Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > ATI Radeon 9800 Pro into a Digital Audio G4?

ATI Radeon 9800 Pro into a Digital Audio G4?
zanc
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 2, 2005, 05:39 AM

Anyone know if its possible to put an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro Mac edition into a Digital Audio G4 with an AGP 4x slot. I heard that all that was required was to tape up a couple of the pins.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 2, 2005, 11:38 AM

You don't have to do anything... Just put it in. It is a Power Mac G4 card.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

darwin23
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 2, 2005, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by zanc
Anyone know if its possible to put an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro Mac edition into a Digital Audio G4 with an AGP 4x slot. I heard that all that was required was to tape up a couple of the pins.
Yes, as long as it's a real Retail ATI Mac Card you don't have to Modify it as ATI has already disabled Pins 3 and 11 with a resister move.

Apple made use of some Unused pins in PowerMacs from the Cube/GigE to the MDD. These Pins got used in 8xAGP thus the Pin 3 and Pin 11 confusion.

Sawtooth's and G5's are not affected.

Skip Breakfast
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 2, 2005, 04:00 PM

This thread belongs in the PowerMac forum.
PowerMac G4 Gigabit 1.2GHz, 896MB, 2x 80GB WD SE, Pioneer 107, Radeon 9000 Pro 128MB

Macintosh TV

darwin23
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 4, 2005, 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by Skip Breakfast
This thread belongs in the PowerMac forum.
Ending this post with a peroid makes it a stament of fact.

Ending it with a question mark makes it inquisitive.

Originally Posted by Skip Breakfast
This thread belongs in the PowerMac forum?
Yes, it is a question that proteins to a specific PowerMac.

*The Grammar Police are watching you.

ViviMaster
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 4, 2005, 01:11 PM

the regular 9800 pro will work. the ones from the g5s with 256 ram wont unless you tape off some pins or osmething

Amacapart
Baninated
Jun 4, 2005, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by ViviMaster
the regular 9800 pro will work. the ones from the g5s with 256 ram wont unless you tape off some pins or osmething

No, they just won't work at all.

Only G5 card useable in a G4 is the 9600.

It IS possible to hacksaw part of a G5 5200 off and have it run in a G4. It is also possible to hacksaw off your arm and install it under your nose. I wouldn't suggest either procedure.

AC Rempt
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 4, 2005, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by darwin23

*The Grammar Police are watching you.
Does your problem pertain to them?

ViviMaster
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 4, 2005, 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by Amacapart

It IS possible to hacksaw part of a G5 5200 off and have it run in a G4. It is also possible to hacksaw off your arm and install it under your nose. I wouldn't suggest either procedure.
not callin you a liar but i do recall reading somewhere that someone found a way to stick one in a g4......

Kristoff
Mac Elite
Jun 5, 2005, 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by darwin23

But, what does this have to do with carbohydrates?
signatures are a waste of bandwidth
especially ones with political tripe in them.

ddiokno
Mac Elite
Jun 5, 2005, 02:13 AM

Actually, it will work. ATI makes several versions of the card. The one that comes in the G5's that is an 8x AGP specific card, the ATI 9800 Radeon Pro Mac Edition (which is a 2x 4x AGP card) that can be used in G4's and G5's, and the ATI 9800 Pro Mac Special Edition (which is an 8x card only for G5's)

Here are the specs for 9800 Pro Mac Edition that will work in your machine . The 8x cards will work if you modify them, there are numerous hacks that can be found on-line.

Good luck,
david

BTW, you can check out the different Mac specific cards at ati's website in the mac section

ddiokno
Mac Elite
Jun 5, 2005, 02:14 AM

Actually, it will work. ATI makes several versions of the card.
There is the one that comes in the G5's that is an 8x AGP specific card, the ATI 9800 Radeon Pro Mac Edition (which is a 2x 4x AGP card) that can be used in G4's and G5's, and the ATI 9800 Pro Mac Special Edition (which is an 8x card only for G5's)

Here are the specs for 9800 Pro Mac Edition that will work in your machine . The 8x cards will work if you modify them, there are numerous hacks that can be found on-line.

Good luck,
david

BTW, you can check out the different Mac specific cards at ati's website in the mac section

Taipan
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 5, 2005, 09:43 AM

Hi!

AFAIK the hack involving taping off two pins is supposed to make the card work in 4xAGP. Doesn't the Digital Audio line have 2xAGP?

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 5, 2005, 11:47 AM

The Digital Audio is the same machine as the QuickSilver, in an older style case. AGP 4x.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Amacapart
Baninated
Jun 5, 2005, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by ViviMaster

Guys, read the post I was answering. ANY 9800 from a G5 will NOT work in a G4.

The RETAIL 9800 for G4 or G5 is a 128 Meg card.(On a RED PCB)

As I said before, the ONLY G5 card (ie, card shipped in a G5 originally) that can work in a G4 is the 9600. The Hacksaw to a 5200 has been documented at XLR8 to work, but WHY BOTHER ??????

The 9800s on Blue PCBs that came in G5s are "AGP Pro" which means EXTRA power pins on AGP connector, making it LONGER than the AGP slot in a G4. You COULD try the hacksaw mod to get one in a G4, but again, it seems very risky.

Also, ATI has announced that soon there will be a 9800 Retail for G4 & G5 with 256 Megs on a RED PCB.

powertrippin
Baninated
Jun 5, 2005, 02:59 PM

Also, ATI has announced that soon there will be a 9800 Retail for G4 & G5 with 256 Megs on a RED PCB.
Dual digital?

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jun 8, 2005, 09:00 AM

So is the retail red PCB 9800 AGP 4x mac card a core image card? The Apple OS X page lists the 9800XT

Where is it available from in the UK?

