Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Gas Guzzling Celebrity Hypocrites

Gas Guzzling Celebrity Hypocrites
Thread Tools
Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Working. What about you?
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 25, 2006, 10:47 AM
 


Link

for this article exposing the hypocrisy of the Hollywood elitists who are clearly saying, "Do as I say and not as I do."



The only one who is decent is DiCaprio:

On the ground: Leo drives a Toyota Prius
In the air: Leo flies just like us folk -- commercial, unless he positively must fly private because of scheduling.
     
Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: The Annals of MacNN History
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 25, 2006, 10:50 AM
 
*waits for influx of negative comments*
     
Doofy
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Vacation.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 25, 2006, 11:01 AM
 
On the ground: Leo drives a Toyota Prius
Fact: From birth (manufacturing) to death (scrapping), and including fuel consumption over lifetime, a Prius actually has a more negative environmental impact than a Jeep Grand Cherokee does. Some scientists did a full cycle study a few months back on all sorts of cars - Grand Cherokee was in ten best for environment, Prius was in ten worst.

     
Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: England | San Francisco
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 25, 2006, 11:03 AM
 
oh well.
we don't have time to stop for gas
     
scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: detroit,mi,usa
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 25, 2006, 11:04 AM
 
Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
Fact: From birth (manufacturing) to death (scrapping), and including fuel consumption over lifetime, a Prius actually has a more negative environmental impact than a Jeep Grand Cherokee does. Some scientists did a full cycle study a few months back on all sorts of cars - Grand Cherokee was in ten best for environment, Prius was in ten worst.

evidence for your FUD, plz.
     
Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Working. What about you?
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 25, 2006, 11:05 AM
 
Doofy, is that true?





Do you have any links that show this? I'd be interested in seeing them.
     
natural1
Junior Member
Join Date: Jan 2005
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 25, 2006, 11:15 AM
 
Linkage please...
     
Doofy
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Vacation.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 25, 2006, 11:15 AM
 
Originally Posted by Cody Dawg View Post
Doofy, is that true?
Yep. I almost wet myself laughing when I read it.

Originally Posted by Cody Dawg View Post
Do you have any links that show this? I'd be interested in seeing them.
Originally Posted by scaught View Post
evidence for your FUD, plz.
Sorry, I read it in the dead tree versions of two national papers. You'll have to Google for it.
     
turtle777
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: planning a comeback !
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 25, 2006, 12:05 PM
 
Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
Sorry, I read it in the dead tree versions of two national papers. You'll have to Google for it.
In other words: FUD.

-t
     
SirCastor
Professional Poster
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Salt Lake City, UT USA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 25, 2006, 12:13 PM
 
I can't find the report, but here's some further info:

Is a Hummer greener than a Prius? - AutoblogGreen
2008 iMac 3.06 Ghz, 2GB Memory, GeForce 8800, 500GB HD, SuperDrive
8gb iPhone on Tmobile
     
Doofy
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Vacation.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 25, 2006, 12:20 PM
 
Originally Posted by what_the_heck View Post
In other words: FUD.
Or maybe you lot just don't know how to operate Google.

Here's an article about the same study:
Living

Great Green Car Myth
Updated: 06/10/2006 12:15:37

They are popular with socially-conscious Hollywood stars, politicians on the campaign trail and eco-friendly motorists, but some of the 'greenest' cars cause more pollution than gas-guzzling off-roaders, a study has revealed.

The petrol-electric Toyota Prius, one of the most 'environmentally friendly' cars, favoured by Brad Pitt and Cameron Diaz, is on the list of worst polluters.

It was beaten by several off-roaders - dubbed Chelsea tractors - including the Toyota Land Cruiser and Land Rover Discovery.

The study, commissioned by What Car? magazine, suggests that if drivers really want to save the planet, they should ditch their 'green' vehicles.

Researchers accepted that many 'green' cars do push out less pollution when they are running, but they argue that the energy used to make the technically complex vehicles means they cause more pollution that conventional cars.

