Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Tiger vs Leopard - speed comparisons on the same machine

Tiger vs Leopard - speed comparisons on the same machine
peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 26, 2007, 01:56 PM

I'm particularly interested in how Leopard runs on G4 machines, but use this thread for impressions of speed, snappiness etc, and / or benchmarks before and after upgrading.

Cold Warrior
Oct 26, 2007, 02:09 PM

My Leopard is Snappier since they took out the debug code.

peeb  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 26, 2007, 02:13 PM

What machine are you running? Is it snappier than Tiger, or snappier than the Leopard earlier builds?

Cold Warrior
Oct 26, 2007, 02:19 PM

I was joking about the debug code. It's a throwback to the craziness of 10.1 or something, when this place went crazy about whether there was debug code in the retail release because 10.1 was dragging ass.

On topic: I have a MBP C2D 2.16 GHz, 2GB RAM, 5200 RPM HD. Leopard seems faster, as does Safari 3 final (now faster than Firefox on my machine). The only issue is with the new 3D Dock — scrolling over it is a bit choppy, not smooth like 10.4. This is almost imperceptible, but it's there.

I did an archive-install & preserved my user account.

MACGIRL34
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 26, 2007, 03:10 PM

Jury is still out on my end. I just installed Leopard and so far it seems a bit slower than Tier...I am running it on Mac Mini so far...4 more installs to go...let ya know later...

peeb  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 26, 2007, 03:13 PM

What kind of mini?

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Oct 26, 2007, 03:14 PM

The debug code silliness was over 10.0 and whether there was a secret build that some were getting and others weren't.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

starman
Clinically Insane
Oct 26, 2007, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
The debug code silliness was over 10.0 and whether there was a secret build that some were getting and others weren't.
I think it was 10.1.

Goooood times, for sure

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

starman
Clinically Insane
Oct 26, 2007, 03:38 PM

I've been using the latest ADC beta 9A599 and it's damn fast vs. Tiger on the same Mac Pro.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

ginoledesma
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2007, 04:14 PM

Leopard on my MacBook Pro C2D 2.2GHz / 2GB RAM system is much more responsive than Tiger. Apps also seem to run faster when I login. Safari also does seem faster.

The best experience I have so far is that the Finder is no longer crippled when I leave remote shares mounted and switch networks. They disconnect gracefully. That, to me alone, is a productivity boon.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Oct 26, 2007, 04:45 PM

Leopard is a bit quicker on my 1.8 GHz G5 with 1.5 Gb of RAM than Tiger was. The Dock is a bit slow to react to input, and also QuickTime is being sluggish. On, and for fun I put it on my 867 MHz G4 with 512 Mb of RAM to see how it was at the minimum reqs... it sucks big time, but it's not bad with my 1.12 Gb of RAM put back in.

dfbennett
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 26, 2007, 05:04 PM

I've got a 1 ghz iMac G4 with 768mb of ram and I'm debating about upgrading. The price isn't the issue but I'm just wondering how it's going to run. Don't really want a noticeable slowdown but at the same time I'm not expecting it to run faster. One things for certain I bet that Time Machine graphic is super slow!
Regards,
Dave

peeb  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 26, 2007, 05:07 PM

Time machine should not be too slow from what I've heard - you have a pretty decent graphics card in that machine.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Oct 26, 2007, 05:38 PM

I'm going to install Leopard on my PowerBook G4 tonight. If you want to give me any benchmarks or tests to run before and after, I'd be happy to oblige with some numbers.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

peeb  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 26, 2007, 05:42 PM

Would love to see them! I don't have any specific requests, I'm more interested in the feel for real-world tasks. Thanks.

Koralatov
Senior User
Oct 26, 2007, 07:03 PM

Any information on Leopard's performance on a G4 would be very much appreciated. I've got an iMac G4 1.25GHz (as detailed in my sig), and I'm sorely tempted to upgrade to Leopard. I'm totally unwilling to lay down £80-odd quid for it, though, only to find out it runs like ass and slows everything down.

I mainly use my iMac for running DivX videos through VLC, internet, email, IM, iTunes and iPhoto. Hopefully Leopard will run just as fast as Tiger, but I could be wrong...

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Oct 26, 2007, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by starman View Post
I think it was 10.1.

Goooood times, for sure
FWIW, I *know* it was 10.0/4K78:

http://forums.macnn.com/84/mac-os-x-...is-not-the-gm/
http://forums.macnn.com/84/mac-os-x-...4k78-is-final/

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Cold Warrior
Oct 26, 2007, 08:33 PM

long time ago. I remember reading those threads as they were happening.

tkmd
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 26, 2007, 08:41 PM

Those were the days! BTW, didnt some guy encrypt the final version or something on his website? Anyway, speed of Leopard is something I too am wondering about - especially after the AI report of "parallelism" in its code. But I holding out for the definitive answer from John Siricusa (sp?) report on 10.5 due out on Sunday.
Pismo 400 | Powerbook 1.5 GHz | MacPro 2.66/6GB/7300GT

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 26, 2007, 10:40 PM

No slower than Tiger for me, that's for sure.
Finder's Cover Flow is pretty fast, actually.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Oct 26, 2007, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by Cadaver View Post
No slower than Tiger for me, that's for sure.
Finder's Cover Flow is pretty fast, actually.
What are you using it on?

