Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Battery length while playing music?

Battery length while playing music?
kpne1home
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 21, 2003, 11:42 PM

I'm really looking to get a lap top and I'm just wondering about the battery length. They claim to get 5 hours out of it but it seems like noone ever gets that. Well my main questions is, how long can you get it to play music on itunes through some headphones?

Also, can you turn off the screen, like a sleep mode, and still have it play music?

PowerTower Fan
Aug 22, 2003, 01:31 AM

In July I did a 6 hour drive from the Bay Area to LA, using my Powerbook just for playing mp3's about 4 hours of the time. When I arrived, the battery life in my TiBook was, from what I remember, still around half charged. I just turned down the brightness all the way so the screen was black which doesn't put the Powerbook to sleep. So yes, just playing iTunes and turning off the screen really gets amazing battery life.

Macfreak7
Mac Elite
Aug 22, 2003, 01:50 AM

Why don't you get an iPod instead? (That's assuming you have another computer to transfer songs from.)

kpne1home  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 22, 2003, 10:18 AM

cause i dont think my dad would buy an ipod and powerbook, just powerbook. maybe ill wait till i can get a discount and bundle for a education deal. If only they gave educational deals to students in high school.

legionare
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 22, 2003, 01:32 PM

Translation: Two and half to three hours in real world.

dreamBweaver
Forum Regular
Aug 22, 2003, 04:17 PM

When I've dimmed screen brightness on my PB 12 at the first 2 to 3 bar levels (still good enough to be read), I've gotten 3.5+ hours of life out of my PB!
Looking forward.

beachmark
Forum Regular
Aug 22, 2003, 05:18 PM

My 17inch plays well over four hours of music when the screen is dimmed andthe music only through it speakers. However when connecting my JBL Creature speaker sto my 17inch and using the battery the playing time drops significantly. At that time the advice s power plug in the wall and music volume to maximum.
g.r.e.e.t.i.n.g.s
mark ®
hanging out in san francisco - wellington - cape town (or in between)
Powerbook 17 inch MacOS 10.4.3Eng • Palm E2 • Motorola Razr • iPod Flash 1Gb • iPod mini 2nd-4Gb

Forum Links
Forum Rules