Near the bottom of the list is the Toyota Prius which languishes in 74th place, while the Honda Civic Hybrid was in 73rd place.

Another hybrid, the Lexus RX400h, was in 83rd place.

They were beaten by a range of gas-guzzlers, including the Mercedes Benz M-Class, Range Rover Sport and Jeep Cherokee.

The best performing car overall was the Jeep Wrangler off-roader, followed by the Toyota Yaris, Corolla and Chevrolet Kalos.

The Ford Focus, Hyundai Accent and Mazda 3 also ranked highly.

Worst performer overall was the Maybach limousine, built by Daimler-Chrysler.

Art Spinella, from CNW, the organisation that carried out the research, said: "Why do hybrids show up so poorly? It's because of the manufacture, replacement and disposal of high-energy use items including the batteries, electric motors and lighter weight materials used in construction.

"Simpler vehicles, such as the Jeep Wrangler, use established technologies that need less energy in manufacture."
The articles I read had the Grand Cherokee in the top 10 best (they actually listed top and bottom ten), with the Wrangler in first place.

Oh, and while you're all in the "must have a link for it to be real" mode, read this:
The internet is shit
     
:XI:
Mac Elite
Join Date: Sep 2002
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 25, 2006, 12:23 PM
 
Automotive Energy

I think this is the report.

Try not to pronounce things as 'FUD' because you can't be bothered to look.
     
sek929
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Cape Cod, MA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 25, 2006, 12:36 PM
 
To suggest newer technology should be abandoned because older less efficient technology is easier to make at this time is ludicrous.

Of course it takes more energy to build a Quad Xeon Power.....sorry, Mac Pro than a Commodore 64, but to suggest that the latter is actually preferable is downright stupid.

I know you wanna marry Jeep, Doofy, but I am personally hoping that hybrids get a fighting chance to get better in the next 10+ years without doomsayers like you harping on something simply because it seems "liberal."
     
Doofy
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Vacation.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 25, 2006, 12:50 PM
 
Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
I know you wanna marry Jeep, Doofy, but I am personally hoping that hybrids get a fighting chance to get better in the next 10+ years without doomsayers like you harping on something simply because it seems "liberal."
Wake me up when your hybrids can run on biodiesel.

Until then you hippies can continue to pollute the environment whilst incorrectly (and smugly) thinking that you're not damaging it more than the guy one lane over in the Wrangler.
     
Railroader
Banned
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Indy.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 25, 2006, 02:12 PM
 
Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
To suggest newer technology should be abandoned because older less efficient technology is easier to make at this time is ludicrous.

Of course it takes more energy to build a Quad Xeon Power.....sorry, Mac Pro than a Commodore 64, but to suggest that the latter is actually preferable is downright stupid.

I know you wanna marry Jeep, Doofy, but I am personally hoping that hybrids get a fighting chance to get better in the next 10+ years without doomsayers like you harping on something simply because it seems "liberal."
Personally, I'd rather wait for hydrogen than use the hybrid systems.

All hybrids are is a stop gap. And currently more of an environmental impact than what previously existed.

And actually, you aren't comparing apples[hehe pun] to oranges because the Commodores contained more harmful materials than modern day computers.
     
Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Los Angeles
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 25, 2006, 03:31 PM
 
Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
To suggest newer technology should be abandoned because older less efficient technology is easier to make at this time is ludicrous.

Of course it takes more energy to build a Quad Xeon Power.....sorry, Mac Pro than a Commodore 64, but to suggest that the latter is actually preferable is downright stupid.
Your analogy doesn't really hold. It takes more resources to build a modern computer, but a modern computer also performs 20,000 times faster than a Commodore and 40,000 times more capable. A Prius really doesn't perform that much better than a conventional car, and if the environmental impact to build it is that much worse, any advantage is seemingly negated.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ
     
natural1
Junior Member
Join Date: Jan 2005
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 25, 2006, 04:11 PM
 
Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
Or maybe you lot just don't know how to operate Google.

