Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > thinking of getting a 12" PB soon

thinking of getting a 12" PB soon
SeSawaya
Mac Elite
Aug 16, 2004, 08:54 PM

Hey all, I'm thinking of getting a 12" PB w/ superdrive soon. I'd like to know a couple of things.

1st, when was the last update for them? (hate to buy one only to see an update in 2 weeks!)

2nd do these things have any problems like the logic boards in the iBook?

3rd do these things still get HOT (like the old Tis?)

I'm probably going to buy one in the next 3 weeks or so (getting rid of my awesome iMac 17 for a portable again)

thanks for any help!!!

Kent

SeSawaya  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 16, 2004, 11:17 PM

BTW, I havent owned a "powerbook" since my 1400 166mhz in '98

happy to be coming back

mcsharick
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Location: I'm somewhere in the Northwest...its raining...and I love it!
Aug 17, 2004, 12:29 AM

Originally posted by SeSawaya:
1st, when was the last update for them? (hate to buy one only to see an update in 2 weeks!)
2nd do these things have any problems like the logic boards in the iBook?
3rd do these things still get HOT (like the old Tis?)
1.) Last update for 12" Rev C. PB which bumped the cache and CPU and superdrive was in April 2004. The earliest the next rev might come would be at MacWorld in January, or possibly a bit sooner in December. One thing is for certain however, It will not be a G5 PowerBook. Of course that is speculation on my part. So the next rev might take the 12" to a 1.5 G4, maybe an 8x superdrive, maybe FireWire 800, maybe even Gigabit Ethernet card 10/100/1000. If you think you can live without those additions, there should be nothing stopping you from this rev.

2.) No major problems with this rev, that earlier models suffered, like white spots and heat issues. Look at macfixit.com and through these and Apple's forums. They usually are indicators of at least some manufacturing "letdowns" with specific models.

3.) Yes they get hot but not like earlier models and definitely not like the Tis! They get warm, but not hot to the touch. They run cooler if elevated. Heat is not an issue with this particular model of 12", but I know some of the earlier 12" PBs did have heat issues.

Hope that helps.

Graymalkin
Mac Elite
Aug 17, 2004, 02:05 AM

The Rev A 12" Powerbooks get pretty warm but from what I've seen of the latter models that problem is largely gone. I've got a Rev A and I'm really pleased with it. I'm envious of the Rev Cs because they've got much nicer video cards and 512KB of L2 cache. The larger cache and the video card coupled with the higher clock speed makes a huge difference in games and media apps like Logic and Photoshop.

SeSawaya  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 18, 2004, 11:45 AM

thanks guys, I'm really looking forward to getting one. That along with Airport express!

sniffer
Professional Poster
Aug 18, 2004, 12:05 PM

Originally posted by mcsharick:
2.) No major problems with this rev, that earlier models suffered, like white spots and heat issues. Look at macfixit.com and through these and Apple's forums. They usually are indicators of at least some manufacturing "letdowns" with specific models.
Second that. Feels very sturdy, and no childhood problems like white spots and heat issue like problems have appeared on the net with this revision as far I've seen. A mature product in other words.

Sniffer gone old-school sig

rytc
Senior User
Aug 18, 2004, 04:35 PM

Originally posted by Graymalkin:
The Rev A 12" Powerbooks get pretty warm but from what I've seen of the latter models that problem is largely gone. I've got a Rev A and I'm really pleased with it. I'm envious of the Rev Cs because they've got much nicer video cards and 512KB of L2 cache. The larger cache and the video card coupled with the higher clock speed makes a huge difference in games and media apps like Logic and Photoshop.
Yea, my Rev C 12" stays pretty cool, only time it started to warm up was when I had it sitting on a duvet and suddenly realised I had blocked off all the heat vents - doh -

Riemann Zeta
Aug 20, 2004, 07:02 PM

I have a Rev B. and it does not get that hot--that is, not crotch-burning hot like those 'portable desktop' PC laptops. Of course, I am jealous of the Rev. C video card, as it has 64 MB of RAM, but I digress.

PS: what the hell is a duvet?
God is just a statistic...

mattyd
Senior User
Aug 20, 2004, 07:22 PM

Originally posted by Riemann Zeta:
PS: what the hell is a duvet?
a blanket. haven't you seen Fight Club?

Forum Links
Forum Rules