Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > I want to run with my new iPod

I want to run with my new iPod
Miniryu
Mac Elite
Dec 31, 2004, 08:27 PM

I finally recieved an iPod this Christmas- I took it running yesterday (despite Apple saying that it is not made to run with), and it sucks! I had to stop running twice because the music stopped, after which I turned it off.

I want a flash based iPod!! I am serious considering buying a cheap flashbased mp3 player with enough room for an hour or two of music so that I can run with it.

"Sing it again, rookie beyach."
My website

The Oracle
Dedicated MacNNer
Location: Mt. Ararat, chillin' with Noah in the Ark's broken hull.
Dec 31, 2004, 10:53 PM

Where does apple say not to run with it?

All-seeing and all-knowing since 2000 B.C.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jan 1, 2005, 02:04 AM

What kind of running do you do? I have had 2G, 3G and now I have a mini and a photo model and all have worked fine when jogging, at the gym, biking. And so has my g/f's mini.

The iPods have 20 minutes of skip protection, which is pretty good.

Are you turning the lock on? If not, you may be accidently bumping the scroll wheel. Also, are you using a case, or carrying it by hand?

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

new newton
Banned
Jan 1, 2005, 05:03 AM

How you carry it makes a difference. Put it in an arm band high on your shoulder, or on the small of your back.

parkds
Forum Regular
Jan 1, 2005, 11:23 PM

I used to hold my ipod in my hand when I ran with it. It had worked fine for my original 5Gb iPod, but not with the new ones. It stops playing after the buffer runs out. I went out and bough an arm band for the ipod and not a skip since. I highly recommend.

Miniryu  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 2, 2005, 05:11 PM

The first time I took it running I use my brother's belt-holder which carry's the iPod in the small of your back. It skipped there. The second time I tried putting it in my hand (I can run without swinging my hand much) and of course it skipped there.

I run at a pace anywhere from 6 to 7 minutes a mile for about 4 to 10 miles, so my iPod really isn't going to work. Maybe I'll try an armband. Now that I've calmed down a bit, I decided thta I have waited this long for an iPod (since it was released) I think I can wait a few more months to see if Steve anounces a flash based one.

My website

iREZ
Professional Poster
Jan 2, 2005, 05:15 PM

Get an armband and stop waiting.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jan 2, 2005, 09:31 PM

Originally posted by Miniryu:
I run at a pace anywhere from 6 to 7 minutes a mile for about 4 to 10 miles, so my iPod really isn't going to work.
With lock on, and an armband (especially if a Mini), it should still work if you reduce vibration as much as possible. 20 minutes of buffer is pretty good for a hard-dive based iPod.
And remember, a flash-based iPod isn't going to hold many songs.

new newton
Banned
Jan 2, 2005, 09:56 PM

It's not 20 minutes. It's 32mb,

k squared
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 2, 2005, 10:14 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Miniryu:
[B]The first time I took it running I use my brother's belt-holder which carry's the iPod in the small of your back. It skipped there. The second time I tried putting it in my hand (I can run without swinging my hand much) and of course it skipped there.

I'm amazed. My iPod has never skipped once while running with it.

Miniryu  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 2, 2005, 10:27 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by k squared:
[B]
Originally posted by Miniryu:
The first time I took it running I use my brother's belt-holder which carry's the iPod in the small of your back. It skipped there. The second time I tried putting it in my hand (I can run without swinging my hand much) and of course it skipped there.

I'm amazed. My iPod has never skipped once while running with it.
I guess I should have said "stopped" not skipped. I had to reset it to get it to play again.

My website

Forbodium
Forum Regular
Jan 4, 2005, 02:34 AM

I am really glad I waited on buying an iPod. I finally checked one out and fell in love with it, but if I can�t use it during workouts (my primary purpose for getting one), I�ll wait for the flashmem-based iPod. Hopefully Apple will price it competitively with other flash players. A replaceable battery and an FM tuner too, please.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jan 4, 2005, 02:44 AM

This is the first time I've heard of anyone having problems. Still want to know if the lock was fully on. I use my iPod photo when just doing treadmill, glider, but I prefer my mini at the gym. And lots and lots of people have them. I've used it with the belt clip, the armband (which is best, imo) and just carrying it around.

