Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Who does make the best beer?

Who does make the best beer?
jholmes
Mac Elite
Nov 10, 2000, 12:39 PM

In the Aussie thread, a Canadian claimed to live in the home of real beer.
Considering myself a connoisseur of malt beverage, I'm prepared to do some unscientific testing and see if he's right. So I'm looking for nominees.
Are the Aussie stubbies better than an English pint? In the NAFTA category, is Molson better than Budweiser which could be better than Corona? Do the Germans make the best bier and if so, is any of exported to the States that doesn't taste like Heineken?
My own personal bias leans towards a native Texas brand - Shiner Bock - rich amber color and smooth malt taste - not too hoppy with a clean finish, but I'm prepared to test Whatneys and Tooheys against Boddingtons and Moosehead.

I'll conduct tests at the Flying Saucer Draught Emporium in Sundance Square - Downtown Fort Worth, Texas. They have 200 brands on tap and even more bottled in the fridge from all over the world so I should be able to come to a better resolution than the presidential election.

So, please post your favorites (or favourites if you prefer) and I'll try and keep good notes and report back.
One restriction - I want to stick to major brands rather than microbrews - just cause I can actually get those - Uncle Bob's Famous Lemon Scented Pale Ale and Floorwax which is only available in Osweego on alternate Thurdays need not apply

Thanks for your frothy suggestions.
`Everybody is ignorant. Only on different subjects.' -- Will Rogers

scottiB
Professional Poster
Nov 10, 2000, 01:08 PM

Aaaaaahhhhh.....if I could only remember... . I pretty much drank my twenties away . I don't imbibe as I once did.

For special occasions, the trappist ales are pretty good: Chimay, Corsendonk (sp?), the flavored beers (I can't remember the brewery--the labels have an Art Noveau feel) like La Framboise.

As an every-day-ordering-in-a-bar-beer: Sierra Nevada, Bass, Foster's, pretty much any pale ale or stout.

I try to avoid mass-produced American beers, not that I'm being snooty; they tend to give me the runs in the morning.

One inexpensive beer I do love on an extremely hot day is Carling's Black Label. (For those who grew up w/ Hockey Night in Canada--"Hey Mabel...another Black Label......)

[This message has been edited by scottiB (edited 11-10-2000).]
I am stupidest when I try to be funny.

DBursey
Professional Poster
Nov 10, 2000, 01:15 PM

I reiterate that Canadian beer is in my unabashedly biased opinion the world's best.

For your taste test, I recommend my personal favourite: Molson Canadian. A most palatable and potent lager (5 percent alcohol I believe).

I can't wait to get out of this office and into a cold one. Mybe I'll look for Shiner Bock at my favourite watering hole.

Hobbit_Boy
Nov 10, 2000, 04:28 PM

All American mass-produced beers (MGD and Bud for example) are crap compared to Corona and Guinness....

mobean
Nov 10, 2000, 05:12 PM

After 10 years of wandering around this country in a desperate attempt to locate my old standby, I have now found it.

Stella Artois.

Loved by lager louts the world over!

It's simply a good tasting simple Belgian Lager...

Hurrah!

Andrew

Aussiemac
Nov 10, 2000, 05:25 PM

Australias Crown Larger is very hard to beat.
A very nice drop indead.

suprz
Mac Elite
Nov 10, 2000, 05:26 PM

molson ice!!!! yeah baby!!!! the canadians know how to make ice beer. (and i just love the strip clubs up there too)oops! maybe its just the atmosphere i'm in when i drink the beer......

------------------
" I think,
therefore....IMAC
"The only time that man gets to actually leave a physical mark upon this earth is in death, and even then, it is only a gravestone proclaiming his demise"

Arty50
Mac Elite
Nov 10, 2000, 05:49 PM

Good beer comes from all parts of the world.

My favs in no particular order:
Negra Modelo
Stella Artois
Pilsner Urquell
Nastro Azzuro (Sadly, its not available in the US.)
"My friend, there are two kinds of people in this world:
those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig."