Here's an article about the same study:
Living



The articles I read had the Grand Cherokee in the top 10 best (they actually listed top and bottom ten), with the Wrangler in first place.

Oh, and while you're all in the "must have a link for it to be real" mode, read this:
The internet is ****
From TFA:

"Simpler vehicles, such as the Jeep Wrangler, use established technologies that need less energy in manufacture."

So, shouldn't we all buy hybrids so that they will become the 'established technology', which will lower produciton costs and reduce the environmental impact of production? Like any new technology, it takes a while to mature and pervade the market. Let's look at this again in 5 or 10 years and the story will be very different - hybrids will likely have a lower overall environmental impact -paticularly when the Japanese turbo-diesel hybrids hit next year.

But really, in the big picture it doesn't matter. We'll all be back to horse-n-buggy in 50 years. The age of the automobile cannot survive China's entry into the world energy market.
     
goMac
Posting Junkie
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Portland, OR
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 25, 2006, 04:37 PM
 
Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
Until then you hippies can continue to pollute the environment whilst incorrectly (and smugly) thinking that you're not damaging it more than the guy one lane over in the Wrangler.
Does your report consider the pollution generated in order to refine the gas to fuel the car? If the Wrangler has a lower MPG rating, that there is going to reduce it's eco-friedliness because just of the pollution created to refine that gas.

Not to mention the Wrangler increases our dependance on foreign oil.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?
     
Doofy
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Vacation.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 25, 2006, 04:39 PM
 
Originally Posted by natural1 View Post
From TFA:

"Simpler vehicles, such as the Jeep Wrangler, use established technologies that need less energy in manufacture."

So, shouldn't we all buy hybrids so that they will become the 'established technology', which will lower produciton costs and reduce the environmental impact of production? Like any new technology, it takes a while to mature and pervade the market. Let's look at this again in 5 or 10 years and the story will be very different - hybrids will likely have a lower overall environmental impact -paticularly when the Japanese turbo-diesel hybrids hit next year..
But there's the rub with technology (as expressed so eloquently in the computer industry)... ...there's always something new around the next corner. I prefer the bio-fuel route, personally.
     
Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Working. What about you?
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 25, 2006, 04:40 PM
 
I would drive a Prius if I could fit 5 children, a dog, and a husband in the car. (We have three children but are having a baby and in the process of adopting a baby.)

They just don't seem to fit!
     
SirCastor
Professional Poster
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Salt Lake City, UT USA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 25, 2006, 04:42 PM
 
Originally Posted by goMac View Post
Does your report consider the pollution generated in order to refine the gas to fuel the car? If the Wrangler has a lower MPG rating, that there is going to reduce it's eco-friedliness because just of the pollution created to refine that gas.

Not to mention the Wrangler increases our dependance on foreign oil.
But that gas production cost goes into most all cars. Exceptions being diesel, bio diesel, Natural Gas, etc, but they all have their own associated energy->pollution costs. It doesn't matter if you're driving a Prius or a Wrangler, they both take gasoline.
2008 iMac 3.06 Ghz, 2GB Memory, GeForce 8800, 500GB HD, SuperDrive
8gb iPhone on Tmobile
     
Doofy
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Vacation.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 25, 2006, 04:45 PM
 
Originally Posted by goMac View Post
Does your report consider the pollution generated in order to refine the gas to fuel the car?
No idea. I didn't write it and I didn't read the original report - just the reports about the UK modified one.

Originally Posted by goMac View Post
If the Wrangler has a lower MPG rating, that there is going to reduce it's eco-friedliness because just of the pollution created to refine that gas.

Not to mention the Wrangler increases our dependance on foreign oil.
Wranglers can be fitted with VM TDi engines no problem. Then you can grow your own fuel.