Ratspittle
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 4, 2005, 04:04 AM

I snowboard with mine and take many a spill, the only skippage I get is when I hit the scrolly wheel. luv it!
The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away

SuperGroove
Forum Regular
Jan 4, 2005, 04:23 AM

my iPod (5GB) just died. I jog for about an hour, and my iPod did not like it at all. It paused frequently. I am willing to pay iPod and iPod mini for a high quality flash disk player. Ideally, i'd like something with the capability to accept SD cards, as you can get 1GB SD cards for about $60-70 now.

I am very when it comes to buying things. I very much want to wait for Apple's flash based ipod. However, because of my impatience, I'm very close to going out and buying a JetAudio 4 1GB Mp3 player. That or a JetAudio G3 1GB player (50Hr. battery life). The only thing that prevents me from doing so, is that I cannot manage a playlist with these players. You simply just drag the music file to the player, as OSX sees it just as a hard drive.

If Apple makes the battery non-removeable, I vill not be buying another iPod.
Please could you stay awhile to share my grief, for its such a lovely day to have to always feel this way.
-Portishead

Miniryu  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 4, 2005, 05:14 AM

Originally posted by Randman:
This is the first time I've heard of anyone having problems. Still want to know if the lock was fully on. I use my iPod photo when just doing treadmill, glider, but I prefer my mini at the gym. And lots and lots of people have them. I've used it with the belt clip, the armband (which is best, imo) and just carrying it around.
Treadmills are great because they absorb a ton of impact. My father used to avoid running because he has bad knees- I got him to use th treadmill at his gym and now he does it all the time. Unfortunately I get bored on them too easily, because I am sure it would help with the beating my iPod is taking (I'm suprise more people don't have this issue). I'm just glad everyone else is able to take their music with them while they work out.

My website

jesset
Jan 4, 2005, 09:09 PM

Ok,I have a 2 Generation 20 gig iPod and run with it all the time. No, iPods are not meant to run with. When I first started running with my iPod it froze all the time and I had to reset it all the time. As I learned the "personality" of my iPod I was eventually able to predict when it was going to freeze. I would stop, let it load (takes about 5 seconds) and then start running again. You can hear the hard drive start to spin and the music will stop. At that point, stop running, give it a second, wait to hear the HD stop spinning, and then go back to running. I haven't tried an arm band, I keep it on my waist. Basically look at your body when you're running, try and find the part that moves the least. Shoulder/back are good cause the don't move that much, but I'm cheap and don't feel like buying more accessories. Hope this helps!

Forbodium
Forum Regular
Jan 4, 2005, 10:15 PM

It�s settled for me. A HD-based iPod is simply not going to work for my purposes. It would be too bothersome if I had to quickly stop while it rebuffers (or whatever it does). What I do is similar to sprinting, and there is simply no place where I can keep the iPod that does not move rapidly. If there is no news of a flash-based iPod announced by Apple at MW-Expo, I�m probably buying one of those JetAudio players (or something similar).

Miniryu  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 5, 2005, 12:21 AM

Originally posted by Forbodium:
It�s settled for me. A HD-based iPod is simply not going to work for my purposes. It would be too bothersome if I had to quickly stop while it rebuffers (or whatever it does). What I do is similar to sprinting, and there is simply no place where I can keep the iPod that does not move rapidly. If there is no news of a flash-based iPod announced by Apple at MW-Expo, I�m probably buying one of those JetAudio players (or something similar).
I run at 6 minutes a mile, sometimes under- for all intents and purposes the impact is similar enough to sprinting to make a comparison. I think it would work, since it usually takes 15 minutes or so to outlast the skip protection. Today, I put my iPod on lock, which I believe helped- it only skipped once, but never actually stopped. I also was giving a few second stop every time I came to a stop light, or had to walk around a huge puddle. I think this thing will be managable. I twist too much at the waste for the belt holder to work, but I think I am going to try an armband.

My website

Forbodium
Forum Regular
Jan 5, 2005, 03:42 AM

Is there any possibility of the iPod�s drive heads crashing into the disk? I�ve heard people speculating of that happening with any HD-based player. The iPod is too expensive for me to take any chances if there are any. My workout involves a very efficient biomechanical method which would shake an iPod immensely if it were on my arm.

k2director
Senior User
Jan 5, 2005, 07:27 AM

Something's wrong with your ipod if it keeps stopping during a run. Take it back. I've used plenty of IPods for running, etc. and they've all been great. Never a single problem. The thing is designed to handle something as commonplace as running... Again, take it back and get a new one.

Forum Links
Forum Rules