Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Thoughts on Apple going to intel...

View Poll Results: Like the switch?
Poll Options:
Yes 36 votes (70.59%)
No 8 votes (15.69%)
What switch? 3 votes (5.88%)
i---n--t--e--l??? 4 votes (7.84%)
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll
Thoughts on Apple going to intel...
agentlaidlaw
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 22, 2005, 10:35 PM

Hi i'm new so hello every one lol. But yeah like what the topic say's what are your guys or girls thoughts on Apple going to intel? My self well I don't like it one bit at all. Feels like using a PC now. Why not make Mac OS on PC if they are going to use intel processors...... But what about your thoughts?
Amd 64 3500+ s939 2.2ghz with 2ghz HTT
1gb of cossair xms dualchanle 400mhz
Asus A8n sli deluxe
Nvidia 6800gt pcie 256mb
Soundblaster audigy 2zs
Ati t.v card
Liteon DL dvdrw 16x
Liteon cdrw/dvd 52x
120 gb maxtor 7200 rpm hd
80 gb wd 7200 rpm hd
600Watt Enermax PS
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mac Mini
G4 1.45ghz
512MB of ram
80GB HD
ATI 9200 32MB

osxisfun
Jun 22, 2005, 10:37 PM

Ghoser777
Professional Poster
Jun 22, 2005, 10:46 PM

Apple is going to intel?

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 22, 2005, 10:51 PM

might want to try to keep your sig to post ratio somewhere below 6:1.

welcome, i guess.

JHromadka
Mac Elite
Jun 22, 2005, 11:06 PM

Hey cut him some slack. Looking at his sig reminds me of what makes a Mac. It's not all the gobbly-gook on the inside, but the user interface.

jamil5454
Mac Elite
Jun 22, 2005, 11:17 PM

He must be a PC enthusiast. All PC enthusiasts put every little spec of their machine in their sig. I used to list the manufacturer of every chip in my system in my sigs.

Just. Kidding.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 22, 2005, 11:22 PM

Do not use the expression 'lol' if it can be helped at all.
Apart from that, welcome.

Spliff
Mac Elite
Jun 22, 2005, 11:26 PM

I don't mind the switch to Intel chips. What I do mind is the very likely prospect that OS X will soon be running on any POS PC once the hackers break whatever protection scheme that Apple will use. I think it'll hurt Apple's sales because if the OS is what gets people to switch, then there won't be a reason to switch if they can get OS X running on their ugly home-built PC. As an analogy, imagine an ugly mutha****a like Bill Gates getting to bone some gorgeous actress or model. It's an aesthetic crime. Everything should be done to prevent it.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 22, 2005, 11:56 PM

The vast majority of users will have no idea how to run OSX on their Dell box.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jun 23, 2005, 12:09 AM

Originally Posted by agentlaidlaw
Hi i'm new so hello every one lol. But yeah like what the topic say's what are your guys or girls thoughts on Apple going to intel? My self well I don't like it one bit at all. Feels like using a PC now. Why not make Mac OS on PC if they are going to use intel processors...... But what about your thoughts?
It's not like much is changing. You're still getting Mac OS, in a quality Apple case, with the same Apple support. Everything is still Apple quality. It's not the Pentium makes it any less quality. The Pentium M, which Apple will be using first, is the highest quality mobile processor there is. The G4 is much lower quality than the Pentium M. The G4 runs much hotter and sucks up much more power, and is much slower.

Jury is still out on desktop processors, but thats not happening until 2008. Intel should be using Pentium M derivatives for desktops by then, even though the Pentium M is ready from prime time in desktops now.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jun 23, 2005, 12:16 AM

I just thought I'd add a post with the synopsis of my opinion.

I use a Mac because I want the best and fastest tools for the job. Over the years, Macs have done that, and done that well. My G3 was bounds faster than other PC desktops at the time. The reality is that the G4 is currently the worst mobile processor on the market. Apple is the BMW of computers, yet they have the slowest laptops on the market that require the most cooling, and have the worst battery life. Apple wants to provide the best technology for users. The best mobile technology currently available is the Pentium M, hands down. Apple has decided to make the sacrifice of the PowerPC in order to provide users with the fastest, coolest, longest lasting Mac laptops available. This is not a decrease in quality, it's a definite increase. By moving to Intel, on the mobile side, Apple is once again giving Macintosh users the best tools for the job. I have no doubt this will not hurt Apple quality a bit. Sticking with the PowerPC in laptops means Apple will lose the cutting edge they have always had.

