Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Re:Converting QT movies to iMovie to Tape

Re:Converting QT movies to iMovie to Tape
dalcorta
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 26, 2000, 05:33 PM

I have several scientific quicktime based movies I'd like to get to tape. I have both QuicktimePro, a firewire based mac and digital camera but have not been able to get quicktime movies into a form that iMovie recognizes. Any ideas that don't require expensive cards or software such as Final cut?
Thanks in advance.
DA

Joey
Nov 26, 2000, 10:12 PM

With QT Pro, export (command-E) the files as "Movie to DV Stream" and use whatever you like as the streaming bitrate/quality. I think NTSC is the American formatting standard, PAL is everywhere else. The file will be huge. 1 minute is about 200 MB. You can then open iMovie, Import the file (via the file menu), and the rest is history.

dalcorta  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 26, 2000, 11:48 PM

Joey,
I tried just that under both the default and high bit rate NTSC for the digital video. When I tried to import the file, the file is not listed as importable. I am using iMovie 1.0.2. In looking around other topics, I noticed digital origin editdv unplugged and it seemed to do the job although I didn't like the fact that it inactivated the QT firewire DV enabler (and thus inactivates iMovie control of the attached digital camera). But within about 30 mins of fooling around I was able to transfer QT movies to tape. I'd rather do it with iMovie if I could as the editing and clip handling is much simplified relative to editdv unplugged as well as cheaper. Other tips are welcome.
DA

Jonas Bergvall
Nov 27, 2000, 03:43 AM

No, importing the dv-stream qt movies into iMovie doesn�t seem to work. Try however to put your dv-stream movie into the media-map inside your projectmap. Works for me.

/Jonas

Aric
Forum Regular
Nov 27, 2000, 01:42 PM

Yes, you have to create a new project in imovie, then open the folder for that new project and put your file into the media folder. Now when you open your project, it'll give you a message that you have a file in your media folder and how you want to use it.

dalcorta  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 27, 2000, 02:54 PM

Guys,
Tried it and it works like a charm. Just saved me having to learn more software and spending mucho $s buying it.
Supremely grateful.
Dalcorta

antonio
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 27, 2000, 09:09 PM

hey folks,

this info sounds great but for some reason, i cant even get QT4 Pro to export into DV because i'm playing with mpeg movies - and when i try to export it says there is an error - invalid track found in the movie - anyone know if i can overcome this?

jcarr
Senior User
Nov 28, 2000, 01:28 PM

The MPEG files you have are probably MUXed (i.e. audio and video are combined into a single MPEG track). QuickTime Pro will export the video to something else (CinePak, S�rensen, DV, etc), but the audio will be lost.

MPEGSplit (included with Sparkle) will split most MUXex MPEG files (I found a few that did not work well), but the software is far from elegant, and not all that stable.

Use QuickTIme Pro to export the audio file as an AIFF file, and you should be able to import it into iMovie. Once you have the MPEG video exported to DV, you can import into iMovie as described above. You may then need to re-sync the audio and video before exporting to tape.

Good luck, and remember your mileage may vary.

------------------
I'm cookoo for Cocoa Apps!

[This message has been edited by jcarr (edited 11-28-2000).]
I'm cookoo for Cocoa Apps!

bizzare
Jan 3, 2001, 06:49 AM

Here's the solution:
http://forums.macnn.com/cgi-bin/Forum9/HTML/000727.html

------------------

Judy
Jan 17, 2001, 10:47 PM

I tried importing a Quicktime file into IMovie by putting the file in the media folder within the project folder, as suggested. However, when I was able to get it in IMovie, only a still image came up. What kind of Quicktime clip were you able to import?

Forum Links
Forum Rules