Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Dell's 12-inch notebook

Dell's 12-inch notebook (Page 2)
BigDaddy
Forum Regular
Aug 7, 2003, 06:52 PM

BTW, this is a Mac forum, dude. You may just want to go hang with the Windows people instead, we're really not open to being "evangelised" to.

Don't let the door wack your bum on the way out! [/B]

It is good to see you have such an open mind.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Aug 7, 2003, 07:11 PM

Originally posted by BigDaddy:
It is good to see you have such an open mind.
hehehe

Wel, I'm just tired of the WinTel crowd trying to come in here and convert people. Yes, it's a public forum, but the vast majority of us here ARE Macheads and are pretty happy with the platform. I guess the point is, I don't go to their boards to evangelize so I expect that same common courtesy from them.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 7, 2003, 07:15 PM

It's good to see that the notebook is loaded with MS Windows XP Professional rather than some low-end model with the Home Edition. [need to pay more to upgrade for the Pro.

MS should offer one single XP box rather than the sounds cheap and no-fills Home edition and one "looks better" Professional edition.

I feel sorry for those people who bought PC notebook/desktop, but they were loaded with Home edition or need to pay the price to upgrade for the Professional.

On my local PC cloned vendor, low-end PC w/o any OS pre-installed. I assumed it is targeted for upgrade buyers. The licensing is higher than Apple does.

Microsoft Windows XP Home add $99
Microsoft Windows XP Pro add $159
OR
upgrade from Home to Pro add $59

Mac OS X Panther $129

Going back to topic.
DELL Latitude X300: ugly outlook (Business users don't care), no Bluetooth built-in and not using 802.11g ( this is year 2003.. I guess business users will care about this).. legacy ports (ain't Mr. DELL loves to show the whole world that he is the one who remove the floppy drive FIRST? why not removing the parallel port?) [done ranting]

PowerBook 12": waiting for a refresh.. higher clock speed and lower price are also welcome.

BigDaddy
Forum Regular
Aug 7, 2003, 08:53 PM

Originally posted by MacNStein:
hehehe

Wel, I'm just tired of the WinTel crowd trying to come in here and convert people. Yes, it's a public forum, but the vast majority of us here ARE Macheads and are pretty happy with the platform. I guess the point is, I don't go to their boards to evangelize so I expect that same common courtesy from them.

I hear you man. I myself like both but see where you are coming from.

Riemann Zeta
Aug 8, 2003, 10:55 AM

Ok, I'll bite. Windows XP is a fine operating system. I can't see how it is unstable--Windows NT 4.0 was "wildly unstable," Windows 2000/XP are rock solid. The file system (NTFS) is far better than Apple's 1980-vitage HFS and the two OSs are comprable in overall stability. The only things that I do not like about XP are: (1) the godawful cheesy UI, which looks like a half-assed (more like .25-assed) version of Apple's beautiful Aqua (although unfortunately Apple is regressing towards an ugly-ass UI with Panther) and (2) the half-assed DOS terminal instead of an honest-to-god real unix terminal.
God is just a statistic...

Forum Links
Forum Rules