I don't doubt the G5 is fast, I think it's probably still faster for some tasks than the current P4 is. But this move isn't about the desktops, it's about the laptops. And by the time the desktops move to Intel, the P4 will be ancient history anyway.
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 23, 2005, 12:22 AM

This is all just an April 1 joke, trust me you guys. 2006 will come round and Steve will have a great big laugh. Then it will be revealed that OSX is actually just a skin over XP and we've been using x86 ALL ALONG.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Jun 23, 2005, 12:37 AM

Fix your goddamn sig.

Please.

Anyway, yes, I'm happy about the switch. This is a great move for Apple.

sspire
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 23, 2005, 01:55 AM

I too, feel that this is a positive move.

In the big picture, it's the just the beginning of Apple entering it's teenage years. The OS is finally at it's first true signs of sophistication which can now be tweaked and explored and the technology pushed by engineers. Truly an exciting time.

There is an excellent article here that says it all...

Together We Can Rule the Galaxy
http://daringfireball.net/2005/06/rule_the_galaxy

:XI:
Mac Elite
Jun 23, 2005, 03:20 AM

Originally Posted by goMac
The Pentium M, which Apple will be using first,
Says who? Have Apple confirmed this?

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jun 23, 2005, 03:37 AM

Originally Posted by :XI:
Says who? Have Apple confirmed this?
If I heard anything from Apple, it would be in an unofficial context, and I probably couldn't tell you who said it exactly.

It makes sense though. Apple wouldn't be throwing a P4 in a laptop, nor a Mac mini.

Mac Elite
Jun 23, 2005, 05:12 AM

If I heard anything from Apple, it would be in an unofficial context, and I probably couldn't tell you who said it exactly.

It makes sense though. Apple wouldn't be throwing a P4 in a laptop, nor a Mac mini.
Yeah, it makes sense. But for now it's just rumour. We (that is, anyone that isn't privy to inside knowledge) doesn't know what they'll be using besides the fact that it's x86 and it's from Intel.

If you heard anything from Apple it would probably be protected by NDA and since you seem to be presenting it as fact that Apple are going to use Pentium-M you, or the person that told you this would be in violation of this NDA.

So... if you're not under NDA and someone else has already violated it by telling you, why are you being coy about what information you can divulge? Are you just attention whoring? If you ARE under NDA and you just told us that Apple are using the Pentium-M, you're wasting your time trying to pass it off as a hint and I hope Apple canyour dev account.

Whatever your reasons, if you're right, you're right. But I'm willing to bet that you know very little more than everyone else outside Apple/Intel.

Care to offer a little background as to why you're in a position to recieve this information? I'm not asking for names or anything.

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 23, 2005, 06:40 AM

Why do we have yet another thread about this? Lock, please.

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 23, 2005, 08:30 AM

...tirade...
Wow man. Lots of people are speculating and spouting all kinds of crap about the switch. Did you just get back from a visit to the political/war lounge?

Mac Elite
Jun 23, 2005, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by AKcrab
Wow man. Lots of people are speculating and spouting all kinds of crap about the switch. Did you just get back from a visit to the political/war lounge?
I don't even go in there.

"Hey! My buddy works at Apple and he told me all the secrets but I can't tell you that Apple are bringing out a new Newton and here are all the specs and features that they don't want their competitors to know despite the huge probabilty I'm making all this up I LOVE APPLE LONG LIVE APPLE gasp!" just comes across as some fanboy trying to look like they know what's going on.

Of course, it's entirely possible that goMac is right. And I wouldn't be at all suprised that I'm wrong.

budster101
Baninated
Location: Illinois might be cold and flat, but at least it's ugly.
Jun 23, 2005, 09:26 AM

Meh. Does it really matter? What has Apple done wrong since Steve Jobs has taken control again?
So far, they are doing well, so I cannot foresee this as a mistake.

There should have been another option in the poll.

> Doesn't matter to me. <

buggsuperstar
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 23, 2005, 09:27 AM

i---n--t--e--l???

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 23, 2005, 09:28 AM

It's not like much is changing. You're still getting Mac OS, in a quality Apple case, with the same Apple support. Everything is still Apple quality. It's not the Pentium makes it any less quality. The Pentium M, which Apple will be using first, is the highest quality mobile processor there is. The G4 is much lower quality than the Pentium M. The G4 runs much hotter and sucks up much more power, and is much slower.

Jury is still out on desktop processors, but thats not happening until 2008. Intel should be using Pentium M derivatives for desktops by then, even though the Pentium M is ready from prime time in desktops now.

Apple will have to deal with a new problem that is if they market OS X to POS PC's, cheap hardware. Windows on its own, leaving aside its security issues is a very stable OS when not infected EXCEPT when its running on junk hardware or good hardware with junk drivers or a combination of the both. Eitherway u cant fualt Windows for crashing on such hardware. If Apple released OS X as a standalone Apple will be faced with that as well.
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

budster101
Baninated
Jun 23, 2005, 09:33 AM

They will never allow OS X to run on anything but Apple hardware.

