Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > I admit - this is a troll post...

I admit - this is a troll post...
kent m
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 5, 2005, 10:11 PM

...but it'll make me feel better. So...

May I humbly suggest that this become the new osX Logo:

Well, of course I'm not serious, but the latest system update has been showing me this little icon more than I've ever seen it before... to the point of driving me to frustration.

Anyway, don't lecture me about RAM requirements, or swap disks, just ignore this post or tell me a joke...

kent m is not a member of any public groups

Tesseract
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 5, 2005, 10:15 PM

Then what would Apple use for the new iPhoto logo?

dreilly1
Mac Elite
Sep 5, 2005, 10:21 PM

Actually, I found that the latest update reduced the beachballing for me. I also got the latest Safari update at the same time, so maybe that explains it. Safari loves the beachball.

Plus, you can't have a proper troll these days without the HA! HA! guy.

Member of the the Stupid Brigade! (If you see Sponsored Links in any of my posts, please PM me!)

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 5, 2005, 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by Tesseract

kent m  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 5, 2005, 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by Tesseract
How about joke for that one?

1st: Knock Knock.

2nd: Who's there?

1st: iPhoto.

2nd: iPhoto who?

1st: ...

(I told you this was a troll post :-)

NeilCharter
Senior User
Sep 5, 2005, 11:06 PM

I agree with the Safari spinning beachball - this mostly happens to me after the app has been opened with multiple tabs in a window. Seems to me that some process is hanging or could be a memory leak.

Anyhoo, best thing I've done is to quit the app and restart. The zippiness comes right back.
If I had a signature, it would look something like this

CaptainHaddock
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 5, 2005, 11:20 PM

I had serious beachball issues with 10.4 and 10.4.1 that were almost all eliminated by 10.4.2. If I leave Safari running for a few days, I start getting them, but it sounds like several hundred (!) little memory leaks have been plugged by the developers, and those fixes will be in the next patch.

yukon
Mac Elite
Sep 6, 2005, 12:39 AM

I don't see the beachball unless I'm using a program I won't use for long. If you start seeing it, don't use that program anymore, you shouldn't have to see it. Safari is horrible for multithreading the UI, so I don't use it (try loading a page, and click stop, it will wait until it's loaded, then the stop button becomes "reload", which you can then watch get depressed and wait longer). Firefox 1.0.x gave the beachball, Deer Park less, Safari did all the time, Camino doesn't really, iCab doesn't, good luck. I see it in HexEdit, XCode, MPlayer & VLC, and I can't replace those applications.

If you're doing networking stuff with the finder, stop to avoid the beachball. Otherwise, you shouldn't see it in the finder. Watch for processes eating CPU or leaking memory in the background, and check your hardware (disk check). If you see a system process doing that, or the Finder is giving trouble, OS X has perhaps failed you, and you need to replace or reinstall it...sorry, it's not perfect or like the old MacOS.

Edit: sorry for being so serious. a priest, a homosexual, and a transvestite walked into a bar, and they totally redecorated the place, it was brilliant.
[img]broken link[/img]
This insanity brought to you by:
The French CBC, driving antenna users mad since 1937.

gradient
Mac Elite
Sep 6, 2005, 03:20 AM

Originally Posted by yukon
Edit: sorry for being so serious. a priest, a homosexual, and a transvestite walked into a bar, and they totally redecorated the place, it was brilliant.
That is the best damn priest, homoxexual and transvestite joke I have EVER heard.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Sep 6, 2005, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by kent m

Well, of course I'm not serious, but the latest system update has been showing me this little icon more than I've ever seen it before... to the point of driving me to frustration.

Anyway, don't lecture me about RAM requirements, or swap disks, just ignore this post or tell me a joke...
I won't lecture you, but I seldom see the SBOD. Of course, my opinion is based on my glorious DP 2.0, but nonetheless if you're seeing the beach ball often there's a problem with your system.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Sep 6, 2005, 10:30 AM

You know what would be great. If the beachball were the logo, they could put it on the front of the box with that stuff that simulates movement with the angle that you're looking at it from. That way it could spin even on the box.
2008 iMac 3.06 Ghz, 2GB Memory, GeForce 8800, 500GB HD, SuperDrive
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 6, 2005, 04:59 PM

A priest and a homosexual walked into a bar, but the transvestite ducked and missed it.