-Clint in "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly"

rjenkinson
Professional Poster
Nov 10, 2000, 06:04 PM

Originally posted by Aussiemac:
Australias Crown Larger is very hard to beat.
A very nice drop indead.
so, you drink it and then... die?

-r.

Blobby
Nov 10, 2000, 06:05 PM

NZ: Mac's
Aus: Cooper's
Thai: Singha

Mike Pither
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 10, 2000, 06:44 PM

Fullers London Pride from the Uk . All larger type beers lack flavour to me, while ICE beers I thought were only a sort of gimmick / fashion beer.

iMac DVSE 400 640mb + AL PB 15" with 1 gig + iMac 2,8 with 4gb + MacBook Pro 2,53 with 4gb

Misha
Professional Poster
Nov 10, 2000, 07:20 PM

Belgian does make some of the finest beers... for everyday consumption Corona or Dos XX suit me well.

Budweiser is like water, but it's cheap, so it works for parties.

Personally I find Heineken too bitter... I've had some really bad batches of that stuff in my life that has put me off it for good.

iMight
Nov 10, 2000, 07:27 PM

Harp . . . Mmmmmmmmmmm.

Hobbit_Boy
Nov 11, 2000, 03:27 AM

Corona with a slice of lime....best I've had so far.

Arty50
Mac Elite
Nov 11, 2000, 03:51 AM

I almost forgot to say. Drinking beer in America is like drinking decaf. It just isn't the same. Every beer I've had overseas that is also sold in the US tastes MUCH better (except probably Budweiser, but I try not to drink that anywhere). The alcohol content laws here end up ruining some fine beverages.

Arty50
Mac Elite
Nov 11, 2000, 03:53 AM

Doh! Sorry, double post.

[This message has been edited by Arty50 (edited 11-11-2000).]

dante
Forum Regular
Nov 11, 2000, 04:40 AM

Look, a lot of crap is talked about which is the best beer. I've lived in a few places around the world, mainly UK, NZ & Aus, and i've found that what flows cheep and plentiful, is what I'll drink.

RWoelk
Senior User
Nov 11, 2000, 04:55 AM

A bit off the topic to be sure, but try as I may, I never could stomach any kind of beer, he wrote holding his nose.

Give me a fine brandy or Martini any day.

------------------
Rocke "Why yes, I have brought our
network down." Woelk

Only the educated are free!-Epictetus

[This message has been edited by RWoelk (edited 11-11-2000).]

Cipher13
Nov 11, 2000, 05:04 AM

Hm... Corona is pretty good... (okay, lame excuse for a post to use this smiley I found).

Cipher13

[This message has been edited by Cipher13 (edited 11-11-2000).]

Doc Juansinn
Senior User
Nov 11, 2000, 07:09 AM

Greetings,
It doesn't really matter much to me where the best beer is made as long as it's good. That being said, I do prefer the European and Canadian beers. I'll drink and enjoy any Hefeweizen produced in Germany. Those are tasty. I had originally wanted to list my favourite as Granville Island Bock (yummy), but as it's only available from the Granville Island Brewery in Vancouver, B.C., Canada, it's technically a microbrewery. I had to get the pulg in anyway.

[This message has been edited by Dr. Wahnsinn (edited 11-11-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Dr. Wahnsinn (edited 11-11-2000).]
"Why did this thread cross the line? Because its **** got stuck in a chicken." - Demonhood

bizzare
Nov 11, 2000, 10:37 AM

Save the beer for watering plants, and go smoke a joint

------------------
-Bizzare

bobette
Mac Elite
Nov 11, 2000, 11:13 AM

Bud's frog p!ss, didntcha know that?

My favorites are belgian beers, Gueuze, Stella, Trappiste de Chimay.

Locally, in Quebec we have a few prize winners too: Boreale, St-Ambroise....
Sleemans is good too...

And finally, good old Molson hey? For them burger and fries or Hockey Night in Canada moods.

Oh, did I mention Bud is actually frog p!ss?

