Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Processor upgrade question

Processor upgrade question
DanThe
Forum Regular
Feb 3, 2006, 07:15 AM

I have a G4 350mhz with agp graphics,
I have been offered a 933mhz processor from a G4 Quicksilver,
Any idea if its compatible?
Thanks

bowwowman
Mac Elite
Feb 3, 2006, 07:46 AM

It's possible, but because of the difference in bus speeds (100mhz vs. 133), the QS card would only be able to run at 900mhz instead of 933.....
Personally I find it hilarious that you have the hots for my gramma. Especially seeins how she is 3x your age, and makes your Brittney-Spears-wannabe 30-something wife look like a rag doll who went thru WWIII with a burning stick of dynamite up her a** :)

DanThe  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 3, 2006, 01:22 PM

Still a big benefit though, so it would be just a straight swap then, plug and play?

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 3, 2006, 01:25 PM

The card would run at 700MHz because of the bus, not 900MHz.

Still an appreciable speed boost. And no, it wont be plug and play because the QuickSilver processor cards require and additional power feed that earlier G4 motherboards did not supply.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

DanThe  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 3, 2006, 01:27 PM

But it will run?
So what would be the best way round the power supply?

zacharydz
Forum Regular
Feb 3, 2006, 05:32 PM

If I remember correctly, since the Quicksilver CPUs are alot bigger than the Sawtooth ones, the Quicksilver CPUs will hit the secondary IDE controller, and thus you would have to bend all the pins down and solder them back to the IDE cable.

I'm not sure about modding the power connection that goes into the actual CPU, but I'm not exactly sure if the PS from the sawtooths will be strong enough for the new CPU if you have other powered peripherals installed. The good news is that the sawtooths can accept standard ATX power supplies with minor modifications. I put a cheap $15 550W ATX power supply in my Sawtooth and it works fine. I just had to splice a couple of wires. Look at xlr8yourmac for details.
Macbook 1.83 Ghz CD, 2 GB RAM, 320 GB HD, OS 10.6.2

DanThe  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 3, 2006, 08:18 PM

Thanks for that mate, think i'll have a go at this then, any more info will be greatly appreciated

Forum Links
Forum Rules