Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Predators Among Us.

Predators Among Us.
Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 18, 2006, 10:45 AM

No, it's not the name of a movie.

This baby girl was abducted at only one week old by a woman who slashed her mother's throat and left her mother for dead - the infant is still missing, but thank goodness the mother is alive. I cannot imagine her grief right now with her baby missing. Notable is that her parents had put a sign out in their front yard celebrating her birth:

Franklin County Maj. Mike Copeland noted that a sign celebrating Abby's birth was displayed in the front yard and was plainly visible from a highway.
Link

Next, right here in Florida over the weekend this little 6-year old named Coralrose was taken in the middle of the night and as with the kidnapped baby it is notable that apparently their parents had put up a sign and picture nearby of the little girl advertising for a babysitter:

A few blocks from Coralrose's home, a homemade poster was stapled to a tree at her bus stop. The sign offered $5 an hour for a babysitter, along with a rain-soaked photo of Coralrose and three of her siblings.
Link

Her grandfather said:

Saul Vanderwoude said. "I always thought losing a child would be the worst thing in the world. Now, I find out that losing a grandchild is absolutely the worst."
What these poor families are going through I can only imagine. It is horrific.

There are apparently so many sickos in our society that we can no longer let anyone know that we have children? Or are pregnant? Remember when one woman was attacked while pregnant? The infant was cut from her body by this sicko.

I don't care about how the people who do these things may be mentally ill - and a lot of them are women who steal the infants - and believe that they should be locked up and never see the light of day again.

My point is that if you have children, lock the doors, get burglar alarms, and unfortunately, teach them to be afraid of people in general. What a twisted reality.

zerostar
Mac Elite
Sep 18, 2006, 10:56 AM

The reality is you hear all these stories and your chances of this happening to you is less than the chance of you winning the lottery I'd bet.

My family had 5 children our neighbor had 14! That mormon family on TV had something like 16 now, they are all alive, fine and not abducted.

No need to live in fear just be smart and protect your kids as best you can. Obviously posting a photo for these perverts or deranged mothers is a bad idea.

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 18, 2006, 11:00 AM

I've often seen signs celebrating the birth of a newborn. Maybe it's not a good idea anymore, unfortunately.

I sure hope they find the missing infact baby girl and the killer of that little first grader.

zerostar
Mac Elite
Sep 18, 2006, 11:03 AM

Yes its sickening and I agree with locking these people away in solitary!

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Sep 18, 2006, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by Cody Dawg
My point is that if you have children, lock the doors, get burglar alarms, and unfortunately, teach them to be afraid of people in general. What a twisted reality.
Are there horrible people in this world? YES (P.S. They have been around forever, we just hear about them more today).

I would never raise my children to "be afraid of people in general." I would teach them that there are sick people in this world and you always need to be prepared. Teach your children to ask questions and if someone grabs them or they are in a bad situation to start screaming and start running regardless of what they say.

Also, it's important to have your children understand that even "friends" can be bad.

One last thing... in the modern world, I would probably shy away from announcing to the world that I have a new child. I wouldn't do it just because I'm sure I would get junk mail from every baby store in the area.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Sep 18, 2006, 11:10 AM

You should get a job as a news reporter or something, where you can report these things and get everyone scared and huddled around the TV with reaffirming pats on the back about the crazies that exist in our perfect little world. And I'm not even being mean or sarcastic—you should totally do that. Like local Channel 7 down here in Miami—something along the lines of that kind of ****.

It's a shame (sham?) that only the negatives of life make "news." People are murdered every day—what compels you to write and care about these particulars?

Edit: Ugh, what a way to make 10,000 posts.

Dakar
Professional Poster
Sep 18, 2006, 11:10 AM

Congrats Mindfad, you're Clinically Insane!

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Sep 18, 2006, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by Dakar
Congrats Mindfad, you're Clinically Insane!
Yay, almost exactly 5 years since I started posting here.

Dakar
Professional Poster
Sep 18, 2006, 11:13 AM

I saw. 5 posts a day for 5 years.

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Location: Partying down with the Ewoks, after I nuked the Death Star!
Sep 18, 2006, 11:15 AM

OK I know somebody will go apeshit because I mention this but have you noticed that only white kids seem to get kidnapped and have nationwide searches?

