Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Opera 8 Preview 1

Opera 8 Preview 1
F_Elz
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 7, 2005, 04:32 PM

Its up for download, stable for a preview. It has really changed. Has spellcheck (in the edit menu!) Have fun!

http://my.opera.com/forums/showthrea...threadid=78078

HOMBRESINIESTRO
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 7, 2005, 04:43 PM

Very fast indeed. The new interface looks much cleaner.
Nevertheless I'll stick with OmniWeb. Feels better. :-P
But it's nice to have a choice.
Scarcely pausing for breath, Vroomfondel shouted, "We DON'T demand solid facts! What we demand is the total ABSENCE of solid facts. I demand that I may or may not be Vroomfondel!"

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 7, 2005, 05:06 PM

The interface is butt ugly as usual for European software.

However, I have notice two very nice details in Opera 8:
[list=1][*]Button highlights are animated. A very nice detail for a company that produces otherwise so ugly buttons.[*]Opera 8 now has a "trash" for accidently closed tabs (or pages as they call them). This is much less annoying than OmniWeb's and Mozilla's "do you really want to close me, do you really want to make it go?" dialogs and Safari's "poof it's gone for good" behavior. [/list=1]

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Jan 7, 2005, 05:09 PM

Can someone post a screen shot of it in action? I won't be on a Mac for a little while and I can't find one anywhere. Thanks.

phaet0n
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 7, 2005, 05:30 PM

I love Opera 8. It's so much faster than surfing with Safari, or for that matter Camino or Firefox. What's really special is the full screen feature which totally hides they UI, which I think is great, but if it annoys you then you have no reason to complain anymore. It totally makes the web experience _cinematic_. On top of that you can switch between tabs by pressing select-tab.

I just have Gmail open in the background, and run apps over top. Remember to ask gmail to sign-in anyway even though it says the browser is not supported, because Opera 8 now supports Gmail.

On top of that, with a little hand tweaking of Opera's preferences in "~/Library/Preferences/Opera Preferences/Opera 7 Prefererences" you can get it to filter out ads. Check out http://www.schrode.net/opera/url_filtering/ for details and http://pgl.yoyo.org/adservers/ for an updated list of ad servers to filter. It makes the web so much less annoying.

Yes there are a few stability issues, and some websites might not render perfectly (because web designers don't test with Opera) but must admit I'm just a totally ecstatic user, who runs Opera on both my Linux desktop and my Mac laptop and loves every minute of it. It just makes the internet enjoyable.

Mr Heliums
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 7, 2005, 05:38 PM

Originally posted by phaet0n:
. It totally makes the web experience _cinematic_.
Why on earth would you want a web browser to be cinematic?

osxisfun
Jan 7, 2005, 05:46 PM

umm this is cool and all but i don't (and this is just me) don't give a hoot how my sites render in opera. if i (ever) get a tech support from an opera user i am just going to have to politely say, user a different browser....

I'm not trying to be mean, i just can't spend time on a browser so few use*

*except for safari of course

phaet0n
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 7, 2005, 05:48 PM

Originally posted by Mr Heliums:
Why on earth would you want a web browser to be cinematic?
To be honest, I really don't know, it just makes those flash heavy band sites I like visiting all that more immersive, I guess. It's not a big deal, it's just nice.

Forum Links
Forum Rules