Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Music Recommendation: In Between Dreams

Music Recommendation: In Between Dreams
Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 30, 2005, 11:48 PM

Well I finally got a hold of this album, and been listening to it for just about a week now. Very cool laidback meaningful stuff. I have recommend Jack Johnson before, and this album is no different.... its awesome. I’ve got most of the music he's recorded for albums, the surfing movies he’s made (as well as the soundtracks). In my opinion, he’s a great artist, with lyrics that I can identify with anywhere.

I'm sure we all think about stuff like.... technology dominating our lives to the point where we plug in and need to watch/play stuff on our devices (PSP, NDS, GBA, etc) even when we commute. Or how, for those of us who live in cities, rarely get to see the starry night sky, etc.

Well if you have been searching for music that describes those thoughts, emotions and sentiments... look no further, because Jack Johnson's: In Between Dreams delivers just that.

This album is more polished and sounds more professional than his previous albums. I cant decide if that’s a good or bad thing, because the music, melodies, lyrics are still awesome. Apart from that this is still Jack Johnson.... you see it in the guitar, beats, melodies and lyrics.

He's on the iTMS, as is this album and a video. If you haven’t heard his music before, off this album I recommend "Constellations”, "Good People", "Never Know" or "Sitting, Waiting, Wishing" (video on iTMS). His music is very beachy/surfie and laidback.... lots of acoustic guitars. I always listen to his music on the way to the beach or back.

Hope you guys enjoy it.

Cheers.
( Last edited by Hawkeye_a; Jul 31, 2005 at 12:44 AM. )

spatterson
Mac Elite
Jul 31, 2005, 12:30 AM

Nice music! I like the acoustic guitar...

Good music for a long drive

Cubeoid
Baninated
Jul 31, 2005, 03:58 AM

U calln me bwoy?! .. This thread was brought to you by the might and power of the original Jack Johnson, sucka.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 31, 2005, 02:39 PM

Yeah i remember hearing that his dad named him after Jack Johnson(the boxer).

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Aug 8, 2005, 05:37 PM

"You rise," he said, "like Aurora."

Ham Sandwich
Aug 9, 2005, 06:40 AM

Jack's not bad - when he's with Ben Harper, though... *phew*! He's got the problem now that he's too popular and his latest album shows it.

Take a listen to Iron and Wine or Red House Painters some time if you like acoustic guitar music...

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 9, 2005, 08:37 AM

Yeah i know. i definately noticed that in this album. it sounds more 'clean and professional' and well produced as opposed to his previous stuff which sound like they were recorded in a shack on the beach.

I had my doubts about this album, and like i said earlier i couldnt decidd if it's a good/bad thing that this album is more polished. But the music and soul is definately the same. i mean the lyrics are just as profound, the guitar is still great....i cant find a reason NOT to like it. (i dont consider popularity as a reason not to appreciate it, but thats just me).

But yeah...JJ with BH is great too especially in that 'Flake' performace at a concert....very cool stuff.

funkboy
Professional Poster
Aug 9, 2005, 09:05 AM

I'm glad to hear the positive review. I've been hesitant to get the album for the aforementioned popularity and studio-production; I was worried it may have been rushed just to cash in on his popularity. I've heard mixed reviews, but from what I can hear of it this is good ol' Jack.

And yes, for all the Miles lovers:
http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/M...listId=2656658

Right Off and Yesternow were the only two tracks on the original album - so that's a lot of extra material!

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Aug 9, 2005, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by funkboy
I'm glad to hear the positive review. I've been hesitant to get the album for the aforementioned popularity and studio-production; I was worried it may have been rushed just to cash in on his popularity. I've heard mixed reviews, but from what I can hear of it this is good ol' Jack.

And yes, for all the Miles lovers:
http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/M...listId=2656658

Right Off and Yesternow were the only two tracks on the original album - so that's a lot of extra material!
Fantastic fidelity, too, but I still prefer the Silent Way Sessions.
"You rise," he said, "like Aurora."

Ham Sandwich
Aug 9, 2005, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a
Yeah i know. i definately noticed that in this album. it sounds more 'clean and professional' and well produced as opposed to his previous stuff which sound like they were recorded in a shack on the beach.

