Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Between MIDs and MP3s, there were MODs and S3Ms (nostalgia thread)

Between MIDs and MP3s, there were MODs and S3Ms (nostalgia thread)
The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 7, 2005, 09:01 PM

I remember quite well that I was very excited to listen to something better than MIDs in my 386 with Windows 3.1. I can't remember what software I was using, but I know it was from Germany (but not Fraunhofer), and that the shareware time limit forced me to look into other programs. I didn't have internet those days, so I had to bike (I was 15) to the Internet cafe 1 km away to get the software and the music. I think it took over 10 minutes each to download the ~1 Megabyte songs. But in the end it all payed, when I got to listen to my favorite: nolimit.mod (There's No Limit) through my cheap 8 bit 22kHz generic brand soundcard.

Remember those days?

cpt kangarooski
Mac Elite
Oct 7, 2005, 09:15 PM

Yes. I still have quite a few tracker files, in fact.
--
This and all my other posts are hereby in the public domain. I am a lawyer. But I'm not your lawyer, and this isn't legal advice.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Oct 7, 2005, 10:39 PM

I have a huge collection. Many which are my own.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

yukon
Mac Elite
Oct 8, 2005, 03:44 PM

Of course, lots of mods, ITs, XMs, etc here. I'm surprised most of yours were ~1mb, mine are anywhere from 15k to 500k, 1mb ones usually had some crap sound clip from a real song etc. It's too bad, MODs were in a way more advanced, playable on old computers, lower filesize, and often much better composing than commercial music.

Some of the best music I have is in impulse tracker files. But the players became crap.....PlayerPro was annoying, MacModPlayer never updated, the frontends for libmikmod etc are usually pretty bad, SoundApp never could play XM...in any case, some of those players would actually play the files differently than others, sounds would disappear or be much quieter or some would be distorted.

Sometimes I see a new application, but it's usually buggy....maybe I should just convert a copy of them all to MP3 so I'd hear them once in a while....
[img]broken link[/img]
This insanity brought to you by:
The French CBC, driving antenna users mad since 1937.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Oct 8, 2005, 03:46 PM

I remember the old versions of Player Pro for 68K, which had really tight hardware support and could draw to the screen faster than the last version on PPC ever could. And it never crashed back then.

I used to use them all the time.

tooki

yukon
Mac Elite
Oct 8, 2005, 03:49 PM

WOW, crap, I looked at Player Pro about a week ago, the original page to see if it had updated (I was archiving old applications), and the page said the author discontinued it. Thanks to this thread, I found it's been open sourced and is being updated.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/playerpro

Player Pro used to be the best player I had, I believe. In later versions, it became very unstable, sometimes slow, there was a basic OS X port that languished. But maybe this will be good.

Edit: It seems that it's pretty slow still on OS X, but not terribly. I'm playing through the real (non-GOTY-CD) Deus Ex soundtrack basically, very nice. It's not entirely faithful to the way it sounds in game (Impulse Tracker), but it's pretty close. Not sure if it's stable, it seems to be. Gotta love the ability to speed up music, turn off instruments, see the piano react in real time.....

Imuaelam, HappyCat, Fly, "en el ca", Lightspeed Express, Deliverance, Elysium, Revenge of Cats....wow....fun. Noisemusic, The Sands, they're all gone....
( Last edited by yukon; Oct 8, 2005 at 04:03 PM. )
[img]broken link[/img]
This insanity brought to you by:
The French CBC, driving antenna users mad since 1937.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Oct 9, 2005, 02:00 AM

I'm excited to see PP v6 if it ever gets released. If only to see a stable OS X version. Antoine Rossett won an Apple Design Award for his latest medical app. Shame he wouldn't continue PP. It's the best way of constructing beats and getting down and dirty with sound I know of.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Forum Links
Forum Rules