Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Backing up 5 networked macs

Backing up 5 networked macs
DevNine
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 12, 2005, 05:17 AM

Hi,
I have a 100mbit network with 5 macs running Macos X and 9. All these Macs need to backup data to one location. Previously everything was transfered to a shared folder and then burnt onto a cd. We want to get away from the cd/dvd option and move to having one onsite backup and one offsite backup. I'm thinking a nas device which allows two firewire/usb2 drives so that one drive can remain onsite and the other taken offsite.

I had a look at NU54 - Compact USB-NAS Server ( http://www.solwise.co.uk/networking-...nas-server.htm ) but it only supports 1 external harddrive. Anyone know such a device that will support two or more external harddrives ? What options do I have so that both harddrives are kept in sync ? Thanks in advance, any alternative suggestions welcome.
http://winlab.csbnet.se Visit the Mac Demo Scene.

larkost
Mac Elite
Jan 12, 2005, 11:47 AM

If you only had MacOS X, then I would recommend rsync (probably the RsyncX version), but if MacOS 9 is a requirement, then something like Retrospect is almost unavoidable.

Mac Elite
Jan 12, 2005, 05:56 PM

Our workgroup has under 20 computers (Windows, Mac, and Linux), so it's small like yours, so our requirements should be similar to yours.

If you aren't looking for a free solution, then I would recommend Retrospect. Our final setup is like this:
- Retrospect server is running on Mac OS X 10.3 Server, DP G5
- We use firewire drives for offsite backup (once a week)
- We have nightly backups to the server of all clients, using incremental backup
- Our network is 100 Mb, with Airport Extreme on some of the clients

We explored Bru, Netvault, and Retrospect as options.

Netvault was running on our Redhat server. It's interface was rather buggy at the time, and is not very intuitive. Netvault is, after one gets over the learning curve, quite powerful though. It supports backup to tape, file, whatever. We were interested in the backup to file option, as we wanted to use firewire drives for off site storage. Netvault has finally announced official support for Mac OS X, and has server software for Mac OS X, it appears. I have not tried it, since we have invested in Retrospect. My rating (3/5)

Bru was the very first one we played with, again, at the time it did not have a server version for Mac OS X. It was very long ago, but, I liked it even less than Netvault. My rating (2.5/5) it's not bad, but for our special requirements (small workgroup) it didn't work well.

We finally settled on Retrospect. It's the solution that we trialed, and have now purchased and deployed. It works very well, backing up our windows and mac workstations. The only feature I wish was better implemented, is controlling exactly what folder one wants to backup on the client (we want to backup only important data, not preferences and all of that stuff, we finally settled on backing up the users folder). My rating (4.5/5).

Fortius
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 13, 2005, 04:22 AM

@11011001:

Do you know if Retrospect supports Airport networks?

*FOUND MY OWN ANSWER*
It does support Wireless

Forum Links
Forum Rules