I had my doubts about this album, and like i said earlier i couldnt decidd if it's a good/bad thing that this album is more polished. But the music and soul is definately the same. i mean the lyrics are just as profound, the guitar is still great....i cant find a reason NOT to like it. (i dont consider popularity as a reason not to appreciate it, but thats just me).

But yeah...JJ with BH is great too especially in that 'Flake' performace at a concert....very cool stuff.
Yeah, in my mad rush to post, I should of expanded upon what I meant by too popular. Mainly, past sales have been good and now he's in a proper studio and it sounds very "clean". It is the same 'ol Jack, though, stoned and all. I do miss hearing tracks where he's sitting on his porch on the ocean and you can hear the waves in the background, though. Doing that really gave a sense of personality that a big studio can never give.

May be just me as even though I make primarily electronic music, I always run everything through old compressors and reverb units and mix in ambient noise to get a more analog feel back to a track.

greenamp
Mac Elite
Aug 9, 2005, 03:42 PM

Meh, I was a big fan of Jack Johnson when he came out with his 1st album. But after his 2nd, and now 3rd album which all sound exactly the same his music became very boring and monotonous to me.

He's a extraordinary musician though no doubts. I just think his creativity would benefit a bit more nowadays if he would quit writing all his music by sunset on the beach.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 10, 2005, 01:34 AM

Originally Posted by screamingFit
Yeah, in my mad rush to post, I should of expanded upon what I meant by too popular. Mainly, past sales have been good and now he's in a proper studio and it sounds very "clean". It is the same 'ol Jack, though, stoned and all. I do miss hearing tracks where he's sitting on his porch on the ocean and you can hear the waves in the background, though. Doing that really gave a sense of personality that a big studio can never give.
Yeah i totally agree with you there. in fact thats why i waited this long till i got this album. I loved the old rustic sounds from the old albums ('Symbols in my driveway' for example). I know hes got his own 'studio' (called the Mango tree, isnt it ?). And i wasnt all that impressed with the video they have on the iTMS. it looked too....'produced', which is what i think initially put me off as well. But after spending some time with the album, apart from the missing rustic sounds of the beach...the tunes are great. And yes..he still sounds stonned

MrForgetable
Mac Elite
Aug 10, 2005, 06:20 PM

i went ahead and got this off itunes yesterday evening, and i'm loving it! what other recommendations do you guys have for this genre/type of music?
iamwhor3hay

funkboy
Professional Poster
Aug 10, 2005, 06:50 PM

Any other Jack Johnson is good. Also, check out Let It Die, by Feist (she had a free iTunes song)

jasonsRX7
Mac Elite
Aug 10, 2005, 07:12 PM

I like every Jack Johnson album, and nearly every song on them all. I don't care if they all sound the same, I like that sound.

And Feist - Let it Die is one of the best albums I've heard in a long time

PS. I made an iPhoto slide show of my girlfriend and her daughter to Better Together (the first track on In Between Dreams) and it's the absolute perfect song for that type of thing.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 10, 2005, 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by MrForgetable
i went ahead and got this off itunes yesterday evening, and i'm loving it! what other recommendations do you guys have for this genre/type of music?
I recommended "John Butler Trio" a while ago. Very cool music. Ozzie trio, beachie tunes. If you want to sample their music, try out anything off the 'Sunrise Over Sea' album (http://www.johnbutlertrio.com/)

There's also Jack Johnsons buddy from Hawaii, Donavon Frankenreiter, with similar music styling, but a more 'pop' sound. (www.donavonf.com/). Good stuff, for light easy going music.

Ill check out what you guys have recommended as well....wish we had the iTMS down under.

Cheers

kramer100
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 12, 2005, 08:16 AM

check out and download
roy ayers "holiday"
from the mixed tape site.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 19, 2005, 12:19 PM

"Good People" The first song Steve played in his demo of "Front Row". Got a nice kick out of it hehehe
( Last edited by Hawkeye_a; Oct 13, 2005 at 05:33 AM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules