Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Would you trust

Would you trust
adiliegro
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 4, 2004, 09:17 PM

Ebay to buy a PowerMac G5? I have seen them on there decently priced and have been tempted.
Allen
Converted Mac user since 09-20-2004

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 4, 2004, 09:20 PM

It's not a matter of trusting eBay, it's trusting the person that is selling it. My rule is that I'll only buy if there are actual pictures of the item, the seller communicates with me before I bid, and he has a good amount of feedback.

And for future reference: Please don't break up your question between the thread title and your post.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Secret__Police
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 7, 2004, 06:22 PM

With Ebay, make sure the person your dealing with just only has feedback from people buying nickle and dime stuff.
Many scammers buil up positive feedback by doing just that.

Depending on where you live, you could give Craigslist.org a try. You should be able to buy more local and check the goods in person before dropping a Grand or more.

d.fine
Mac Elite
Oct 8, 2004, 03:57 AM

No I wouldn't .

stuffing feathers up your b*tt doesn't make you a chicken.

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Oct 8, 2004, 07:18 AM

Originally posted by adiliegro:
Ebay to buy a PowerMac G5? I have seen them on there decently priced and have been tempted.
For high priced items such as this no. I've found that if I located a buyer with good feedback and a nice product the bidding of that product isn't that much cheaper then just buying it out right.

Are there deals on ebay, sure, am I willing to gamble with my hard earned money on a PB or G5 from ebay - nope.

Mike

Mafia
Mac Elite
Oct 8, 2004, 12:24 PM

with ebay never go across seas. i would not go the ebay route. try finding a local seller through ebay or craigslist or the marketplaces at mac forums. if not local maybe close enough to meet half way.

mafia
http://www.mafia-designs.com

jasonsRX7
Mac Elite
Oct 8, 2004, 04:48 PM

Just make sure they have good feedback, that you communicate with them prior to bidding, and that you see photos of the actual item you're bidding on if it is an individual selling their personal computer.

Sometimes you'll see someone selling several of the same system, and they'll have one picture to represent all of them. Be sure to ask about the general physical condition they're in. I have bought a couple of Power Mac G3's and G4's from companies that were upgrading, and they were in perfect condition.

I have also sold a G4 on ebay. I took close up pictures of it from every angle, gave a completely accurate description of it, answered every question about it, and packed it extremely well for shipping. I'm proof that there are people on eBay that will sell you a good system. I plan on selling my G5 on eBay in the next 6 months or so, and it will ship in perfect condition, in the original box, with all the cables, software, and manuals it came with. Do your best to ensure you're dealing with a reputable person and you should be fine.

Forum Links
Forum Rules