I think Apple would have been more forthcoming if they'd said "Here is our new OS. Before you order it, max out your RAM. Then don't be surprised if some things STILL take a long time. Remember, the beach ball is your friend." It would not have been good for business, but it would have been honest.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

yukon
Mac Elite
Sep 6, 2005, 09:46 PM

It's a slight rephrasing of an Eddie Izzard "emergency joke", it's in Definite Article (the unedited version). If you check his work out, Dress to Kill is probably the best to try first.

I saw the wrist-watch in iTunes today, that's pathetic, but it's always come off as a bad-yet-stable carbon port, an unwieldly codebase I'm sure, but I'm sticking with it until other players get the impressive features. iCab beachballed for a short time today as mplayer had quietly gone out of control. Probably time to figure out how many pageouts is too many,
[img]broken link[/img]

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 6, 2005, 11:42 PM

At least its better than seeing this

kent m  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 7, 2005, 01:56 AM

Originally Posted by Cadaver
At least its better than seeing this
Hey, that's a given... and where's your joke? Aside from the obvious... :-D

Originally Posted by yukon
It's a slight rephrasing of an Eddie Izzard "emergency joke",
...he pauses, as if to say "Wait, did I leave the computer on?... No! I'm a ****in' squirrel..." (you just have to see it)

Okay; joke - and this one will get me into trouble with somebody: Jesus walks into a hotel, puts four nails on the counter and says "Can you put me up for the night?"

...but seriously folks, No, I don't think there's a problem with my machine. This is something I've noticed start since the upgrade to the latest os version. I wish there was a way I could partition a separate HD and tell the system to write it's pagination files to that only... the way it can be done with Photoshop. It's the fragmenting that's killing me, I'm sure.

NeilCharter
Senior User
Sep 7, 2005, 10:36 AM

Hey, that's a given... and where's your joke? Aside from the obvious... :-D

...he pauses, as if to say "Wait, did I leave the computer on?... No! I'm a ****in' squirrel..." (you just have to see it)

Okay; joke - and this one will get me into trouble with somebody: Jesus walks into a hotel, puts four nails on the counter and says "Can you put me up for the night?"

...but seriously folks, No, I don't think there's a problem with my machine. This is something I've noticed start since the upgrade to the latest os version. I wish there was a way I could partition a separate HD and tell the system to write it's pagination files to that only... the way it can be done with Photoshop. It's the fragmenting that's killing me, I'm sure.
Good one Kent I'll have to remember that.

Pull yourself together man. Fragmenting is just a figment of your imagination!

And is there any need or any utility to defrag an OS X drive?
If I had a signature, it would look something like this

yukon
Mac Elite
Sep 7, 2005, 02:08 PM

Eddie Izzard said in Definite Article-
"....Oh, I forgot my rest of the show! How does it go? Oh, emergency joke: two men went into a pub… and they totally redecorated it! It was brilliant! It’s an old joke…"
Eddie Izzard said in Dress to Kill-
"I used to keep my makeup in a squirrel hole, up the tree. The squirrel would keep makeup on one side, and he'd keep nuts on the other side. And sometimes I'd get up that tree, and that squirrel would be covered in makeup! ( mimes squirrel putting on makeup ) "La la, la la… Oh! ( mimes squirrel eating ) What?! **** off!" He seemed to say. And squirrels always eat nuts with two hands, always two hands, and occasionally, they stop and go ( gasps ), as if they're going, "Did I leave the gas on? No! I'm a ****ing squirrel!" And occasionally they go, "****ing nuts! Fed up with them always. I long for a grapefruit."
The following errors occurred when this message was submitted:
Please lengthen your message to at least 3 characters.
OK, N/P.
[img]broken link[/img]

Forum Links
Forum Rules