Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > . sit files

. sit files
DIPESH14
Jun 5, 2005, 03:24 PM

Hi. I was wondering if anyone could help, I am a complete mac newb, just bought an iMac G5 yesterday. I was tryig to install some software, namely Macromedia Director the file is a .sitx file. I can extract it fine using stuffit but after the file is a.sit file, it brings up the error 'The StuffIt engine was unable to determone the file format (17514). This happens on all my .sit files. What am I doing wrong?! Thanks in advance.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jun 5, 2005, 03:40 PM

Try redownloading and installing Stuffit and see if that works.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Hodog16
Jun 5, 2005, 04:26 PM

I'm in the same boat, new to macs and just got a new iMac.

I know I have stuffit expander because it opens .zip files without a problem, but for some reason when I try to open .sit files with stuffit, it ends up downloading the .sit file to the desktop and Microsoft Word opens? Strange.

I guess I'll try to get stuffit from the website and see if it corrects it.

Hodog16
Jun 5, 2005, 04:32 PM

Yup, just downloaded stuffit expander from their website and it works now. I know OS X comes with stuffit so it's weird it didn't work out of the box.

Oh well, I'll chalk this one up to inexperience

DIPESH14  (op)
Jun 5, 2005, 05:12 PM

Ive tried uninstalling and downloading stuffi expander, but still having the same problem accessing .sit files. Glad it works for you Hodog.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jun 5, 2005, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by Hodog16
I know OS X comes with stuffit so it's weird it didn't work out of the box.
10.4 doesn't come with Stuffit. Which is good, because maybe that will get people to stop using Stuffit.

And to Dipesh, how did you uninstall and reinstall Stuffit?
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

DIPESH14  (op)
Jun 5, 2005, 05:38 PM

I just dragged everything from the applications folder to the trash bin. Have I not uninstalled it properly?

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jun 5, 2005, 05:46 PM

The Stuffit installer also installs a framework into /Library/Frameworks. I think that's actually what they call "the Stuffit Engine," so you might try deleting that too. (I believe the installer actually has an uninstall option. It might be easiest to use that.)
Chuck
___

DIPESH14  (op)
Jun 5, 2005, 05:57 PM

I've tried deleting everything from the library/frameworks and reinstalling but I get the error mesage 'An unexpected error occured (error code - 10660). Any ideas to what I'm doing wrong? Thanks.

Hodog16
Jun 5, 2005, 07:58 PM

Oh, I read somewhere that stuffit expander came with Tiger. Oh well.

The installer does have an uninstall function so I imagine that's the best way to make sure everything's deleted.

DIPESH14: Is this a file on the internet from Macromedia's website? Maybe I can try it to see what happens.

jay3ld
Senior User
Jun 5, 2005, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by DIPESH14
I've tried deleting everything from the library/frameworks and reinstalling but I get the error mesage 'An unexpected error occured (error code - 10660). Any ideas to what I'm doing wrong? Thanks.
Dont Delete EVERYTHING!!!

Your trying to mess up your mac!!!

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jun 5, 2005, 08:08 PM

Stuffit came with every previous version, but not Tiger for whatever reason.
Chuck
___

Hodog16
Jun 5, 2005, 09:02 PM

^Ah, that must be it. Got it backwards.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jun 5, 2005, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by jay3ld
Dont Delete EVERYTHING!!!

Your trying to mess up your mac!!!
Just to clarify: Anything installed in /Library/Frameworks is optional third-party software. System stuff is installed in /System/Library/Frameworks.

As for Dipesh, have you tried opening the file within Stuffit? It may be that the file's connection to Stuffit is screwed up.
Chuck
___

DIPESH14  (op)
Jun 6, 2005, 02:18 AM

Hi, thanks for everyones reply.. I didnt delete everything from the library/frameworks folder, just the stuffit engine stuff. Hodog, the file from the macromedia website is just the Macromedia Director trial, if you could try it and let me know what you get, that would be great. Chuckit, I have tried dragging it into the stuffit package and opening within stuffit, but the same thing happens. Thanks for your help everyone.

Hodog16
Jun 6, 2005, 11:49 AM

DIPESH14: I just downloaded Director, and it comes as a .sit file off the website, which stuffit then opens after downloading into a folder which has the drive image (dmg) located inside it along with some pdf files. I'd offer to send it to you but it's a good 50 MB or so.

I guess get stuffit expander again from their website, run the installer and cross your fingers?

Sven G
Professional Poster
Jun 6, 2005, 11:59 AM

Every time I right-click on a stuffed, zipped, etc. file on the Desktop, I get a small error window stating "got a raw cfm pointer to mach-o routine", and then the Finder quits and restarts: this happens in Tiger, and happened also in Panther - both for StuffIt- and Apple BOMArchiveHelper-encoded items.

Another very strange thing, indeed...

The freedom of all is essential to my freedom. - Mikhail Bakunin

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 6, 2005, 12:35 PM

Why did Macromedia give you Director Stuffed?

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

DIPESH14  (op)
Jun 6, 2005, 01:14 PM

Right guys, I've downloaded DivX which was also a .sit file and stuffit expanded that file fine. I think it might have been an error with the actual director file. I'm going to try and download it again and see what happens.. I'll let you know...

DIPESH14  (op)
Jun 7, 2005, 02:05 PM

Ive downloaded a new director file from macromedia and it expanded fine using StuffIt, I think it was just a problem with the original file. Sorry, I feel like i've wasted everyones time, but thanks for all your help.
( Last edited by DIPESH14; Jun 7, 2005 at 02:25 PM. )

Sven G
Professional Poster
Jun 9, 2005, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by Sven G
Every time I right-click on a stuffed, zipped, etc. file on the Desktop, I get a small error window stating "got a raw cfm pointer to mach-o routine", and then the Finder quits and restarts: this happens in Tiger, and happened also in Panther - both for StuffIt- and Apple BOMArchiveHelper-encoded items.

Another very strange thing, indeed...
OK, answering the off-topic to myself (maybe it could be of some use to others having the same problem, too), I discovered that it was, essentially, due to having installed StuffIt Expander 9.0.2 on top of StuffIt Deluxe 8.0.2: uninstalling everything and reinstalling Deluxe solved the problem, luckily - no more Finder crashes.

Now, we could maybe need an Apple BOMArchiveHelper-based GUI solution to archive not only in the zip format, but also in others, directly from the Finder...

The freedom of all is essential to my freedom. - Mikhail Bakunin

Forum Links
Forum Rules