Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Vise Installer that doesn't know it's an application

Vise Installer that doesn't know it's an application
Axo1ot1
Professional Poster
May 17, 2009, 06:44 PM

I have a vise installer that I need to run, but it's showing up to my system as a text document and not an application. On the assumption it might've been a carbon issue, I tried using 'LaunchCFMApp' to run it via the terminal and was either unsuccessful because I have no idea what I'm doing in the terminal, or because my shot-in-the-dark solution missed the mark.

Get info reveals no hidden .app extension or anything like that, and when I tried to add one the system told me it couldn't run a Classic application. I am 99% positive this installer is not a classic application.

Anyone know what I can do to make this work?

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
May 17, 2009, 07:16 PM

Vise, ugh. An awful throwback to the Classic era. It sounds like the installer wasn't encoded properly when it was copied or transmitted and won't work because it's damaged. Where did you get the installer from?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

timmerk
Mac Elite
May 17, 2009, 07:29 PM

If you downloaded this installer as a .sit file, and used something other than Stuffit Expander to decompress it, it probably removed the resource fork. Without the resource fork, it's no good.

What app is this installer for? It may also be that the installer is a classic app, and you don't have classic if you have an Intel Mac.

Axo1ot1  (op)
Professional Poster
May 17, 2009, 08:19 PM

It's definitely supposed to be an OSX file as it's installing a plugin for After Effects CS3 and it's new this year.

Forum Links
Forum Rules