See, this is the thing with the whole argument - one size doesn't fit all. Mr Smug Celeb might be driving around in his Prius sneering at the Jeep driver yet the Jeep driver could actually be running the thing on used cooking oil and completely hammering the celeb's carbon footprint. I know a bloke who runs his Landy on chip fat. The hippies still sneer at him for driving a "polluting 4x4". Little do they know (unless he's in the mood to set them straight, which usually starts with some swearing).
     
besson3c
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: yes
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 25, 2006, 04:48 PM
 
Cody Dawg: you still need to post some stuff in my thread... It needs some love and your voice added to the stew:

http://forums.macnn.com/89/macnn-lou...ender-bender/3
     
goMac
Posting Junkie
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Portland, OR
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 25, 2006, 04:53 PM
 
Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
Wranglers can be fitted with VM TDi engines no problem. Then you can grow your own fuel.

See, this is the thing with the whole argument - one size doesn't fit all. Mr Smug Celeb might be driving around in his Prius sneering at the Jeep driver yet the Jeep driver could actually be running the thing on used cooking oil and completely hammering the celeb's carbon footprint. I know a bloke who runs his Landy on chip fat. The hippies still sneer at him for driving a "polluting 4x4". Little do they know (unless he's in the mood to set them straight, which usually starts with some swearing).
Obviously as soon as you move a vehicle off of using gas the entire argument becomes redundant. But that's not what we're talking about here. What if the Prius was running on cooking oil? The entire point is we're comparing cars using the same kind of fuel.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?
     
Doofy
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Vacation.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 25, 2006, 05:00 PM
 
Originally Posted by goMac View Post
What if the Prius was running on cooking oil?
It's still be more harmful to the environment because of the manufacturing process.

Originally Posted by goMac View Post
The entire point is we're comparing cars using the same kind of fuel.
Not really... ...if we were doing that, we wouldn't be comparing a Prius to a Jeep in the first place, since the Prius is dual fuel and the Jeep is just gas.
     
goMac
Posting Junkie
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Portland, OR
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 25, 2006, 05:15 PM
 
Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
It's still be more harmful to the environment because of the manufacturing process.
Would it? Again, it takes energy to create the cooking oil, and the jeep would use more cooking oil.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?
     
Doofy
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Vacation.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 25, 2006, 05:42 PM
 
Originally Posted by goMac View Post
Would it? Again, it takes energy to create the cooking oil, and the jeep would use more cooking oil.
But the cooking oil has already been used - to cook with. So it was gonna get processed for its primary purpose anyways.
     
sek929
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Cape Cod, MA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 25, 2006, 06:11 PM
 
Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
Wake me up when your hybrids can run on biodiesel.

Until then you hippies can continue to pollute the environment whilst incorrectly (and smugly) thinking that you're not damaging it more than the guy one lane over in the Wrangler.
Do you have ANY other word in your vocabulary besides hippies?

I'm not a hippy.
I have a job.
I drive a 4x4 truck.

I also agree that hybrids aren't the end-all-be-all, but to suggest that new tech should be discarded just because the older tech is more familiar to produce is silly.

Do you think that any new technology will be easily manufactured compared to the previous technology?
     
The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Tampa, Florida
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 25, 2006, 06:40 PM
 
Steve Jobs burns a lot of jet fuel in his Gulfstream V, but he's never expressed any commitment to the preservation of the environment.
     
Doofy
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Vacation.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 25, 2006, 07:07 PM
 
Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
Do you have ANY other word in your vocabulary besides hippies?
No.

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
I'm not a hippy.
Cole Sear: I see hippies.
Malcolm Crowe: In your music videos?
[Cole shakes his head no]
Malcolm Crowe: While you're awake?
[Cole nods]
Malcolm Crowe: Hippies like, in camper vans? In tye-dye shirts?
Cole Sear: Walking around like regular people. They don't see each other. They only see what they want to see. They don't know they're hippies.
Malcolm Crowe: How often do you see them?
Cole Sear: All the time. They're everywhere.
     
Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: South of the Mason-Dixon line
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 25, 2006, 07:51 PM
 
Originally Posted by The Godfather View Post
Steve Jobs burns a lot of jet fuel in his Gulfstream V, but he's never expressed any commitment to the preservation of the environment.

