Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > Friend converting to Mac -Yay! Now what?

Friend converting to Mac -Yay! Now what?
dzp111
Senior User
Nov 6, 2007, 05:57 PM

I was able to convince my friend to, at the least, try the Mac (2 weeks return policy (no questions asked refund)). He's got nothing to lose, basically.

I'll have to walk him through it though for a few days.

First order of business, I'm thinking, is to just clone my hd to his (minus personal stuff). That way, when he calls with problems I'll be familiar with all settings.

Here's one of my questions; what do I need to import his Firefox bookmarks (windows xp), into Safari in his new MacBook?

Also, I'm asking for any suggestions that would help me, help him with his transition.

tks
.................................................. .................................................. ..................................www.DNCH.com

.................................................. .................................................. .......................www.daniel.poirier.com

mduell
Posting Junkie
Nov 6, 2007, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by dzp111 View Post
Here's one of my questions; what do I need to import his Firefox bookmarks (windows xp), into Safari in his new MacBook?
The bookmarks.html file from his Firefox profile.

dzp111  (op)
Senior User
Nov 10, 2007, 05:54 PM

Friend is gone to purchase new Macbook as I type.

I need to know best and easiest way to make his new Mac look, feel and configured exactly like mine.

Do I just migrate?
Clone and drop?
Archive?

A appreciate any personal strategies.
.................................................. .................................................. ..................................www.DNCH.com

.................................................. .................................................. .......................www.daniel.poirier.com

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Nov 10, 2007, 09:45 PM

If he gets a new MacBook, it'll have Leopard on it. And if it has Leopard on it, you can use iChat Screen Sharing to see exactly what's on his screen, so it doesn't have to be configured the same as yours for you to easily support him.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Nov 10, 2007, 10:27 PM

Why would you clone your home directory if all you want identical is your System Preferences? You could just write down your settings or something, but I wouldn't bother - they are easy enough to set yourself, and if he is going to own a computer (any computer) he can take the initiative to poke around System Preferences. It's not that complicated.

My two cents...

dzp111  (op)
Senior User
Nov 10, 2007, 10:49 PM

That makes a lot of sense besson3c. Thanks.

It's the 'keep it simple' philo.

I think though, that I'll get him to get used to stacks even though I don't use it myself. Same as Spaces.

: )

Forum Links
Forum Rules