Hmmm.

"Hello, what have we here?

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 18, 2006, 11:16 AM

Mindfad, congratulations on being crazy.

Next, I did do that for a while - worked in media - and I guess this entire infant-stealing episode has me particularly sickened. As a mother I cannot imagine how that poor young mother feels. She must be feeling all chewed up inside and barely able to function. That's how I would be.

Dakar
Professional Poster
Sep 18, 2006, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by Landos Mustache
OK I know somebody will go apeshit because I mention this but have you noticed that only white kids seem to get kidnapped and have nationwide searches?

Hmmm.
Ok, I know somebody will go apeshit when I joke that no one wants to kidnap black babies.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 18, 2006, 11:19 AM

What mitchell says is exactly right. This kind of sad stuff is nothing new, we just hear about it more. Doesn't make it any easier for the victims of course, but there's no need to live in fear.

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 18, 2006, 11:25 AM

Some are famous, like the Lindbergh baby that was kidnapped.

Suspicion is that a woman kidnapped their baby also.

cjrivera
Professional Poster
Sep 18, 2006, 11:30 AM

Hmmm.
Unfortunately, I've seen several Amber alerts in my area that have been non-white babies (which coincidentally is relatively close to the Ochsenbine abduction). I think this one is getting a lot of media attention due to the circumstances in which it happened - mom getting her throat slashed.

Many of the Amber alerts that involved non-white babies, were typically a result of family dispute/marital problems, where a family member takes the baby. In these circumstances, the baby is usually found right away, so a nationwide Alert is not needed.
"It's weird the way 'finger puppets' sounds ok as a noun..."

starman
Clinically Insane
Sep 18, 2006, 11:30 AM

Stop
Watching
Fox
News

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Sep 18, 2006, 11:31 AM

Hmmm.
I like Dave Chapelle's bit about the Elizabeth Smart kidnapping as compared to Erica Pratt kidnapping.

Dakar
Professional Poster
Sep 18, 2006, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by MindFad
I like Dave Chapelle's bit about the Elizabeth Smart kidnapping as compared to Erica Pratt kidnapping.
"She was back at her house with enough time to watch herself on the news"

starman
Clinically Insane
Sep 18, 2006, 11:32 AM

Remember Tawana Brawley (sp?).

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 18, 2006, 11:34 AM

cjrivera

Unfortunately, I've seen several Amber alerts in my area that have been non-white babies (which coincidentally is relatively close to the Ochsenbine abduction). I think this one is getting a lot of media attention due to the circumstances in which it happened - mom getting her throat slashed.

Many of the Amber alerts that involved non-white babies, were typically a result of family dispute/marital problems, where a family member takes the baby. In these circumstances, the baby is usually found right away, so a nationwide Alert is not needed.
Absolutely true.

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Location: Partying down with the Ewoks, after I nuked the Death Star!
Sep 18, 2006, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by cjrivera
Unfortunately, I've seen several Amber alerts in my area that have been non-white babies (which coincidentally is relatively close to the Ochsenbine abduction).
Well obviously it isn't 100% white but I saw a show years ago that talked about how ethnic babies get next to no media attention where white kids get nationwide alerts within an hour.

Actually the report also mentioned that ethnic kids do get kidnapped MORE than white kids we just never end up hearing about it.

"Hello, what have we here?

cjrivera
Professional Poster
Sep 18, 2006, 11:55 AM

Well obviously it isn't 100% white but I saw a show years ago that talked about how ethnic babies get next to no media attention where white kids get nationwide alerts within an hour.

Actually the report also mentioned that ethnic kids do get kidnapped MORE than white kids we just never end up hearing about it.
I never stated that you had said that.

I was just saying that when any baby gets kidnapped (around here at least) the news media (TV) has the Amber alerts going up all over the place, despite the baby's ethnicity. And usually, it is a non-white baby.

Just becuase you don't hear about it, doesn't mean that they aren't getting attention.
( Last edited by cjrivera; Sep 18, 2006 at 12:11 PM. )
"It's weird the way 'finger puppets' sounds ok as a noun..."