A "child of the 60s, " Steve Jobs traveled around the globe in an attempt to find himself. He was a vegetarian, an environmentalist, and — strangest of all — is one of the most successful businessmen that the world has ever known.

Dude, he's the reason celebrities all want Gulfstream business jets. It could be argued that Steve Jobs has single-handedly shortened the Earth's lifespan by decades.
     
Kevin
Baninated
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: In yer threads
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 25, 2006, 08:01 PM
 
Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
Cody Dawg: you still need to post some stuff in my thread... It needs some love and your voice added to the stew:

http://forums.macnn.com/89/macnn-lou...ender-bender/3
Couldn't this have been a private message?
     
Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: England | San Francisco
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 25, 2006, 08:20 PM
 
Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
Cody Dawg: you still need to post some stuff in my thread... It needs some love and your voice added to the stew:

http://forums.macnn.com/89/macnn-lou...ender-bender/3
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
Couldn't this have been a private message?
besson3c, please avoid doing this junk, its both offtopic and irrelevant to 99.9998% of members, you can easily PM Cody.
In fact this also could have been a PM, but I wanted to show that mods are up to stuff behind the scenes
we don't have time to stop for gas
     
sek929
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Cape Cod, MA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 26, 2006, 07:37 AM
 
Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
No.



Cole Sear: I see hippies.
Malcolm Crowe: In your music videos?
[Cole shakes his head no]
Malcolm Crowe: While you're awake?
[Cole nods]
Malcolm Crowe: Hippies like, in camper vans? In tye-dye shirts?
Cole Sear: Walking around like regular people. They don't see each other. They only see what they want to see. They don't know they're hippies.
Malcolm Crowe: How often do you see them?
Cole Sear: All the time. They're everywhere.
You suck at the internet, I'm so far away from being a hippy it's rediculous.
     
Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Working. What about you?
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 26, 2006, 08:11 AM
 
The Godfather

Steve Jobs burns a lot of jet fuel in his Gulfstream V, but he's never expressed any commitment to the preservation of the environment.


Shock and horror!

Wait...

Doesn't he have AL GORE, the self-entitled king of global warming, on the Apple board of directors per Steve's own invitation?

     
andi*pandi
Moderator
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: inside 128, north of 90
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 26, 2006, 08:20 AM
 
Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
I know a bloke who runs his Landy on chip fat. The hippies still sneer at him for driving a "polluting 4x4". Little do they know (unless he's in the mood to set them straight, which usually starts with some swearing).
perhaps he should get a bumper sticker saying "this landy runs on recycled fuel" or something more catchy.
     
besson3c
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: yes
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 26, 2006, 08:35 AM
 
Originally Posted by Peter View Post
besson3c, please avoid doing this junk, its both offtopic and irrelevant to 99.9998% of members, you can easily PM Cody.
In fact this also could have been a PM, but I wanted to show that mods are up to stuff behind the scenes
I think Cody Dawg is more than just .0002% of a member!

What kinds of stuff do you guys do behind the scenes? I kind of think of you guys as adult oompa loompas as far as being helpful in making things run. I kind of have fantasies that you guys have mod threads where you do nothing but sing the oompa loompa song all day, and I kind of wish that I could be a part of these festivities, since I really like oompa loompas and their special song of joy.


I'm sorry everybody for my unoptimized Patrick Swayze thread marketing. I'm just thankful that we have a thread about Patrick Swayze that Kevin approves of. I want it to do well, but it's only two pages long right now... I just wish there was more that I could do to help it along. It's kind of like having a potted plant in that respect, except instead of it being a potted plant it's a thread about Patrick Swayze on a Mac forum.
     
Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Working. What about you?
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 26, 2006, 08:38 AM
 
Let's see...

Doofy loves Jeeps, apparently.

There are a few here who don't seem to approve of his choice of vehicle, apparently.

How about this, then? It will make everyone happy:

Jeep Bike
     
besson3c
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: yes
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 26, 2006, 08:39 AM
 
That enlarge photo link doesn't work. I want an enlarged photo, what should I do??
     