I have a G4 867 quicksilver, currently with a 128Mb Geforce 2 Twinview. I want a card that will drop straight in, no flashing, taped pins or hacksaws!!!

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jun 8, 2005, 03:52 PM

OK so I found a Radeon 9800 Pro Mac Edition here. How much of a step up is this from my 128MB GeForce2MX Twinview? And is it Core Image? (I know core image is there basically for the dashboard ripple, but it would be nice to have it.
( Last edited by ajprice; Jun 8, 2005 at 03:59 PM. )

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

crooner
Senior User
Jun 9, 2005, 12:14 PM

Where exactly did you read/hear about this next gen 9800?
I ask as I just bought the 128MB 9800 for my dual 1Ghz QuickSilver. My hope was that I’d see a noticeable difference in Tiger's often sluggish performance on routine tasks such as window sizing and dragging, opening and closing, etc.
What with it driving two displays (a 22" Apple Cinema Display with ADC connection and an SGI 1600SW via a MultiLink adapter) and thus splitting the card's memory I've found that my Mac's performance is hardly different than it was with the POS G-Force 4MX it came with. Adding the cost of the Apple DVI to ADC adapter only adds insult to injury.
My first thoughts were to return the gear but now with the "big news"™ I'm thinking that I have to make this Mac last until the Macintel Macs are out and it behooves me to keep the new card.

I'd really appreciate it if you could shed light on the G4 compatible 9800 with 256MBs.

To dislike Sinatra is a sign of highly questionable taste. To dislike the Beatles is a serious character flaw.

Tyre MacAdmin
Mac Elite
Jun 9, 2005, 01:43 PM

I have a Digital Audio DP G4 and I just installed the 9800 Pro Mac Edition in it a couple weeks ago.... it works fine.

a2daj
Mac Elite
Jun 9, 2005, 04:01 PM

http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com/ubb/Forum24/HTML/000816.html

"Bruno posting...

The card was not discontinued. It has also always worked in both a G4 and G5 machine.

The RADEON 9800 Pro now ships with 256MB of memory, twice what it previously had. The box has been updated to reflect the memory change and clearly denote it works in both G4 and G5 machines. There was previously some confusion (not helped by misinformation on the ATI web site) as to whether the card worked in a G5.

As far as I know the price remains unchanged.

Bruno "

Bruno works for ATI.

"now ships" is a bit of a misnomer AFAIK since I haven't seen the 256MB model out in the wild yet.

a2daj
Mac Elite
Jun 9, 2005, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by crooner
Where exactly did you read/hear about this next gen 9800?
I ask as I just bought the 128MB 9800 for my dual 1Ghz QuickSilver. My hope was that I’d see a noticeable difference in Tiger's often sluggish performance on routine tasks such as window sizing and dragging, opening and closing, etc.
What with it driving two displays (a 22" Apple Cinema Display with ADC connection and an SGI 1600SW via a MultiLink adapter) and thus splitting the card's memory I've found that my Mac's performance is hardly different than it was with the POS G-Force 4MX it came with. Adding the cost of the Apple DVI to ADC adapter only adds insult to injury.
My first thoughts were to return the gear but now with the "big news"™ I'm thinking that I have to make this Mac last until the Macintel Macs are out and it behooves me to keep the new card.

I'd really appreciate it if you could shed light on the G4 compatible 9800 with 256MBs.

For day to day 2D tasks, there isn't going to be much of a difference. You're not exactly stressing the video card. The difference will be in 3D apps like Maya or games (and not Xbench's OpenGL benchmark. that's horrible for testing 3D hardware).

And, once again, in OS X, VRAM isn't split in half. The all RAM is available to each display. The displays will only use as much RAM as is necessary. When Apple enables Quartz 2D Extreme in 10.4.x, you might see more of a difference as most everything GUI related ends up being done by the GPU.

The

bossep
Forum Regular
Jun 9, 2005, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by a2daj
http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com/ubb/Forum24/HTML/000816.html

"Bruno posting...

The card was not discontinued. It has also always worked in both a G4 and G5 machine.

The RADEON 9800 Pro now ships with 256MB of memory, twice what it previously had. The box has been updated to reflect the memory change and clearly denote it works in both G4 and G5 machines. There was previously some confusion (not helped by misinformation on the ATI web site) as to whether the card worked in a G5.

As far as I know the price remains unchanged.

Bruno "

Bruno works for ATI.

"now ships" is a bit of a misnomer AFAIK since I haven't seen the 256MB model out in the wild yet.
You have two versions of ATI 9800Pro. It is, according to www.ati.com only one of them that can be used in the G4, the 128MB version. The 256MB, is G5 only.

I have the G4 version, and I love it! Easy, to very easy to install. Just have in mind that a cpu less than 1GHz is to little to make justice to the 9800Pro.

a2daj
Mac Elite
Jun 9, 2005, 04:33 PM

Read the quote carefully. If it still isn't clear, read the entire thread I linked.

Amacapart
Baninated
Jun 10, 2005, 07:43 PM

Yes, it is true.

They already exist. And are for sale.

But reality is that it will be VERY difficult to see any difference, even playing Doom3. Perhaps on "Ultra" setting you could.

Or running 2 displays with "Maya", you might notice a difference.

crooner
Senior User
Jun 10, 2005, 09:35 PM

Yes, it is true.

They already exist. And are for sale.

But reality is that it will be VERY difficult to see any difference, even playing Doom3. Perhaps on "Ultra" setting you could.

Or running 2 displays with "Maya", you might notice a difference.
Just to be clear, you're saying that a 256MB 9800 that works in a G4 is available *now*?

Where from? How about a link?

Thanks.

To dislike Sinatra is a sign of highly questionable taste. To dislike the Beatles is a serious character flaw.

Forum Links
Forum Rules