Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > USB 2.0 Cameras

USB 2.0 Cameras
mkral
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 30, 2004, 08:05 AM

Maybe someone here can help or at least point me in the right direction, I did a search of the forums, but can't find what I'm looking for. I want to pick up a new digital camera. I'm looking for a compact or ultra-compact camera that is at least a 3.2 Megapixel and has a USB 2.0 (or firewire) interface. Anyone know of such a beast or where to find one. I've already checked cnet & dpreview.com but neither of them list USB 2.0 cameras apart from USB 1.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 30, 2004, 10:54 AM

what about if you get any camera and then get a usb 2 memory stick or compact flash card reader?

CatOne
Mac Elite
Apr 30, 2004, 02:12 PM

Originally posted by mkral:
Maybe someone here can help or at least point me in the right direction, I did a search of the forums, but can't find what I'm looking for. I want to pick up a new digital camera. I'm looking for a compact or ultra-compact camera that is at least a 3.2 Megapixel and has a USB 2.0 (or firewire) interface. Anyone know of such a beast or where to find one. I've already checked cnet & dpreview.com but neither of them list USB 2.0 cameras apart from USB 1.
Why direct connect the camera? I NEVER direct connect the camera.

Just get a USB2 or Firewire card reader, and go that route. Don't worry about the camera's interface.

The cameras I've seen with a Firewire interface onboard are the Canon 1D and 1Ds. They run north of $4000. But you can get a firewire CF reader for about $30.

Betox
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 30, 2004, 02:41 PM

Originally posted by CatOne:
Why direct connect the camera? I NEVER direct connect the camera.

Just get a USB2 or Firewire card reader, and go that route. Don't worry about the camera's interface.

The cameras I've seen with a Firewire interface onboard are the Canon 1D and 1Ds. They run north of $4000. But you can get a firewire CF reader for about $30.

Where can I get a FireWire CF Reader for about $30?
--
QuickSilver 800 Mhz / iBook 500 Mhz / Original 5GB iPod / iPod Shuffle 512 / Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger >> And it IS snappy!

mkral  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 30, 2004, 05:07 PM

I cazn definately do that, however, I guess I"d like to carry "one less thing" I was just curious if there were any compact cameras that have either of the high speed interfaces. Thanks for the thoughts.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 30, 2004, 05:58 PM

you will have more luck finding usb 2 than firewire in a _cheaper_ camera.

the sony dsc-p32 is usb 2, i am sure the rest of that line is all usb 2.

the reason i suggested the reader is that to plug in your camera into your mac and transfer the photos uses camera battery. if this is not a problem, then you should not have a problem finding a usb 2 camera.

i used to have the dsc-p32. $199. no zoom, 3.2megapixels. the quality is very nice. a nice little camera for "happy snaps"

mkral  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 30, 2004, 06:00 PM

Cool, thanks for the advice on the reader & especially on the camera. I'll check out the sony's.

Forum Links
Forum Rules