Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 12" PBG4 (rev. B) and Formac 2010 monitor

12" PBG4 (rev. B) and Formac 2010 monitor
mellowman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 1, 2004, 07:35 AM

Just bought a 12" G4 PB with the mini DVI socket, and am wondering how to get it to work with my Formac TFT2010 monitor (DVI version).

I want to use the full screen area of the monitor at the optimum resolution (1600x1200).

Is this possible? Can someone give me a URL link or walkthrough instructions?

All I got was either full screen (on the 2010) at the fuzzy lower resolution or 1024x768 native the same size as the PB's tiny screen.

Thanks

David

mellowman  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 1, 2004, 10:05 AM

Sad replying to my own post but the answer might help someone in the same position...

I had to plug in an external keyboard and mouse and close the PB lid - everything then appeared on the Formac as it should.

Have to say the PB G4 mated this way with the 2010 is a fantastic combination!

D

Riemann Zeta
Jan 1, 2004, 03:29 PM

As a person who just switched from a 15" Ti to a 12" Al Rev2, I find it unfortunate that the 12" does not have enough video RAM to run two displays simultaneously. If the 12" had 64MB of RAM it would be utterly perfect.
God is just a statistic...

madmacgames
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 1, 2004, 04:21 PM

the 12" revB will run 2 displays at once.. I do it all the time.

Running 2 displays at once you can either mirror, which is what you were doing and did not like. I do not like it either on large screens because the secondary display mirrors the primary display (the 12" screen).

Or you can do dual display mode. With both displays on, goto System Prefs -> Displays, and in there will be a tab about both displays. Turn Mirroring off and you'll see 2 screens. Here you can slide each desktop around to different positions, and also move the dock & system bar from one display to the other (by dragging the small white rectagle that represents the bar). Also in this mode, each screen will now show settings for itself, so you can have indivudal resolutions, color profiles, etc for each screen.

Its really pretty cool. I have mine setup like this:
dual display mode; secondary display holds the dock and system bar. This is really pretty flexible this way. If I have the secondary display plugged in and wake the PB with and external keyboard or mouse, the 12" display stays off and the external is my main; if I want to use both, I just wake up the PB screen and the secondary is still the main display (I prefer the secondary to have the dock and system bar); and then if I unplug it, the dock and bar go back to the 12" display. It remembers the setting to, so the moment a secondary display is plugged in, it switches the bar and dock over to that display with the remembered setting for that display...

I had a bit of trouble with this too, because as with most things in OS X, it was overly simple to do, and I overlooked it at first.

Dr.Michael
Jan 1, 2004, 04:51 PM

Originally posted by Riemann Zeta:
As a person who just switched from a 15" Ti to a 12" Al Rev2, I find it unfortunate that the 12" does not have enough video RAM to run two displays simultaneously. If the 12" had 64MB of RAM it would be utterly perfect.
Thats not true.
Look at the specs (or do the math yourself):

Quoted from the apple site:

NVIDIA GeForce FX Go5200 graphics processor with AGP 4X support and 32MB of DDR SDRAM video memory (12-inch models)

* Dual display and video mirroring: Simultaneously supports up to 1024 by 768 pixels on the built-in display and up to 2048 by 1536 pixels on an external display, both at millions of colors.

abbasabdul
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 9, 2004, 02:11 AM

ok i have tried to get the extrnal monitor to act as the primary following your instructions and i just cant do it.

My freind has the opposite problem his external monitor acts as the primary one and he cant make it secondary. Tried disconnecting, rebooting, nothing.

Maybe we should just switch laptops.

Any help would be appreciated.

Originally posted by madmacgames:
the 12" revB will run 2 displays at once.. I do it all the time.

Running 2 displays at once you can either mirror, which is what you were doing and did not like. I do not like it either on large screens because the secondary display mirrors the primary display (the 12" screen).

Or you can do dual display mode. With both displays on, goto System Prefs -> Displays, and in there will be a tab about both displays. Turn Mirroring off and you'll see 2 screens. Here you can slide each desktop around to different positions, and also move the dock & system bar from one display to the other (by dragging the small white rectagle that represents the bar). Also in this mode, each screen will now show settings for itself, so you can have indivudal resolutions, color profiles, etc for each screen.

Its really pretty cool. I have mine setup like this:
dual display mode; secondary display holds the dock and system bar. This is really pretty flexible this way. If I have the secondary display plugged in and wake the PB with and external keyboard or mouse, the 12" display stays off and the external is my main; if I want to use both, I just wake up the PB screen and the secondary is still the main display (I prefer the secondary to have the dock and system bar); and then if I unplug it, the dock and bar go back to the 12" display. It remembers the setting to, so the moment a secondary display is plugged in, it switches the bar and dock over to that display with the remembered setting for that display...

I had a bit of trouble with this too, because as with most things in OS X, it was overly simple to do, and I overlooked it at first.

Forum Links
Forum Rules