Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > apple.com unusable with Firefox for Mac (cookies)

apple.com unusable with Firefox for Mac (cookies)
opus_az
Nov 3, 2009, 02:09 PM

This is driving me absolutely batty. Apple.com is unusable on my 10.5.8 Leopard with the latest version of Firefox. Something about cookies.

After a few clicks anywhere in Apple.com, all pages refuse to load until I clear cookies for apple.com.

Time and time and time again, same result. Every time, clearing apple.com cookies gets pages loading again, immediately.

Anyone else having this? If this is something on my machine, any suggestions?

EndlessMac
Senior User
Nov 3, 2009, 02:49 PM

What do you have your cookies settings set to? Go into Firefox preferences and select the Privacy tab. I don't have any problems with Apple's website. Also just to make sure we are on the same page the latest version of Firefox is 3.5.4

opus_az  (op)
Nov 3, 2009, 08:58 PM

Hi, thanks. Yeah, Ff is 3.5.4.

My Ff privacy tab defaults to Remember history so there's no visible settings. If I change that to Use custom settings for history, everything is checked except Auto start in private browsing, and Clear history when closing. All that looks like standard and default settings. Quitting firefox and reopening it, the Privacy tab reverts to Remember history.

I added apple.com as a blocked site for cookies (Priv tab, Use custom settings, exceptions). That seems to help. I don't know if there'll be any bad repercussions though. But at least I can get some work done.

Hmmm...

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Nov 3, 2009, 09:16 PM

I highly doubt the problem you are having is with cookies, but you can determine this for certain by testing Firefox in another OS X account on your Mac.

opus_az  (op)
Nov 6, 2009, 06:13 PM

Verified for two users on my computer. And verified for another user on another computer. Harrumph.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Nov 6, 2009, 06:26 PM

Verified what? How did you conduct this test?

Forum Links
Forum Rules