Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > iBook won't stay asleep!

iBook won't stay asleep!
namannik
Senior User
Jan 30, 2000, 03:57 PM

Whenever I close my iBook with the power on, it starts the sleep process as it always has. But now, as soon as it finishes and the green light begins to pulsate, it immediately wakes back up, and then starts the sleep process again, and this cycle continues on and on until being opened. Also, if I put the iBook to sleep before closing it it stays asleep, but wakes up as soon as it's closed. This is very inconvenient, as I usually just close my iBook when I'm done, and this causes me to have to shut it down each time. I'm thinking maybe there's something wrong with the switch that tells the computer when it's closed. Any ideas?

Keda
Senior User
Jan 30, 2000, 05:08 PM

Do you have anything attached? (USB stuff) This will sometimes wake my moms iBook up.d

Could a key be getting depressed when the book closes? Check the simple stuff first, then move on. I would guess that some activity is happening to keep it awake.

How about software? My G3 once refused to stay asleep because a fax package kept querying to modem port. Another time this Stuffit thing (I forget the name) would start up and search for uncompressed software.

Try starting with a base extension set, and see if the book will go to sleep.

drewman
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 30, 2000, 06:07 PM

The physical switch that lets the iBook know it is closed could be partially broken. Otherwise check to see if your keyboard is totally flat. The Airport antenna lead can get caught in the wrong place and push up on the keyboard.

drewman

namannik  (op)
Senior User
Jan 30, 2000, 11:45 PM

Sure enough, one of the keyboard latches was loose and a key was being pressed when I closed it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules