Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > php 5.0 released

php 5.0 released
fc_
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 13, 2004, 08:10 PM

You heard it here first (ok, maybe you didn't but I did post it here first)

All the skinny on it available at php.net

Of course, we'll have to wait until its available on most webhosts, but when I tried it last (around rc3 or so) it did compile under osx.

Have fun!

philzilla
Occasionally Useful
Jul 13, 2004, 08:33 PM

installed hours ago
"Have sharp knives. Be creative. Cook to music" ~ maxelson

timmerk
Mac Elite
Jul 13, 2004, 08:45 PM

Does it compile right out of the box in 10.3.4?
( Last edited by timmerk; Jul 14, 2004 at 08:48 AM. )

Arkham_c
Mac Elite
Jul 13, 2004, 08:46 PM

I haven't looked at it yet, but it looks like it's finally a true object oriented language. Cool.
Mac Pro 2x 2.66 GHz Dual core, Apple TV 160GB, two Windows XP PCs

fc_  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 13, 2004, 08:59 PM

Originally posted by philzilla:
installed hours ago
yes, but you were late to the thread, weren't you?

(j/k)

Simon Mundy
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 14, 2004, 06:26 AM

Hands up who's brave enough to start writing their client's apps in strict PHP 5!

From what I've seen of it so far, it's a very clean upgrade from 4 to 5 and none of my existing sites had broken.

There's a lovely new PEAR class called 'PHP_Beautifier' that shows off the power of 5 by parsing your code and reformatting it in many various ways.

The only hassle for me was trying to install PDFLib - since they've gone to 5.x and 6.x, the PDFLib is already more difficult to install, and the new PECL method of installing the extension won't have a bar of it. If anyone else can get it to work, please let me know as I've been documenting it here and would love to find a foolproof method. THEN I can start migrating my clients and projects... Hah, won't that be fun!
Computer thez nohhh...

philzilla
Occasionally Useful
Jul 14, 2004, 08:35 AM

interestingly, 4.3.8 has been released too. that begs the question: who is going to upgrade to 5.x, who is sticking with 4.x, and what would be your reasons behind that decision?

philzilla
Occasionally Useful
Jul 14, 2004, 08:35 AM

Originally posted by Simon Mundy:
Hands up who's brave enough to start writing their client's apps in strict PHP 5!
i nominate... Simon!

timmerk
Mac Elite
Jul 14, 2004, 08:47 AM

What is a good configure string to use to get all the extra goodies, extensions, etc?

Thanks!

Chris O'Brien
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 14, 2004, 09:04 AM

I've installed PHP 5 with the configuration string:
Code:
./configure --prefix=/us --disable-static --with-apxs=/usr/sbin/apxs --sysconfdir=/etc --enable-discard-path --with-config-file-path=/etc/apache --enable-safe-mode --with-openssl --enable-bcmath --with-bz2 --with-pic --enable-calendar --enable-ctype --with-gdbm --with-db3 --enable-dbase --enable-ftp --with-iconv --with-gd --enable-gd-native-ttf --with-jpeg-dir=/usr --with-png --with-gmp --with-mysql=shared,/usr --with-xml=shared,/usr --with-gettext=shared,/usr --with-mm=/usr --enable-trans-sid --enable-shmop --enable-sockets --with-regex=php --enable-sysvsem --enable-sysvshm --enable-yp --enable-memory-limit --with-tsrm-pthreads --enable-shared --with-zlib=/usr --with-dom --with-dom-exslt --with-unixODBC --enable-sqlite-utf8
but that's just on an experimental slackware box at work, so that string changes fairly regularly (for example, at the moment I'm adding --with-pdflib to see if I can do what Simon asked).

I've been quite chuffed with PHP 5 for about a month now (using RC3) so i was happy the final release was today. I was checking yesterday on php.net for it but was obviously too early :/

Edit: put in line breaks in the config string so the page didn't scroll 3 miles sideways
Just who are Britain? What do they? Who is them? And why?

Formerly Black Book

Forum Links
Forum Rules