CleoW
Forum Regular
Sep 18, 2006, 11:56 AM

This is true. I remember when that little black girl was raped and killed in Chicago at around the time of JonBenet's murder and her case didn't get nearly as much attention. I don't attribute this lack of attention to any malice on the part of white Americans; they just probably find it easier to identify/sympathize with people that look like them, and they are a majority.

If you're missing, it helps to be white - Crime & Punishment - MSNBC.com
( Last edited by CleoW; Sep 18, 2006 at 12:02 PM. )
13" MacBook Intel Core Duo- 1GB RAM- 80GB HD| 30GB iPod Video| 1GB iPod Nano

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 18, 2006, 12:09 PM

The racism card gets thrown on the table too much.

Like cjrivera said, there is a lot of information left out and simply saying "white babies get kidnapped more often" ignores extenuating circumstances like family kidnappings (mom stealing the kids or dad stealing the kids or even grandparents stealing the kids.)

Y3a
Mac Elite
Sep 18, 2006, 12:42 PM

ya know, in the "OLD DAYS" when someones kid was a brat, they got beat up by others, and the REAL horrid monsters ended up at the bottom of the well. Today, we are supposed to understand the little monsters. WHY? You gain nothing but an untrustworthy adult.

Dakar
Professional Poster
Sep 18, 2006, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by Y3a
ya know, in the "OLD DAYS" when someones kid was a brat, they got beat up by others, and the REAL horrid monsters ended up at the bottom of the well. Today, we are supposed to understand the little monsters. WHY? You gain nothing but an untrustworthy adult.
Good ol' 52nd trimester abortions.

bstone
Baninated
Sep 18, 2006, 01:07 PM

This is why I will greet everyone who comes to my door with a very powerful weapon.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Sep 18, 2006, 01:20 PM

I think it has more to do with wealth (I'll admit... wealthier usually = white in the US)

...many wealthy families will hire a PR firms to distribute information about an abduction, murder, etc. Also, the news foams at the mouth when the child is attractive [photogenic].

The poor are left with 6 lines on page 24 of the newspaper.

CleoW
Forum Regular
Sep 18, 2006, 04:40 PM

The racism card gets thrown on the table too much.
It's a fact that it happens, whether or not it is attributable to racism is debatable. I gave another reason, which seems most plausible to me, in my last post.

Like cjrivera said, there is a lot of information left out and simply saying "white babies get kidnapped more often" ignores extenuating circumstances like family kidnappings (mom stealing the kids or dad stealing the kids or even grandparents stealing the kids.)
Surveys show that 'stranger' kidnappings (not familial abduction) of non-white children get less attention than the same instances happening to white children.
13" MacBook Intel Core Duo- 1GB RAM- 80GB HD| 30GB iPod Video| 1GB iPod Nano

Zeeb
Mac Elite
Sep 18, 2006, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by bstone
This is why I will greet everyone who comes to my door with a very powerful weapon.
I don't think you're going to have many friends.

baw
Mac Elite
Sep 18, 2006, 05:04 PM

You should get a job as a news reporter or something, where you can report these things and get everyone scared and huddled around the TV with reaffirming pats on the back about the crazies that exist in our perfect little world. And I'm not even being mean or sarcastic—you should totally do that. Like local Channel 7 down here in Miami—something along the lines of that kind of ****.

It's a shame (sham?) that only the negatives of life make "news." People are murdered every day—what compels you to write and care about these particulars?

Quoted for emphasis.

Monique
Mac Elite
Sep 18, 2006, 05:15 PM

Instead of scaring your children maybe make them aware of when they feel unconfortable in a certain situation, they should do everything they can to get out of it; scream, kick, run. If they do not know the person, they should not go into a car with them. If their parents did not tell them that someone else was to pick them up, do not go. Practice then but do not start giving them gory details where they will be afraid for the rest of their lives to get into any sort of adventures.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Sep 18, 2006, 09:31 PM

Good post and congratulations on going insane!!

It shows persistance in character

V
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Sep 19, 2006, 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by voodoo
It shows persistance in character

V
Persistence in character. I like it. The chicks totally dig it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules