Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > How likely is the Gay Immigration drive to succeed?

How likely is the Gay Immigration drive to succeed?
The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 4, 2009, 07:23 AM

Senate holds hearing on gay immigration bill

On one hand, the UAFA clearly gives benefits to heterosexual couples that homosexual couples don't enjoy.

On the other hand, congress would need to legalize gay marriage on a federal level for this whole thing to work.

Sounds like an very difficult task, but is that a valid excuse for not doing it?

Atheist
Mac Elite
Jun 4, 2009, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by The Godfather View Post
On one hand, the UAFA clearly gives benefits to heterosexual couples that homosexual couples don't enjoy.
Huh? I think you've got that wrong.

On the other hand, congress would need to legalize gay marriage on a federal level for this whole thing to work.
That's not true at all. It has nothing to do with marriage. They are just changing the wording of a single law to include same-sex partner wherever it says spouse.

There are around 20 countries that already allow for this and the majority do NOT have same-sex marriage.

Sounds like an very difficult task, but is that a valid excuse for not doing it?
Actually it would be relatively simple. It's just that it's a very emotional issue so there is a good chance it will fail.

The Godfather  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 4, 2009, 07:49 AM

Glad to be set straight here. That's why I come here with my questions.

Is there any way to make the gay immigration case less emotional and give it a "necessary for society" appeal?

Atheist
Mac Elite
Jun 4, 2009, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by The Godfather View Post
Glad to be set straight here. That's why I come here with my questions.

Is there any way to make the gay immigration case less emotional and give it a "necessary for society" appeal?
Necessary for society? That's a tall order. I'd just like for people to accept is as fair. As someone personally affected by this I'm eagerly awaiting the outcome of the hearings but I'm not confident that anything will happen during this session of Congress. It's taken almost a decade for them to just hold a hearing.

Forum Links
Forum Rules