Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Microsoft basic wheel mouse - work OK?

Microsoft basic wheel mouse - work OK?
Doofy
Clinically Insane
Aug 5, 2005, 08:19 AM

I figure I'm liking the cheapo Microsoft wheel mouse attached to the PC better than I like my Apple mice. Am I going to have any problems popping a few of these onto my Macs via USB/PS2 adaptors?

(please note: I'm not really interested in recommendations for other "fancy" mice - I want something with a ball in it, not optical).

Thanks.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

OreoCookie
Aug 5, 2005, 08:36 AM

I have a cheap Logitec optical mouse (don't know about your country, but here in Germany, you have a hard time finding `mechanical' mice) and I just paid something like 10 or 12 €. Works perfectly, all three buttons and the wheel.

However, I really recommend an optical mouse (dunno, if you made your comment because of the price or because you like mechanical mice better), moves much better and you don't have to clean it.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Doofy  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 5, 2005, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie
However, I really recommend an optical mouse (dunno, if you made your comment because of the price or because you like mechanical mice better), moves much better and you don't have to clean it.
Yeah, I like mechanical mice. Just wanted to know if it was going to work OK with a USB/PS2 adaptor (it should do, shouldn't it? - after all they're touting the Mac mini as useable with your old PC mouse).

Strangely, I'm having to clean my Apple Pro Mice (specifically, the PTFE strip around the outside of the base) a lot more than the M$ basic wheel mouse I have.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Aug 5, 2005, 09:08 AM

Yeah, there should be no reason for a PS/2 -> USB adapter not to work just fine. I have to agree with OC, though - I would have to be coerced into using a ball mouse.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Doofy  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 5, 2005, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by Big Mac
Yeah, there should be no reason for a PS/2 -> USB adapter not to work just fine.
Thanks.

Originally Posted by Big Mac
I have to agree with OC, though - I would have to be coerced into using a ball mouse.
I've always been a bit weird like that.

OreoCookie
Aug 5, 2005, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by Doofy
Yeah, I like mechanical mice. Just wanted to know if it was going to work OK with a USB/PS2 adaptor (it should do, shouldn't it? - after all they're touting the Mac mini as useable with your old PC mouse).

Strangely, I'm having to clean my Apple Pro Mice (specifically, the PTFE strip around the outside of the base) a lot more than the M$ basic wheel mouse I have.
Mine is a USB mouse with a USB-PS2 adapter, so I don't know if it'll work. I would suspect it would. In the worst case, try it and buy a new one if you must.

With all of my old mice (starting with my Amiga mouse up to my last pc mouse), after some time, there was tons of dust and a hair and really icky stuff on the inside of the roll. I personally prefer the `feel' of optical mice, but surely, this is a matter of taste
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules