Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > PS3, Wii or XB360

View Poll Results: Which ones would it have to be ?
Poll Options:
Sony PlayStation 3 203 votes (32.02%)
Nintendo Wii 329 votes (51.89%)
Microsoft XBox 360 213 votes (33.60%)
None 34 votes (5.36%)
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 634. You may not vote on this poll
PS3, Wii or XB360 (Page 26)
Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 16, 2006, 03:17 PM

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

zro
Mac Elite
Sep 16, 2006, 03:41 PM

What, was that unexpected?

I don't get it.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 16, 2006, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by zro
What, was that unexpected?

I don't get it.

You're gonna have to slap on another $20 on the cost of the Wii if you want anything but the worst video quality available.

Dakar
Professional Poster
Sep 16, 2006, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by goMac
Maybe it's just a generation thing.
Ok, a little early to go claim its that til you're actually out of college and experiencing my claims, don't ya think?

All the girls I know play video games. My girlfriend plays video games. My High School friends and I play Halo when we get together. It seems everyone I know plays video games, and I don't see that changing in 5 years. Sure, we'll all be more busy, and we won't have 15 people getting together to play games, but I could certainly see 4-5 people playing a game or two on weekends.
Yeah, in college I was the same way. The amount of SNES and N64 I (We) played was sickening. My room used to be a turnstile for people since consoles were uncommon and N64s rare.

When I'm at the bar with a few friends from those days we always reminisce about it.

Dakar
Professional Poster
Sep 16, 2006, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by Dark Helmet
You're gonna have to slap on another $20 on the cost of the Wii if you want anything but the worst video quality available.
I'd think an RF adaptor was the worst video quality possible.

im_noahselby
Senior User
Sep 17, 2006, 12:09 AM

1) Does anyone know how much space the average N64 game will take up on the Wii?

2) Will Rare titles, such as Banjo Kazooie be available? Goldeneye?

Thanks,
Noah
Macbook 2.0 Ghz - Black
iPhone 4GB - Fido

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 17, 2006, 01:54 AM

Originally Posted by Dakar
I'd think an RF adaptor was the worst video quality possible.

Well I guess even Nintendo has it's standards then. They decided 70's technology wasn't good enough and took a giant leap into the 80's instead.
( Last edited by Dark Helmet; Sep 17, 2006 at 02:05 AM. )

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 17, 2006, 02:11 AM

This story is by a huge Nintendo fan and writer. It is pretty much a recap of everything I have said over the year and GoMac flat out denied.

Game Informer Online

The puzzling part is how the Wii is supposed to be for "casual gamers" like go mac who doesn't want to devote tons of time to a game.. yet the one launch title everyone wants is Zelda which is said to take 100 hours to finish. Zelda is the LAST game you ever just pick up casually to play for 20 minutes.
( Last edited by Dark Helmet; Sep 17, 2006 at 02:26 AM. )

Dakar
Professional Poster
Sep 17, 2006, 02:20 AM

Well I guess even Nintendo has it's standards then. They decided 70's technology wasn't good enough and took a giant leap into the 80's instead.

zro
Mac Elite
Sep 17, 2006, 03:13 AM

Originally Posted by im_noahselby
1) Does anyone know how much space the average N64 game will take up on the Wii?

2) Will Rare titles, such as Banjo Kazooie be available? Goldeneye?

Thanks,
Noah
I assume it doesn't have to take any room on the Wii. An SD card will do just fine. Ocarina of Time filled a 256 Mb cart. So about 30 copies of that game per 1GB SD card.

I doubt Banjo-Kazooie will be, but Goldeneye... possibly, since Rare never owned Bond.

Also, I find it totally hilarious how the low price of the Wii has the generic haters all over the internet scrambling for their calculators. "Look! You gotta buy other stuff! Like... a game! The real price isn't the real price! See?!?" Funny stuff.

And the awesome library has them stroking their pixel shaders. Why else would they. Nintendo has stated ALL ALONG that this machine isn't going to compete graphically. Let go of your hate already. You aren't going to convince anyone of anything about something you can only hate.

But strange to me is how certain users of a Macintosh message board (I can only assume are Mac users) would treat Nintendo users (who are most likely also Mac users) the same way lame windows users treat all Mac users on every other kind of forum on the internet. It's their time to "shine", I suppose.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 17, 2006, 03:43 AM

Originally Posted by zro
But strange to me is how certain users of a Macintosh message board (I can only assume are Mac users) would treat Nintendo users (who are most likely also Mac users) the same way lame windows users treat all Mac users on every other kind of forum on the internet. It's their time to "shine", I suppose.
True, that is sad because then you can read how this 'oh since you like N I don't like you, I couldn't care less if you are also a Mac user, period.' spreads over the rest of the boards.

If I don't agree with certain guy about certain MacNN Lounge topic, I am not going to refuse to help him in another MacNN board is ever I can do it.

I have received in the past some privates as offering help due to I asked for it, I guess the senders didn't hate N that much by then, I fear if I ever ask them to help me again they would refuse just because the N factor…

Sadly, this is not that common over here. I guess Netiquette is a lost art…

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 17, 2006, 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by zro
I agree. i was shocked at the way some of the gaming freaks (who were Mac users) continuously bash Nintendo (and its fans). To each his own i say.... but yeah i drew that parallel with the ways Windows users bash the Mac as well..... sad but true. I guess every barrel has it's bad apples.
( Last edited by Hawkeye_a; Sep 17, 2006 at 11:18 AM. )

frankthetank966
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 17, 2006, 09:41 AM

Dammit I shouldve bought Wii over 360. But I love Halo to much to give it up...

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 17, 2006, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by zro
IAlso, I find it totally hilarious how the low price of the Wii has the generic haters all over the internet scrambling for their calculators. "Look! You gotta buy other stuff! Like... a game! The real price isn't the real price! See?!?" Funny stuff.
No but the $250 is very misleading, as was the gamecube. When I got the gamecube on opening day there wasn't one person who also didn't buy a $30 memory card or else the system is useless as you can never save a game.

The Wii is $250 but most people are also going to have to shell out for a better AV cable as RCA looks retched on a tv over 21 inches so that is at least another $20 (the xbox comes with component).

Aside from that most folks are going to need a $20=50 SD card.

At this point we are already at the cost of an Xbox 360 core.

The Wii is all about playing games with others (Nintendo "We" remember) so that's another $40-$60 if you want to take it home and play with a buddy.

Also if you want to play the classics you're gonna want to buy the classic controller... more $$.

So in other words there isn't a single person who thinks they will walk into Wal-mart with $250 and that's that. Nobody will walk out without a game (which are also the same price as Xbox games) so at the very least the Wii will run you $300 - $350 the first day.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 17, 2006, 11:22 AM

Yup... i plan on buying a Wii ($250) + 3 Games ($160-ish) (remember now, first party games are $50, XB360 games are $60). So yeah i plan on spending about $400... and that gets me a Wiimote AND 3 games.

With the XB360...$300 for the console(with no HDD or memory card, right?) + $180 for 3 games = $480.

400 vs 480..... i'll go with 400

PS>>if you feel Nintendo is cheating you or charging too much...vote with your $$$ and just dont buy it. simple.

PPS>> Amazon sells out of Wii preorders in less than a day
( Last edited by Hawkeye_a; Sep 17, 2006 at 01:43 PM. )

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 17, 2006, 01:43 PM

Oh oh, doesn't it have to hit the press in a month? What is the deal with moving out of the sensor board range??

"It just feels like the controls are a little too loose for a shooter. I didn't feel like the reticule was aiming where I was pointing exactly, or when I was pointing there.

Even worse, the game would just lose my controller at times. Apparently what would happened was that my pointer would slip out of the sensor's borders for a second, making the screen kind of slip around while I tried to get it to start recognizing my remote again."

Red Steel's Still Janky Controls - Kotaku

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 17, 2006, 01:55 PM

From the same article referenced above....

"I didn't spend a lot of time with Red Steel at last week's Wii event .......... But what time I did spend with the shooter reaffirmed my feelings that the controls need some work."

And

"I'm still on the line about Red Steel. It just seems to have to many control issues to make it worth my while to buy. Hopefully that will change by launch, because shooters definitely seem to work on the Wii."

So rather that it being a problem with the actual controller/system itself. the author implies that it could be the software(the game) that needs fixing.

Cheers

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 17, 2006, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a
So rather that it being a problem with the actual controller/system itself. the author implies that it could be the software(the game) that needs fixing.

Cheers

Ya I get that but that is my point, I mean it has to hit the printing shops in a month so having a problem that big now is scary.

Reviews for other games mentioned the same thing and I don't see how "moving out of the sensors borders" doesn't sound like a software bug.

ink
Mac Elite
Sep 17, 2006, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by frankthetank966
Dammit I shouldve bought Wii over 360. But I love Halo to much to give it up...
Halo?

360?

Do tell.

That's like people buying a PS3 for Final Fantasy...

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Sep 17, 2006, 06:30 PM

Anyone hear anything about this yet?

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 17, 2006, 09:43 PM

Upcoming icon set, right?

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Sep 17, 2006, 09:51 PM

Haha, no, just messing around today. I was very bored today.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Sep 17, 2006, 11:33 PM

Ok, a little early to go claim its that til you're actually out of college and experiencing my claims, don't ya think?

Yeah, in college I was the same way. The amount of SNES and N64 I (We) played was sickening. My room used to be a turnstile for people since consoles were uncommon and N64s rare.

When I'm at the bar with a few friends from those days we always reminisce about it.
I've noticed it outside of college. Hell, when I hang out with people 7 years older than me not in college it's the same thing. I really think it's a generational thing, not a college thing. Games are becoming much more social.

(I've been busy in Portland all weekend, so I let the thread go for a bit )
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

goMac
Posting Junkie
Sep 17, 2006, 11:36 PM

The puzzling part is how the Wii is supposed to be for "casual gamers" like go mac who doesn't want to devote tons of time to a game.. yet the one launch title everyone wants is Zelda which is said to take 100 hours to finish. Zelda is the LAST game you ever just pick up casually to play for 20 minutes.
It took me 6 months to finish Zelda 64. It took me a year to finish Metroid Prime. It took me a year to level one character in WoW to lvl 60. Do I care HOW long it takes me to finish the game? Not a bit. I just care about playing for 20 minutes to and hour. I think you're confusing beating the game in a few sittings, with being able to have fun in short sittings. If I can just get one or two thing accomplished in Zelda every time I sit down, I'll be happy (this is aside from the long binges I'll have on Zelda when it first arrives).
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

goMac
Posting Junkie
Sep 17, 2006, 11:39 PM

Oh oh, doesn't it have to hit the press in a month? What is the deal with moving out of the sensor board range??

"It just feels like the controls are a little too loose for a shooter. I didn't feel like the reticule was aiming where I was pointing exactly, or when I was pointing there.

Even worse, the game would just lose my controller at times. Apparently what would happened was that my pointer would slip out of the sensor's borders for a second, making the screen kind of slip around while I tried to get it to start recognizing my remote again."

Red Steel's Still Janky Controls - Kotaku
Metroid Prime's new controls have been hailed as the new gold standard in FPS controls. We don't need your whining on the controls anymore. The press has been very impressed with the Wii controller so far.

Disappointing that Red Steel has bad controls, but it's not a reflection on the Wii.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Sep 18, 2006, 02:11 AM

Apparently the developer of Final Fantasy 12 has left Square for the Wii:

http://www.rpgsite.net/news/76.html

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Sep 18, 2006, 02:28 AM

Yay, maybe real RPGs for a Nintendo system again.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

starman
Clinically Insane
Sep 18, 2006, 07:24 AM

Apparently the developer of Final Fantasy 12 has left Square for the Wii:

Unofficial RPG Site - News: FFXII Developer Now Working With Wii
FORMER developer. He left the project early on. Learn your history. He didn't leave FOR THE WII, he left YEARS ago.

Stop
being
such
a
fanboy
( Last edited by starman; Sep 18, 2006 at 08:40 AM. )

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Location: Partying down with the Ewoks, after I nuked the Death Star!
Sep 18, 2006, 11:01 AM

Metroid Prime's new controls have been hailed as the new gold standard in FPS controls. We don't need your whining on the controls anymore.

Opps, I missed that memo. Amazing how that can be declared on a game that don't ship for a year but alright.

And yes we still do need to worry about the controls. I found out the problems are coming from ALL games that use the IR sensor bar and not just the controllers but in sensors.

It seems that IR bar is trouble as you can easily move out of the line of sight or it doesn't accurately interpret the controls.

We'll only know at shipping how well that IR bar works but as of now it isn't pretty.

"Hello, what have we here?

Dakar
Professional Poster
Sep 18, 2006, 11:03 AM

Hell, when I hang out with people 7 years older than me not in college it's the same thing. I really think it's a generational thing, not a college thing.
Ok, you can't claim it's a generational thing when you're doing it with people 7 years older than you. That's a complete contradiction.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Sep 18, 2006, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by Landos Mustache
Opps, I missed that memo. Amazing how that can be declared on a game that don't ship for a year but alright.
There was an entire review on IGN about the new Metroid control scheme.

Originally Posted by Landos Mustache
And yes we still do need to worry about the controls. I found out the problems are coming from ALL games that use the IR sensor bar and not just the controllers but in sensors.

It seems that IR bar is trouble as you can easily move out of the line of sight or it doesn't accurately interpret the controls.

We'll only know at shipping how well that IR bar works but as of now it isn't pretty.
The IR bar is not used for nearly as much stuff as you think. It's not really a problem. For quite a few games you can even disconnect the IR bar. And again, Red Steel is the only game we've heard about IR bar issues with, leading me to believe it's a software problem.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Sep 18, 2006, 11:21 AM

Ok, you can't claim it's a generational thing when you're doing it with people 7 years older than you. That's a complete contradiction.
I'm just trying to say it's not a college related thing.

Dakar
Professional Poster
Sep 18, 2006, 11:23 AM

I'm just trying to say it's not a college related thing.
I'm trying to say, wait till you're 5 years removed from college. It won't be the same, believe me.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 18, 2006, 11:25 AM

The IR bar is not used for nearly as much stuff as you think. It's not really a problem. For quite a few games you can even disconnect the IR bar. And again, Red Steel is the only game we've heard about IR bar issues with, leading me to believe it's a software problem.

No no no. dont you know the Wii's controls suck, despite what almost everyone who has actually used it claims ? And despite the fact that neither Red Steel nor Metroid Prime 3 have shipped yet, we have to forget about what good reports are written about the controls in favour of the bad ones cause Nintendo has no idea how to implement human-videogame interfaces. remember ?

starman
Clinically Insane
Sep 18, 2006, 11:29 AM

I'm trying to say, wait till you're 5 years removed from college. It won't be the same, believe me.
Yup. I have to completely agree here. Once the Real World kicks in, you life WILL change.

starman
Clinically Insane
Sep 18, 2006, 11:30 AM

No no no. dont you know the Wii's controls suck, despite what almost everyone who has actually used it claims ? And despite the fact that neither Red Steel nor Metroid Prime 3 have shipped yet, we have to forget about what good reports are written about the controls in favour of the bad ones cause Nintendo has no idea how to implement human-videogame interfaces. remember ?
Power Glove.

'Nuff said.

Dakar
Professional Poster
Sep 18, 2006, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by starman
Yup. I have to completely agree here. Once the Real World kicks in, you life WILL change.
And let's not pretend I didn't fight it tooth and nail, either.

starman
Clinically Insane
Sep 18, 2006, 11:33 AM

And let's not pretend I didn't fight it tooth and nail, either.
Same here. I love my games but there are things more important than games when you have a family and a house.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Sep 18, 2006, 11:35 AM

This thread FTW.

Dakar
Professional Poster
Sep 18, 2006, 11:35 AM

Same here. I love my games but there are things more important than games when you have a family and a house.
That's why I mentioned girlfriends and careers... Yeah, if you're single and working at the Sunoco you've got a bit more leeway.

Dakar
Professional Poster
Sep 18, 2006, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by MindFad
This thread FTW.
I feel like a 40 year-old women gorging herself on chocolates whenever I post in this thread.

starman
Clinically Insane
Sep 18, 2006, 11:38 AM

Grats on 10k, Fad, but...where's the "Praying for Three More Pages" pic?

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Sep 18, 2006, 11:40 AM

Grats on 10k, Fad, but...where's the "Praying for Three More Pages" pic?
I was gonna wait a few more pages. Fine, I'll contribute something:

HEY, BIG NEWS
IGN: GCN Outsells 360 in Japan

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 18, 2006, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by MindFad
I was gonna wait a few more pages. Fine, I'll contribute something:

HEY, BIG NEWS
IGN: GCN Outsells 360 in Japan

cSurfr
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 18, 2006, 11:56 AM

Is it just me, or didn't the big N say that the old console games would be downloadable for free a few months back? Now they're going to charge 9.99 or whatever for them? Seems reminiscent of iTools, don't you think ?
-How pumped would you be driving home from work, knowing someplace in your house there's a monkey you're gonna battle?

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Sep 18, 2006, 12:11 PM

Err, ya I saw that, what I am saying is because IGN saying the short demo rocked also means it is the gold standard?

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Sep 18, 2006, 12:15 PM

cause Nintendo has no idea how to implement human-videogame interfaces. remember ?

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Sep 18, 2006, 12:24 PM

On another note games are running on the PS3 in 1080P:

PS3 Virtua Tennis 3 in 1080p news from 1UP.com

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 18, 2006, 12:39 PM

Yeah i agree, Nintendo should just quit thinking different cause every atempt they make is a complete failure. they should just copy Microsoft and Sony and have a 2-handed controller, d-pad, shoulder buttons, analog sticks, rumble, wireless and a tacked-on-motion-detector, cause its obvious their contribution to interfaces suck. We should all applaud Sony and Microsoft for all the contributions they have made to console gaming over the years, which they acomplished all on their own.

starman
Clinically Insane
Sep 18, 2006, 12:49 PM

Yeah i agree, Nintendo should just quit thinking different cause every atempt they make is a complete failure. they should just copy Microsoft and Sony and have a 2-handed controller, d-pad, shoulder buttons, analog sticks, rumble, wireless and a tacked-on-motion-detector, cause its obvious their contribution to interfaces suck. We should all applaud Sony and Microsoft for all the contributions they have made to console gaming over the years, which they acomplished all on their own.
Jesus Christ, you make it sound like Nintendo invented everything. Shall we go back a few pages and bring up how Nintendo DID NOT invent carts, DID NOT invent the analog controller, DID NOT invent platform gaming?

Forum Links
Forum Rules