Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > i have a q about the battery life on the new ipod color

i have a q about the battery life on the new ipod color
saoxcore
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 4, 2005, 12:58 AM

well, seeing as how ipod made the 20gb ipod colored, AND made it 15 hours instead of 12 hours for battery life, i am now considering getting an ipod.

but, the battery life is what is stopping me from getting it, ive heard SO many complaints about peoples battery life dropping down to 4-6 hours after weeks/months of getting their ipod, and so i'm wondering, is this battery issue fixed?

saoxcore  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 4, 2005, 12:59 AM

and if it was never the battery, and was the user, then how can i make sure my battery is long lasting?

wilsonng
Senior User
Sep 4, 2005, 02:06 AM

Were most of the complaints about earlier generation iPods or the current 4G iPods? I think the iPod battery settlement addressed older iPods.

One thing I do to preserve battery life is to set backlight on for 2 to 5 seconds only. The longer the backlight stays on, the more battery drain.

Sometimes a huge music file (especially Apple Lossless, WAV, or AIFF) can overfill the RAM buffer and force the iPod to access the hard disk more which will cut down battery life.

So, you can start using lower bit rate music files to play with. I usually keep mine at 192 AAC.

If you have any worries, you have the first year warranty to cover you. Then there's the optional extended 2-year warranty that you can purchase as well.

Many retailers are also selling high capacity batteries for the iPods and they have very good instructions and tools on how to open your iPod carefully.

However, I don't remember if they have started coming out with higher capacity batteries for the new iPod 20GB. I'd love to get it but I think 15 hours is plenty enough for me.

The 15 hours rating is what is used when you just press play on the iPod without access the controls which turns on backlight.

I haven't really ever drained my battery out yet so I'm pretty happy with my 20gb ipod color.

misc
Sep 5, 2005, 04:33 PM

iPod battery guestimates will vary with what you are trying to do with your ipod. I've found using my iPod with a boombox or with the volume loud will cause the battery to drain faster. I have my backlight set to fade after three seconds of inactivity. The backlight drains the backlight tremendously. If you are using the remote, pushing any button on it will "activate" the iPod and turn on the backlight.

"And after we are through, ten years in making it to be the most of glorious debuts."

Forum Links
Forum Rules