Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > iPod - hold button?

iPod - hold button?
TC
Senior User
Oct 24, 2001, 06:06 AM

I go this image from Apple�s video of the iPod and it looks like it does have a hold button. I had to use the unsharp mask to make it clearer, but it looks like some sort of switch to me.

Doesn�t make it worth $400 but definitely helps.
Now I just wish they had given us a remote control on the earphones, who wants to touch this with sweaty hands while jogging?

[ 10-24-2001: Message edited by: TC ]
Nothing to see, move along.

Nebagakid
Mac Elite
Oct 24, 2001, 09:30 AM

excellent, i was wundrun if it had a hold button, i mean come on, you cant come out with anything that would be used in any sorta moving without a hold button
COME ON!

Jerommeke
Mac Elite
Oct 24, 2001, 09:53 AM

whow apple has thought about almost anything

I already was wondering about it, but it is ok

thanx
iMac G5 2.0 Ghz 20", 2 GB RAM, 400 GB, OS X 10.4.5, iPod with color screen 60 GB

BobVB
Forum Regular
Oct 24, 2001, 01:43 PM

Originally posted by TC:
<STRONG>I go this image from Apple�s video of the iPod and it looks like it does have a hold button. I had to use the unsharp mask to make it clearer, but it looks like some sort of switch to me.</STRONG>
Looks more like a 'plug cover' to me. Maybe the case was set up to also have a USB port at one time or maybe the future? Look for this to be open in the 'B+' revisions

As to 'hold', the Play button is really a Play/Pause button as well as being the off switch (hold it down for 2 seconds to turn the player off)

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 24, 2001, 01:48 PM

Originally posted by BobVB:
<STRONG>Looks more like a 'plug cover' to me. Maybe the case was set up to also have a USB port at one time or maybe the future? Look for this to be open in the 'B+' revisions

As to 'hold', the Play button is really a Play/Pause button as well as being the off switch (hold it down for 2 seconds to turn the player off)</STRONG>
the image is pretty clear - you can see the lettering "HOLD" on the case at right.

BobVB
Forum Regular
Oct 24, 2001, 03:52 PM

Originally posted by Spheric Harlot:
<STRONG> the image is pretty clear - you can see the lettering "HOLD" on the case at right.</STRONG>
Yeah, you're right. Steve even mentions it during the press conference.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 24, 2001, 03:55 PM

Forgive me for being clueless on this one, but I've never had an MP3 player before. So just what does this "Hold" button do exactly?

OAW

tetzel1517
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 24, 2001, 04:15 PM

Hold buttons rock... well, they tend to be more of a slider than a button. Anyway, what you do is slide the button into the "on" position and it prevents you from doing anything with the controls aside from changing the volume. If your iPod is shifting around in your pocket, a Hold button goes a long way toward providing uninterrupted music. They're on most portable CD players, too.

vvedge
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 24, 2001, 04:17 PM

Originally posted by OAW:
<STRONG>Forgive me for being clueless on this one, but I've never had an MP3 player before. So just what does this "Hold" button do exactly?

OAW</STRONG>
When you have a portable music device, you tend to want to leave it in your pocket without worrying about accidenly stopping, skipping songs, or turning off while you're up and about. Also, when you turn the device off, you wouldn't want it to turn on accidently and drain the battery.

So the hold function is turned on by a switch that locks all the other buttons.
--whats this button do?

Goodbye koobi
... we had fun, but Apple Repair and the years have not been kind to you... godspeed...

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 24, 2001, 05:43 PM

Thanks for the info! Sounds like the "lock" feature on my cell phone that keeps it from dialing out and running up my bill while it's in my pocket. Great feature!

OAW

Nebagakid
Mac Elite
Oct 24, 2001, 05:47 PM

so many replies for one button, i wonder how many posts a topic for screen would get

TC  (op)
Senior User
Oct 25, 2001, 08:38 AM

Yep, I am pretty impressed with the number of replies for such a small feature.

I wanted to post about it because in other places people have complained about the lack of a hold button and the apple specs don�t mention it at all.

It isn�t anything special, but it would be a big thing to not have on a device which you carry in your pocket.

Also, has anybody noticed the buttons are placed in almost exactly the same way as the Mac OS X DVD player (minus the scroller)?
Nothing to see, move along.

tonton
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 26, 2001, 07:35 AM

I'm sure Apple has this covered, and more elegantly than any button or slider could do... it's simple. Think of how you do this with your mobile phone... duh.

But I agree a remote will be something I miss.
��n+�N

Got Vurt? Jeff Noon

thevil
Oct 29, 2001, 04:34 PM

Looks like a hold button to me.

sirlexelot
Forum Regular
Oct 29, 2001, 04:53 PM

The hold button works very nicely!

Too bad they didn't think of an EQ...
SirLexelot
10gig iPod, iPod Shuffle