------------------

want live chat on the Forums? Join other users and I and voice your opinion at: http://forums.macnn.com/cgi-bin/Forum8/HTML/000225.html

Thanks!
this lounge is a poor substitute to the bbq.

MezzanineKid
Banned
Nov 11, 2000, 02:40 PM

Wisconsin. Im from Wisconsin, so I'm biased...but we have a TON of beer. We drink more beer per person than anyother state, and we not only produce Miller, Leinies, Sprechers, Pabst.... well.... pabst...

But...yeah, well some suck, but Leinies red is good, and we have a ton of cool micro breweries.

Ca$h

bobette
Mac Elite
Nov 11, 2000, 03:10 PM

Micro breweries are the way to go, man...

D@mn good. straight from the barrels to the spiggot... to my...aaaaaaaaaAAAAAaaaAHHHHhhhhhhhHHhhh......

btw, didchall know Bud's frog p!ss? hmm?

------------------

want live chat on the Forums? Join other users and I and voice your opinion at: http://forums.macnn.com/cgi-bin/Forum8/HTML/000225.html

Thanks!

Macfreak7
Mac Elite
Nov 11, 2000, 04:30 PM

beer sucks.

vodka is better.

jholmes  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 11, 2000, 08:55 PM

I also am not a big fan of Budweiser but I must pass along a kudo for Anheiser Busch.
We went to Sea World on a family road trip this summer. The wife was thrilled by the jumping killer whale show, The kiddo liked the water park slides and the water ski exhibition.
I was beat from driving 250 miles the day before. The place was packed and it was 116 degrees in the shade and miserably humid.
But since A-B owns the park, tucked over in a side area, kinda hidden from view, was wonderful, air conditioned tasting room.

That lame, worthless Bud Ice was some of the best beer I ever had. And it was free.

3gg3
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 11, 2000, 09:12 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by scottiB:

One inexpensive beer I do love on an extremely hot day is Carling's Black Label. (For those who grew up w/ Hockey Night in Canada--"Hey Mabel...another Black Label......)

In the Air Force we used to say "Hey Mabel, get off the table.... that dollar was for beer!" Inflation knows no bounds.

I guess I'm no beer connoisseur, cuz I never cared for the German beers when I was overseas. But I can second the nomination of Stella Artois as a very nice brew. On the other hand, while mowing the half acre of Kentucky Blue Grass at our rented home in Dayton,OH, I liked nothing better than a real frosty Little Kings (about 6 oz. I think,and probably .4 beer) about every 10th circuit.

[This message has been edited by 3gg3 (edited 11-11-2000).]

bobette
Mac Elite
Nov 12, 2000, 01:39 AM

jholmes,aahh, free beer, guess you can't say no to that...

With nachos even better!

bobette
Mac Elite
Nov 12, 2000, 01:42 AM

3gg3,

Dontcha guys have great home brew in BC? I don't remember the brand, we don't see it often in Cue-Beck...

Black Label's a great party beer...

.... man! I'm outta beer on a saturday night! Bwahahahahahaaaaaa......

3gg3
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 12, 2000, 02:01 AM

Originally posted by bobette:
[Dontcha guys have great home brew in BC? I don't remember the brand, we don't see it often in Cue-Beck... ]
Well, I'll have to defer to the real beer lovers to judge the quality, but we do have a number of microbrewers here in the Okanagan (Tree Brewing in Kelowna). Then there's the aforementioned Granville Island brew with a great reputation. Many of them produce too many "candy" beers, seems to me.

The couple of summers I spent as a sprog in Montreal, la biere de choix was Dow. Does that date me, or what?

[This message has been edited by 3gg3 (edited 11-12-2000).]

bobette
Mac Elite
Nov 12, 2000, 02:15 AM

Dow!?!?

Bro that's eons ago! Brewery shut down when they found mouse embryos in the bottles....mmoooohahahahhahaaaaa....