Doofy
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Vacation.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 26, 2006, 08:40 AM
 
Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
You suck at the internet, I'm so far away from being a hippy it's rediculous.
Hippie is as hippie does.
     
Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: The Annals of MacNN History
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 26, 2006, 08:41 AM
 
Originally Posted by Cody Dawg;3181331How about this, then? It will make [u
everyone[/u] happy:
My sense of balance is atrocious.
     
Doofy
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Vacation.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 26, 2006, 08:49 AM
 
Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
perhaps he should get a bumper sticker saying "this landy runs on recycled fuel" or something more catchy.
To be honest, I think it's more of a "class war" thing (the fact he can afford a Landy in the first place and doesn't have to take the bus), so I'm not sure that'd work.

Straight up, if you took a Prius and stuck a "4x4" badge on it, all the hippies here would start screaming "gas guzzler!". I've actually seen this happen with a Suzuki Swift hatchback.

At this point I'm pretty sure that the best way of getting hippies to come out of a coma at the hospital is to put a "4x4" badge on the doctor.
     
Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Working. What about you?
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 26, 2006, 08:55 AM
 
Isn't it the truth that some of the smallest vehicles use the most petrol or gasoline?

Like sports cars?

(That the Hollywood and liberal elitists frequently drive?)
     
Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Toronto
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 26, 2006, 09:01 AM
 
Liberal elitists? What the hell does that mean?

This bandying about of made up political nomenclature is taking on epidemic proportions.
     
Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Calgary
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 26, 2006, 09:01 AM
 
Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
But there's the rub with technology (as expressed so eloquently in the computer industry)... ...there's always something new around the next corner. I prefer the bio-fuel route, personally.
This is true. But, don't the early incarnations require consumer support in order to fund the next generations? If nobody bought the G4, would Apple develop a G5?

I think what you are really bothered about is the arrogance with which people drive their Prius' ... not unlike Mac users on their G4's and G5's who believed their chip was superior to the equivalent Intel chip.
     
Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Working. What about you?
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 26, 2006, 09:02 AM
 
I'm sure it means nothing to you, Mouse, er Mastrap.



If it's so "epidemic" as you say, post somewhere else!

     
besson3c
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: yes
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 26, 2006, 09:20 AM
 
I think that laughing smiley face is liberal elitest... Just look at it! So smug...
     
Rolling Bones
Banned
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Six feet under and diggin' it.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 26, 2006, 09:26 AM
 
Originally Posted by Cody Dawg View Post
The only one who is decent is DiCaprio:
Here's his official website by the way. Have a gander. You may have different opinion of him after.

http://www.leonardodicaprio.com/

As for others being hypocrites, it's just the way it is. They just don't make movies in Hollywood anymore.

Hell, some peeps have their own Jumbos parked in their garage they fly to work. cough...John Travolta...cough.
     
Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: The Annals of MacNN History
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 26, 2006, 09:27 AM
 
Whoa.
     
Gossamer
Professional Poster
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: "Working"
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 26, 2006, 09:45 AM
 
Originally Posted by Peter View Post
besson3c, please avoid doing this junk, its both offtopic and irrelevant to 99.9998% of members, you can easily PM Cody.
In fact this also could have been a PM, but I wanted to show that mods are up to stuff behind the scenes
Didn't WDLove get a bunch of posts deleted after posted stupid crap to Cody?

Originally Posted by Mastrap View Post
Liberal elitists? What the hell does that mean?

This bandying about of made up political nomenclature is taking on epidemic proportions.
It's just Cody trying to polarize everything. What about the conservative rednecks with their 80s
Camaros getting 15mpg? You can't blame a political group for using the most gasoline...that's just ridiculous.
     
 
Thread Tools
 
Forum Links
Forum Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Top
Privacy Policy
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:05 PM.
All contents of these forums © 1995-2017 MacNN. All rights reserved.
Branding + Design: www.gesamtbild.com
vBulletin v.3.8.8 © 2000-2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.,