Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > How to burn a "business card" CD-R in a Powerbook?

How to burn a "business card" CD-R in a Powerbook?
starman
Clinically Insane
Jul 14, 2003, 06:41 PM

Hi all,
How can someone do this without runing the drive? Is there an adapter of some kind? I have an internal drive on my PC. Is there any way to use that to burn a Mac-based CD?

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

gwright
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 14, 2003, 06:46 PM

the powerbook's slot loading drive will not accept cdr media except 12cm discs.

Originally posted by starman:
Hi all,
How can someone do this without runing the drive? Is there an adapter of some kind? I have an internal drive on my PC. Is there any way to use that to burn a Mac-based CD?

Mike

starman  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jul 14, 2003, 08:05 PM

Originally posted by gwright:
Well, no sh*t.

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

MGossett
Jul 14, 2003, 08:08 PM

I saw something a lonnng time ago (a little over a year) about Sony making an adapter for the smaller-size CDs and bundling it with their digital cameras (at least the ones that write to those kind of CDs). Sorry I don't have more info than that, but maybe it will get you on the right track...

-Mike

gwright
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 14, 2003, 08:19 PM

Hey thanks

Well, no sh*t.

Mike

nayr x
Forum Regular
Jul 14, 2003, 09:35 PM

Originally posted by MGossett:
I saw something a lonnng time ago (a little over a year) about Sony making an adapter for the smaller-size CDs and bundling it with their digital cameras (at least the ones that write to those kind of CDs). Sorry I don't have more info than that, but maybe it will get you on the right track...

-Mike
Yeah, there are these sony made "rings" in which an (i think) 8cm CD snaps-in for use in a standard cd drive. (my work has a bunch of those CD-R mavicas, so those stupid black rings are everywhere in the office) The thing is: most drawer loading CD drives have an indentation for 8cm CD's, and my slot loading 500MHz TiBook will not recognize an 8cm CD that is snapped into a ring, so im not sure what good they are/ maybe the newer combo/suprdrives can read/burn discs in these rings? Im sure sony will have something on their website, but it's up to you to decide to purchase such a product... it sure didnt work for me.

(Perpetuating detached, existentialist ennui since 2001)

Riemann Zeta
Jul 14, 2003, 09:40 PM

The Sony adaptor is bullshit. It exists, of course, however, it does not prevent an irregularly shaped disc from getting stuck in the PB drive. My recommendation: an external FW CD-RW drive, they are fast (24x) and fairly cheap these days. If you want to go even cheaper, try USB CD-R, but be prepared to wait and suffer numerous 'buffer underruns.'
God is just a statistic...

geekwagon
Senior User
Jul 14, 2003, 10:31 PM

Originally posted by gwright:
Interestingly, there are lots of slot loading CD players that DO accept the "CD single" sized disks. The CD player in my car is but one example. And yes, I have tried it, it spit it out correctly and everything.

I dunno if it would work on the business card ones (where they have cut 2 big chunks out of the disk) but I kinda doubt it so I'm not going to try

nayr x
Forum Regular
Jul 14, 2003, 10:48 PM

I dunno if it would work on the business card ones (where they have cut 2 big chunks out of the disk) but I kinda doubt it so I'm not going to try [/B]
I didnt realize until just now you were referring to the actual business card shaped CD-Rs... i thought you were (for some reason) looking to burn a Vcard to a mini CD-R.. In your case, i am next to positive that the "rectangular" CD-R wont fit in a sony "ring". FYI...

nayr x
Forum Regular
Jul 16, 2003, 11:28 AM

BTW, I also just realized how much relavence this thread actually has for me... "Buisness Card" CR-Rs would work great for a marketing project I'm currently working on.... Are their store-bought BC CD-Rs that can be burned in (any) consumer cd-r drive? The only ones I have ever seen have come from ad agencys, and are silver on the bottom (indicating a non-burnable CD)...If anyone knows more about these, please post!

MaxPower2k3
Mac Elite
Jul 16, 2003, 12:24 PM

http://www.buy.com/retail/product.as...queryType=comp

They're quite expensive compared to regular CDs (and, after all, they hold less) but i suppose since they're 'specialty' cds they can charge more for them.

They only hold 50 megs each, though, so i guess a video editor who wanted to distribute samples of his work on these might need to look to full-sized CDs.

I assume they're burnable in any tray-loading drive with the indentation in the middle.. otherwise, why would they sell them?

CIA
Mac Elite
Jul 17, 2003, 03:43 PM

Has anyone made a DVD-R or DVD+R version of these yet? Might be a solution for video editors, or a good way for studios to distribute trailers or promos for movies, give em out at the theaters....

gdiddy
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 17, 2003, 04:51 PM

Save your self some stress and money and look on dealmac.com or in your local paper for a deal on a firewire enclosure and then look for a deal on a fast burner. CompUSA, BestBuy, Office Max etc always have 48-52x burners on sale for 19.99 (after rebates) Check out xlr8yourmac or drive compatibility. I built my own FireWire CD-RW (ADS case and TDK 48x24x48) for $60 after all was said and done.

Much cheaper than having to take you 'Book in for repairs when you get one of those damned things stuck in there.
Michael: Hasn't everything been sort of discovered now by like Magellan and Cortez?

Buster: Oh, yeah yeah, those guys did a pretty good job.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jul 18, 2003, 12:54 AM

I think the biz card CDs are one of the most idiotic ideas. Not only are they not compatible with any slot-loading drive, they are not always balanced, which will force the drive to slow down to read it properly.

And clients don't appreciate it when they have to call their computer guy (and pay him his hourly rate) to extract a stuck CD from their computer.

Just save yourself and the recipients of the CDs a whole lot of headache and send a standard 12cm CD.

tooki

stevesnj
Mac Elite
Jul 18, 2003, 01:18 AM

Hi all,

Mike

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=58641
MacBook Pro 15" i7 ~ Snow Leopard ~ iPhone 4 - 16Gb

Forum Links
Forum Rules