Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Tiger and Nokia Phones

Tiger and Nokia Phones
as2
Mac Elite
Mar 13, 2005, 09:28 PM

I don't know if I can ask this, or if anyone will be able to give me an answer, but does anyone know if the sync services in Tiger will support newer Nokia phones such as the 7610, which use SyncML I believe.

I know that the current version of iSync doesn't, and can't imagine there being an upgrade to iSync with the built in services of Tiger months away.

If anyone on the developer side of things knows anything, and can answer my question I would be very grateful.

Regards

Adam
[img=http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/1300/desktj.jpg]

addiecool
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 14, 2005, 12:35 AM

I had a chance to demo one of the latest test releases of Tiger at my friends place who is a ADC. iSync did not have support for syncML and hence no nokia phones support which use SyncML. kinda Sucks
iMac Intel Core Duo 2.0 Ghz 20", 1.5 GB RAM, 250GB
iMac G5 2.0 Ghz 17", 512 MB RAM, 160GB
iPod Video 5G 60GB White
Mighty Mouse sucks - "Bought the Logitech 518 Gaming mouse"
USB 2.0 Hard Drive Sucked - "Bought a Firewire Hard Disk"

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Mar 14, 2005, 12:59 AM

The usual warnings about prerelease software do, of course, apply.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

dazzla
Senior User
Mar 14, 2005, 02:37 AM

I should hope so, considering I've seen SyncML support bandied around these forums as almost fact for ages now, without a single link to where this information comes from. The inability to sync my 7610 is amazingly frustrating.

Diggory Laycock
Professional Poster
Mar 14, 2005, 09:48 AM

SyncML is a sophisticated abstract protocol - it's not as simple as saying "Tiger supports SyncML."

Nokia handsets support two kinds of synching. "True" syncML over-the-air (i.e. over your GSM network. mmmm expensive.... ) and "local" synching via their "PC Suite."

Now - I have to admit, I'm not 100% sure how iSync and the PC Suite actually operate down in the guts - but I'm pretty sure that they use something very like the OBEX Bindings for SyncML.

Even with the SyncML standard - this local synching obviously requires some tweaking between models, that's why a new version of iSync comes out every so often supporting new phone models.

I should imagine that the reason a new version of iSync hasn't come out recently is because they are re-writing it for tiger - since it will have a broader role, with more sync-able "things"

The developers preview of Tiger (I would imagine) would come with the bare minimum of plugins - just enough to test the SDK.

Diggory Laycock
Professional Poster
Mar 14, 2005, 09:55 AM

[edit] - bah - double-post-badness.

If you really want sync now - just as a backup (say) and you are willing to read a lot of techy docs then try this:

http://sync4j.funambol.com/main.jsp?main=theproject

It's a SyncML Server in Java that allows you to sync your phone over-the-air to your mac (assuming you have a public IP address on the mac.)
( Last edited by Diggory Laycock; Mar 14, 2005 at 10:02 AM. )

ashtoash
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 14, 2005, 10:23 AM

Nokia still makes cellphones?

Originally posted by Diggory Laycock:
SyncML is a sophisticated abstract protocol - it's not as simple as saying "Tiger supports SyncML."

Nokia handsets support two kinds of synching. "True" syncML over-the-air (i.e. over your GSM network. mmmm expensive.... ) and "local" synching via their "PC Suite."

Now - I have to admit, I'm not 100% sure how iSync and the PC Suite actually operate down in the guts - but I'm pretty sure that they use something very like the OBEX Bindings for SyncML.

Even with the SyncML standard - this local synching obviously requires some tweaking between models, that's why a new version of iSync comes out every so often supporting new phone models.

I should imagine that the reason a new version of iSync hasn't come out recently is because they are re-writing it for tiger - since it will have a broader role, with more sync-able "things"

The developers preview of Tiger (I would imagine) would come with the bare minimum of plugins - just enough to test the SDK.

Diggory Laycock
Professional Poster
Mar 14, 2005, 10:28 AM

Originally posted by ashtoash:
Nokia still makes cellphones?
What - you thought they'd gone back to making Rubber Boots?

as2  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 14, 2005, 10:56 AM

Originally posted by Diggory Laycock:
[edit] - bah - double-post-badness.

If you really want sync now - just as a backup (say) and you are willing to read a lot of techy docs then try this:

http://sync4j.funambol.com/main.jsp?main=theproject

It's a SyncML Server in Java that allows you to sync your phone over-the-air to your mac (assuming you have a public IP address on the mac.)
Thanks for that... may have a quick peruse...
[img=http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/1300/desktj.jpg]

Forum Links
Forum Rules