Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > iMac killer?

iMac killer?
the_glassman
Mac Elite
Nov 23, 2004, 07:24 PM

Competition is a good thing, but this AIO has some pretty nice specifications.
Has anyone seen the MPC Clientpro 414?
cnet (yeah I know) gave it a higher rating in their review than the iMac.
Not to mention it does have a better graphics card!

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 24, 2004, 01:17 AM

Why don't they want to tell us the processor speeds or the hard drive capacity? I don't see any specs other than some glommed on stuff like a floppy bay and a TV tuner that has anything over an iMac, and it's butt-ugly. And how much do they cost?

not enough info on their site.

But wait-- after reading the cnet review, I see the one they had was $500.00 MORE than the most expensive iMac G5. And following the link to the CDW sales page, the base model is $350.00 more than the base iMac, with pretty much the same specs.

Killer? When can we stop using that stupid word?

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

the_glassman  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 24, 2004, 01:48 AM

Originally posted by chris v:
Why don't they want to tell us the processor speeds or the hard drive capacity? I don't see any specs other than some glommed on stuff like a floppy bay and a TV tuner that has anything over an iMac, and it's butt-ugly. And how much do they cost?

not enough info on their site.

But wait-- after reading the cnet review, I see the one they had was $500.00 MORE than the most expensive iMac G5. And following the link to the CDW sales page, the base model is $350.00 more than the base iMac, with pretty much the same specs.

Killer? When can we stop using that stupid word?
Well, I don't think it's that ugly. It also sports 1 GHz RAM with that price and you can have two optical drives!
It has a 3.2 GHz P4 and comes with 160 GB.
Single Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor (LGA775)

Operating System
Microsoft® Windows® XP Professional Edition

Chipset
Intel 915G

System Bus
800/533MHz

Memory
Two DIMM sockets supporting DDR2 533 SDRAM expandable to 2GB

Hard Drive Controller
Integrated Serial ATA-150

Floppy Drive
Optional

Audio
Integrated High Definition Audio

Speakers
Internal 2.1 speaker system (2 stereo & 1 sub-woofer)

Expansion Slots
Two mini-PCI sockets for Wireless cards and TV-Tuner Cards

PCMCIA
(1) Type II

Graphics
64MB ATI Mobility Radeon X600 PCI Express Graphics Card

Network Interface
Integrated Gigabit Ethernet (10/100/1000)

Internal antenna for 802.11 wireless support

Communications
Integrated 56k V.92 modem

Built-in I/O
6 USB 2.0 ports (2 on the right side, 4 on the back), 1 SPIDF (Back), 1 IEEE 1394 (Back), 1-RJ-11 Jack, 1 Parallel, 1 Serial, 1 PS/2, 1Microphone-in jack, 1 front & 1 rear audio jack, VGA-out, VGA port, 1 DC-in Jack, 1 Center/Bass Audio jack, TV- out, 1 S-Video TV-out

Drive Bays
Three drive bays total: 1hard drive (removable bay); Drive bay 1 supports: Floppy, 7 in 1 reader, CD-ROM; Drive bay 2 supports: DVD-ROM, CD-RW, CD-RW/DVD Combo, DVDR/RW Combo Drive

LCD Display
15-inch XGA Color TFT-LCD, 17-inch XGA Color TFT-LCD
17-inch Touchscreen SXGA Color TFT-LCD, 19-inch SXGA Color TFT-LCD (Coming Soon)

Special Features
Carrying Handle, Kensington Lock Slot, 100mm VESA Compliant

Power Supply
220W AC Adapter

Dimensions
15", 17" and 17" Touchscreen: 17.2"(W) x 2.2" (D) x 17.2" (H), with stand 8.3"(D) Weight: 17.2 lbs. Height: Unit top to stand bottom: 10.8"(H)
19": 18.5"(W) x 2.2"(D) x 18.5"(H) with stand 8.3"(D) Weight: 21 lbs. Height: Unit top to stand bottom: 11.9"(H)

Power Management
APM, ACPI 1.0b, Hibernate, Suspend, S3 sleep support with Wake-up capabilities, Consumes less than 5 Watts of power in S3

Management
Standards - CIM, Desktop Management Interface (DMI 2.0), WBEM, SNMP, SM BIOS 2.3, DDC2b, PXE 2.1 Key Support Features - S3 Sleep State, Remote system alerts, Remote BIOS flash, Remote Wake-up, DMI Configuration Change Alert, DMI information export to SMS, Serial Number, Asset Tag, Enhanced SMART II HDD Alerts, Universal Unique Identifier (UUID)

Regulatory/Certifications
UL/cUL 60950 / UL 60950; FCC Class B, WHQL, Macrovision, Energy Star, Novell, CE

Support Documentation
System Safety Manual, Driver CD w/Electronic Manual, System ReadME files, System Manual Location Flyer, OS and Software CDs and Manual, Warranty Flyer, and various other documentation dependent on specific configuration

Standard Warranty and Service Offerings
3-Year Limited Parts Warranty & Technical Support Policy; 3-Year On-site Service
So it has better sound, better processor (debatable), better graphics, gig ethernet, an option for built in TV tuner, a better warranty, is lighter and is some what upgradeable.
I know the term killer is over used and jaded, but figured I'd throw it in there anyway.

the_glassman  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 24, 2004, 01:52 AM

the_glassman  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 24, 2004, 02:00 AM

Commodus
Mac Elite
Nov 24, 2004, 01:47 PM

It won't be an iMac killer, for a few reasons:

Price - it makes the iMac look like a bargain by comparison. The performance might not be there, but in an AIO the cost simply can't be too high (Apple themselves are hurt a bit by their prices). I'd actually go so far as to say that companies which aren't forced to use Windows would probably be better served by an iMac.

Target market - it's targeted at businesses. That immediately reduces the potential user base of the system. If home users can buy at at all, they're not going to find the software or features that they want.

Looks - it's not horrendously ugly, but I don't think most home users would want to get the ClientPro when it doesn't look any different than a plain LCD display.

In short... however much CNet might want to make people think that the ClientPro is a better system, it's not. It's geared towards specific parts of a market that Apple doesn't really touch, and even if there was a version that matched the iMac's price, it just wouldn't have that iconic appeal.
 24-inch iMac Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz

discotronic
Mac Elite
Nov 24, 2004, 03:52 PM

The most important feature that it is missing is OSX. This thing could be $500 cheaper and superior in every way as far as hardware goes but it is still running Windows.

ApeInTheShell
Senior User
Nov 24, 2004, 09:18 PM

The PSX is the MPC ClientPro 414 Killer

Thilo Ettelt
Senior User
Nov 28, 2004, 01:48 PM

Originally posted by the_glassman:
Competition is a good thing, but this AIO has some pretty nice specifications.
Has anyone seen the MPC Clientpro 414?
cnet (yeah I know) gave it a higher rating in their review than the iMac.
Not to mention it does have a better graphics card!
These devices don't look very nice imho. Too much tech-like, innatural. Oh and they don't run OS X

- Thilo

Forum Links
Forum Rules