Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Problem with .exe files

Problem with .exe files
Liangara
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 27, 2006, 09:04 PM

This has been bugging me for weeks now, I have no clue what to do.

Anytime I download an .exe file for installing something, I have no program which can read the file. Please advise as to what program to use, or if need be which I need to download. Links and redirection if there's a previous post like this much appreciated.

~There are absolutely no absolutes~

Jacke
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 27, 2006, 09:07 PM

.exe files are Windows executables.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Feb 27, 2006, 09:25 PM

To elaborate on that, you will not be able to run a Windows .exe unless you use a PC emulator such as Virtual PC (if you're on a PowerPC Mac) or use something like Darwine (if you're on an Intel Mac).

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

philm
Mac Elite
Feb 28, 2006, 05:28 AM

Some .exe files are self-expanding .zip files which are uncompressed by Stuffit Expander.

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Feb 28, 2006, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by Liangara
Anytime I download an .exe file for installing something,
As others have stated .exe are windows programs but let me elaborate further in that you need to make sure what your looking to download and install is for OSX. Typically a OSX program will be in the form of a .dmg and less likely but can be found with an extension of .gz or .tar.

Mike

CaptainHaddock
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 28, 2006, 10:20 AM

Just to add to what's been said: if you've been a Windows user until now, you're probably used to visiting sites that offer Windows software, so you'll have to go find the sites now that host Mac software — and trust me, there's some terrific stuff.

A good place to find nearly any kind of program is Versiontracker.com, but if you want recommendations, read some of the application suggestion threads in this very forum. 95% of Mac software will be downloaded as a disk image (.dmg) file, with a small amount compressed as a .zip or .sit file. Installation is almost always simply mounting the disk image and dragging the application icon to your own Applications folder.

Forum Links
Forum Rules