*This is just my personal oppinion and not that of my employer.

Mac Elite
Jun 23, 2005, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by budster101
Meh. Does it really matter? What has Apple done wrong since Steve Jobs has taken control again?
So far, they are doing well, so I cannot foresee this as a mistake.

There should have been another option in the poll.

> Doesn't matter to me. <
Killed the Newton? Stopped putting audio-in on Macs for a number of years? Any more?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 23, 2005, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by d4nth3m4n
might want to try to keep your sig to post ratio somewhere below 6:1.

welcome, i guess.

-t

JHromadka
Mac Elite
Jun 23, 2005, 11:11 AM

I'm excited about the Crossover news yesterday. I'm going to be starting a business, and there is some software that only runs on Windows. If I can get it to work on WINE or Crossover Office, we'll be able to be a complete Mac shop. Otherwise, we'll at least have Mac servers behind the scenes.

DeathMan
Mac Elite
Jun 23, 2005, 01:54 PM

Killed the Newton? Stopped putting audio-in on Macs for a number of years? Any more?
Newton's timing was wrong. The PDA market is a sinkhole. It had a few good years, and I think the treo 650 is pretty nice, but other than that, its over. Phones are too smart nowadays.

And audio in? I bed 95% of people don't use it. They only killed it on consumer macs. A $30 iMic does the job okay. I would have liked one on my iBook, though.

The cube is the Jobs' big failure.

osxisfun
Jun 23, 2005, 02:47 PM

>The cube is the Jobs' big failure.

And even that looked way cool...

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jun 23, 2005, 04:55 PM

Yeah, it makes sense. But for now it's just rumour. We (that is, anyone that isn't privy to inside knowledge) doesn't know what they'll be using besides the fact that it's x86 and it's from Intel.

If you heard anything from Apple it would probably be protected by NDA and since you seem to be presenting it as fact that Apple are going to use Pentium-M you, or the person that told you this would be in violation of this NDA.

So... if you're not under NDA and someone else has already violated it by telling you, why are you being coy about what information you can divulge? Are you just attention whoring? If you ARE under NDA and you just told us that Apple are using the Pentium-M, you're wasting your time trying to pass it off as a hint and I hope Apple canyour dev account.

Whatever your reasons, if you're right, you're right. But I'm willing to bet that you know very little more than everyone else outside Apple/Intel.

Care to offer a little background as to why you're in a position to recieve this information? I'm not asking for names or anything.
Apple's been talking about wattage, that's not the Pentium 4, thats the Pentium M. If Apple is moving laptops over first, they're going to using the Pentium M.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 23, 2005, 04:59 PM

BTW, are Apple / Intel threads unbanninated again, or am I IBL ?

-t

storer
Mac Elite
Jun 23, 2005, 06:06 PM

IBL I'd say!

Mac Elite
Jun 23, 2005, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by DeathMan
Newton's timing was wrong. The PDA market is a sinkhole. It had a few good years, and I think the treo 650 is pretty nice, but other than that, its over. Phones are too smart nowadays.

And audio in? I bed 95% of people don't use it. They only killed it on consumer macs. A $30 iMic does the job okay. I would have liked one on my iBook, though.

The cube is the Jobs' big failure.
Timing wrong or not, it pissed a lot of people off.

Only killed it on consumer macs? Then how come my Powermac doesn't have it? Or my Powerbook for that matter? $30 iMic? What would a minijack soldered to the motherboard cost?

Apple Pro Underwear
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 23, 2005, 08:13 PM

i still dont see how this really affects the mac community beyond the application switchover

we're still too early into this new era to really disect the switch. perhaps when the first macs with intel chips ship, then we can start to really see the intricate details.

budster101
Baninated
Jun 23, 2005, 08:15 PM

I hope they come out with a nice PSP killer. I'd love to see that.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 23, 2005, 08:26 PM

So I hear Apple is going to be selling Windows computers now, huh? Wellillbedadgum.

Someone start a thread about this so we can all talk it over.
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 23, 2005, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by budster101
I hope they come out with a nice PSP killer. I'd love to see that.
Personally I'd like to see a BMW Killer... I mean really Apple's been letting those companies outside of their area of influence get too comfortable... and how bout a McDonalds killer? Those guys have gotten too smug...

budster101
Baninated
Jun 23, 2005, 08:48 PM

BMW has bowed down to Apple already by making the iPod integral in their stereo design.

McDonalds is Mac friendly... well, the one by me has FREE broadband.

I'd like a device that is portable and playes movies, and MP3, and is a palm pilot, and a cell phone.
Too much to ask?

Forum Links
Forum Rules