well, that figures; it was a salesman that said that, besides, I may have misunderstood him on the phone. The tech dept. is run by a very capable lady who's always given us exceptional help. Support your local dealer my husband says and they'll be there when you run into trouble and I sure have trouble now. And, I might add, this dealer has been there twenty (20) years, impressive for an Apple dealer. ps: Am I allowed to say their name or is that verbotin?
If your PowerBook's lid is warped, you may need to replace the entire lid + LCD together.

As for your posting testimonials on MacNN, that's between you and the moderators. Good luck with the repairs!

rag on a muffin
Senior User
Apr 23, 2004, 03:18 PM

Originally posted by SallyF: What is the liquid in the LCD?
liquid crystal i.e. the name liquid crystal display. (LCD)
Superhero Of The Computer Rage
MacBook Pro 2.16 Ghz, PowerBook G4 12" 1 Ghz (DVI) Dell 24" monitor
Porsche 944, Mercedes 240D (running onWaste Vegetable Oil)

Forum Links
Forum Rules