Montreal is Schwartz Deli and beer at a hockey game in the defunct Forum. I saw Jean B�liveau play there as a kid... Guess that dates me too!

jholmes  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 12, 2000, 09:47 AM

Spent last night with several cold ones watching Dallas' former Canadiens beat Montreal's current Canadiens 2-0.
My thanks to the fine folk of Canada (and Minnesota) for allowing us to import hockey to the Lone Star State.
I know that the US has diluted the great Canadian game but it sure beats the heck out of basketball.

DBursey
Professional Poster
Nov 12, 2000, 12:24 PM

Amen to that, bro. Hockey is unquestionably the coolest game on earth. And yes, Dallas has one hell of a good club. It'll be interesting to see how they do this year with some of the older players such as Guy Carboneau and Mike Keane retired. Of course with guys like Modano, Hull and Belfour they'll be contenders for the foreseeable future.

Of course the Maple Leafs will kick their butts when the time comes

As for dilution of the on-ice product, lets hope expansion has ended for a few years at least. The US is producing more good hockey players all the time, so together with Canada, Sweden, the Czech Republic and Russia we should have enough quality players in the draft to keep the league well stocked.

How well would you say hockey is catching on in the American southwest these days? I suppose it still doesn't come close to football or even basketball in fan popularity. Here in Canada hockey is almost a religion!

3gg3
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 12, 2000, 02:36 PM

Originally posted by jholmes:
I know that the US has diluted the great Canadian game but it sure beats the heck out of basketball.
To echo another post in this forum, jholmes for president!

But I'd like to see the topic get back to world-class beer rather than world-class sport. Another beer I miss is India Pale Ale. I forget if it was another Carling product.

uSuspect
Nov 12, 2000, 06:18 PM

Big Rock - Traditional Ale: for the fridge

Guiness: if I'm also hungry

Pilsner Urquell: used to enjoy it but I'm becoming partial to ales in my old age

Bass Pale Ale: I like that "first trade mark" thing on the label

Unfortunately I must state that anything coming out of the big breweries in Canada is.. well.. like the man said - frog piss.

jholmes  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 13, 2000, 08:05 AM

How well is hockey catching on in the Southwest?
This is way off the thread but Somebody said there are now over 150 pro, semi-pro and club teams in Texas now. We have the Stars in Dallas and Andy Moog is a co-owner in the minor league team in Fort Worth. There's a minor league League with teams in Amarillo, Austin, and half a dozen other cites.
New rinks ar popping up all over and they are even starting to have organized high school teams. It's getting big. and five years ago most down here thought icing went on a cake.
It may be 20 years before you see a native born Texan skate the Cup but I'd bet it'll happen.

andi*pandi
Nov 13, 2000, 01:07 PM

in the timeless words of Cave-Slayer Buffy, "Beer bad."

I prefer hard cider--Hard Core Black Oak, actually. Anyone else?

Ruby
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 13, 2000, 08:23 PM

Best beer? Dosequis... by far! The darker the better. By the way, great smiley Cipher!

------------------
Charity
[img]http://homepage.mac.com/albertwu/.Pictures/ichicks.gif[img]

jeffhot
Senior User
Nov 13, 2000, 11:53 PM

Ughh. Who invited all the frat boys into this thread?

Anyone who thinks Corona is good beer hasn't developed there tastes very well.

But I don't know what the best beer is. I do know what the worst beer is, though. I makes what you all think of as Corona (actually Corona Extra) seem fabulous. There is a Corona Regular that will switch you straight to the hard stuff it's so nasty. You have to go to Mexico to get this piss-mud, I think. That's the only place I ever wished I never found it.

elzinat
Mac Elite
Nov 14, 2000, 03:02 AM

beer is nasty. it smells rank and tastes ranker. wine is much better.
something to truly savor? Irish cream... mmmm......

Personal taste aside, I have on the highest authority (a bunch of North Germans) that the Czechs make the best beer. Among the Czech beers available internationally (ie not microbrewery), they all vote for Pilsner Urquell as #1.

