Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Government report that showed terrorism worldwide went down was a false

Government report that showed terrorism worldwide went down was a false
TheMosco
Mac Elite
Jun 13, 2004, 02:44 PM

http://www.globeandmail.com/servlet/...BNStory/Front/

Atleast they aren't trying to cover it up. Here are some quote:

"Very embarrassing. I am not a happy camper over this. We were wrong," the secretary told NBC's Meet the Press.

--------

"It's a numbers error. It's not a political judgment that said, 'Let's see if we can cook the books.' We can't get away with that now. Nobody was out to cook the books. Errors crept in," he told ABC's This Week.

---------

A leading House Democrat, Rep. Henry Waxman of California, had challenged the findings, contending they were manipulated for political purposes. The conclusion that terrorism was on the decline was used to boost one of U.S. President Bush's chief foreign policy claims, success in countering terror.

--------

The April report said attacks had declined last year to 190, down from 198 in 2002 and 346 in 2001. The 2003 figure would have been the lowest level in 34 years and a 45 per cent drop since 2001, Mr. Bush's first year as president.

The report also showed the virtual disappearance of attacks in which no one died.
AXP
ΔΣΦ

macvillage.net
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 13, 2004, 05:20 PM

I'm curious if there will be inquery about this one.

If a company makes an honest mistake about it's financials, even a computer glitch, it's officers can be held criminally responsible these days. We make our CEO's sign that their companies statements, despite the fact that it would take thousands of man hours (well over a years worth) to verify them personally. And we now hold them too it.... Why can't our government leaders be under this same preasure?

I'd say national security, and defrauding the american people is a lot worse than accounting having a computer glitch or a bad SQL query when tallying up accounts.

Now why can't the same be for our government?

TheMosco  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 13, 2004, 05:43 PM

its funny to read threads like this one:

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...terrorism+down

It will be interesting to see what the new numbers will be.
AXP
ΔΣΦ

tie
Professional Poster
Jun 26, 2004, 04:30 PM

Well, in fact the original numbers were off by a factor of two in how many were killed by terrorist attacks. "Significant attacks" are at a 21-year high. (link)

As usual, Powell was completely wrong. Whether they did this deliberately or are incompetent, they should be fired -- but as usual in this administration, nobody will be held responsible. I think incompetence at the State Department is also at a 21-year high.

Atomic Rooster
Jun 26, 2004, 05:11 PM

Originally posted by tie:
As usual, Powell was completely wrong. Whether they did this deliberately or are incompetent, they should be fired -- but as usual in this administration, nobody will be held responsible. I think incompetence at the State Department is also at a 21-year high.
I believe it was not Powell's fault. He probably is the most honest one of Bush's cronies. I wonder why he hasn't quit. He's been given the shaft by Bush many times. He just doesn't fit in with the other neocon fascists. Maybe he was fed bad info to shaft him again.

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 26, 2004, 05:36 PM

Originally posted by Atomic Rooster:
I believe it was not Powell's fault. He probably is the most honest one of Bush's cronies. I wonder why he hasn't quit. He's been given the shaft by Bush many times. He just doesn't fit in with the other neocon fascists. Maybe he was fed bad info to shaft him again.
Colin Powell is a great guy and is stuck with the job from hell, being America's top diplomat in a time when diplomacy seems out of style.
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 26, 2004, 05:38 PM

Originally posted by Atomic Rooster:
I think Powell is still politically ambitious, and abandoning the Bush administration would have a rather devastating effect on his career as they tend to react poorly to such disloyal acts.

Zimphire
Baninated
Jun 26, 2004, 07:53 PM

But wait, I thought this administration never admits to being wrong..

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 26, 2004, 08:12 PM

Originally posted by Zimphire:
But wait, I thought this administration never admits to being wrong..
Kinda weird, huh?
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

Forum Links
Forum Rules