------------------
be happy!

nana
Nov 14, 2000, 04:31 AM

Crown lager
James Boags Premium
Cascade Premium Lager

keyser_soze
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 14, 2000, 05:35 AM

arty50 said
I almost forgot to say. Drinking beer in America is like drinking decaf. It just isn't the same. Every beer I've had overseas that is also sold in the US tastes MUCH better (except probably Budweiser, but I try not to drink that anywhere). The alcohol content laws here end up ruining some fine beverages.
yeah, tell me about it, i live in utah. 3.2% beer (the kind they serve drunken spring breakers in florida) so pretty much all beer is pretty much water.

European heineken is excellent. Red stripe from jamaica is pretty good. Mix harps and guinness for a dark and tan, and it can't be beat. And for those binge drinking nights, u can't beat any crap they'll put in a 40 oz. But nothing can beat sake and sushi.

Ok posters time to let them have it. MacNN Staff It's our duty to let MacNN know we hate intelliTXT!

micha schraven
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 14, 2000, 08:41 AM

OKAY YOU ASKED FOR IT

THE ONLY COUNTRY THAT MAKES (GOOD) BEER IS BELGIUM
BECAUSE EVERYTHING UNDER 5% ALCOHOL IS CONSIDERED LAGER(BEER) AND TASTES LIKE PISS

AND THE BEST BELGIAN BEER IS --DUVEL-- (8,5%)BREWED IN MOORTGAT
OTHER REALLY TASTY BEERS :
hoegaarden
elfde gebod
verboden vrucht
leffe or Westmalle triple (11%)
kriek Lambic

These beers are like a fine glass of wine, and mostly brewed in centuries-old monestaries by monks. You just sit back and let the taste work, lager is for boozing.

I am Dutch (Heinekencountry)
Heineken is lager too. Grolsch is the best Lager

"the only real centre of the universe is yourself"

bobette
Mac Elite
Nov 14, 2000, 10:34 AM

Oh yes! DUVEL! *drools*

And Grolsch, in them funky green bottles...

Heinies brewed in the States or Canada sucks.... Nothing like the one you drink in Europe. Bit like a Parisian Big Mac (Le Royal....) Man, are those things sloppy!

------------------

Thanks!

micha schraven
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 14, 2000, 02:15 PM

i once finished a whole crate of Duvel with a friend of mine, that's 12 bottles each. After that we went for a swim in the river in front of his house, it was 11 november. The water really hurted my face, it was that cold!

Ahh, duvel...You only need 2 to start feeling nice, not drunk, but nice. that's relatively cheap, because they cost about 3$ a bottle.

Did you know, I live above a liquorstore.
"the only real centre of the universe is yourself"

Arty50
Mac Elite
Nov 15, 2000, 05:52 PM

Originally posted by Macfreak7:

vodka is better.
Yes. I must agree comrade. Nothing makes an evening finer than Stoli Gold.

Arty50
Mac Elite
Nov 15, 2000, 05:59 PM

Originally posted by keyser_soze:

European heineken is excellent. Red stripe from jamaica is pretty good. Mix harps and guinness for a dark and tan, and it can't be beat. And for those binge drinking nights, u can't beat any crap they'll put in a 40 oz. But nothing can beat sake and sushi.
Dark and tans are much better than Black and tans (Guinness and Bass). Nice call on the Red Stripe too.

Ahhhh, your mention of 40's brings back so many memories. I can remember waking up so many mornings back in high school saying, "What the hell happened last night?" Crazy Horse forever! 40's were great for parties because no one could ask you for a beer and the alcohol content is very high. However, calling Malt Liquor piss would be a compliment.

Thanks for reminding me of Duvel, folks. Great beer.

poocat
Mac Elite
Mar 9, 2001, 12:06 PM

red stripe!

red stripe is so good... god.
(i got drunk on it just last night... )

i really like bitburger (sp?), a german beer a friend brought me a while back...

and asahi, a japanese beer. that's a great one.

mmm. beer.

poocat.
"The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive."
-Robert A. Heinlein, Job

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 9, 2001, 12:10 PM

Guinness Stout from a fresh keg.... mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Mar 9, 2001, 01:24 PM

Here is the best beer ever... The oldest in America 1929...

Yuengling... ohhhh, the glory...

Forum Links
Forum Rules