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 26, 2007, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
What are you using it on?
Same speed as far as I can tell on my MacBook Pro (2.16GHz Core Duo, 2GB w/ 256MB VRAM and 7200 RPM HD) and a bit snappier™ on my Mac Pro (2.66GHz, 6GB w/ X1900XT).

cgc
Professional Poster
Oct 26, 2007, 11:22 PM

I was hoping Leopard would make better use of multiple cores. Preview, for example, pegs at 100% on my quad MacPro under Tiger (when opening an 16,000 by 16,000 jpg). I remember the "debug code" in 10.04 which I thought was the first OS X that was available.
( Last edited by cgc; Oct 26, 2007 at 11:29 PM. )

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Oct 26, 2007, 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by Cadaver View Post
Same speed as far as I can tell on my MacBook Pro (2.16GHz Core Duo, 2GB w/ 256MB VRAM and 7200 RPM HD) and a bit snappier™ on my Mac Pro (2.66GHz, 6GB w/ X1900XT).
It seems weird that people aren't getting any speed increase on MacBook Pros. The MacBook I used today actually seemed more sluggish (although it was spanning to a 23" Cinema Display) than with Tiger. Hmmm... All the desktops I've used seem snappier though.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 26, 2007, 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
It seems weird that people aren't getting any speed increase on MacBook Pros. The MacBook I used today actually seemed more sluggish (although it was spanning to a 23" Cinema Display) than with Tiger. Hmmm... All the desktops I've used seem snappier though.
Actually seems to be better now after using it for a couple hours. My laptop always acts pretty sluggish after a reboot. Gets faster the longer its been on. Happens with my desktop, too, but not as easy to notice given the larger amount of RAM and the significantly faster hard drives.

MrForgetable
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2007, 11:54 PM

Much snappier after the first about 30 min after installation. Maybe Spotlight was indexing? It was freezing all over the place and I was getting beachballs of death all over the place and I thought to myself.. "Oh CRAP what a mistake!" But it got much, much better. Now I am very happy with the overall snappiness of the interface compared to Tiger.
iamwhor3hay

dfbennett
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 26, 2007, 11:56 PM

I went ahead and got it tonight and I'm finding it's noticeably slower than Tiger. Could be just because this is the first 20 minutes or so in the OS but I'm seeing general UI slower apps slower and unfortunately seemingly more spinning pinwheel of death. I'll reserve final judgement for a few days but so far I'm not thrilled. I also don't like how you can't expand a subfolder in a stack, instead you have to click it to bring it up in a window thus foregoing the way i usually launch programs since using folders in the Apple menu in OS 8.5 on my first Mac
Regards,
Dave

FastAMX79
Oct 27, 2007, 12:00 AM

I have it on my Powerbook and it is much faster than Tiger. Spotlight is very fast, and the cover flow is fast too. I am very happy with Leopard!
Powerbook G4 15" 1.0GHz FW800 60GIG HDD / 1.5GB RAM 10.5.X
iBook G3/800 12" 30GIG 640MB RAM 10.4.11
Mirror Door G4 1.0DP .5TB/1.5TB/40GB/30GB 1.5GB RAM 10.5 Server
Mini 1.83GHz C2D 80GB HDD 1GB RAM

brokenjago
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2007, 12:03 AM

dfbennet: spotlight indexing?
Linkinus is king.

frdmfghtr
Senior User
Oct 27, 2007, 12:06 AM

I hadn't thought of benchmarking Tiger vs. Leopard, but this thread brings up a good idea.

I have XBench so I'll run it against TIger before upgrading, then against Leopard after it has settled in, as it seems to take some time to index the drive, etc. according to some previous posts. I won't get Leopard until at least Monday when it arrives on campus and I can get it for the $69 student price.

beez1717
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 27, 2007, 02:42 AM

Originally Posted by frdmfghtr View Post
I hadn't thought of benchmarking Tiger vs. Leopard, but this thread brings up a good idea.

I have XBench so I'll run it against TIger before upgrading, then against Leopard after it has settled in, as it seems to take some time to index the drive, etc. according to some previous posts. I won't get Leopard until at least Monday when it arrives on campus and I can get it for the $69 student price.
please tell us how it works out!

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Oct 27, 2007, 02:56 AM

Originally Posted by brokenjago View Post
dfbennet: spotlight indexing?
And how. I forgot how long this whole rigmarole takes.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

nJm
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 27, 2007, 03:34 AM

My MBP (2.16ghz) seems snappier under Leopard. One thing that is definitely incredibly faster is Front Row. In Tiger it would take it a while to open each 'folder' of tv shows etc, now its all instantaneous.

Safari3 is also noticeably faster than the beta was in Tiger.
MBP 2.16ghz 15"
iMac G5 1.6Ghz 17"
Powermac 7200/120

asodamiac
Senior User
Oct 27, 2007, 04:00 AM

I've had Leopard running on my system for about 5 hours now. As soon as it started up, Spotlight was indexing and I was backing up my hard drive with Time Machine and things were pretty sluggish.

Once Spotlight and Time Machine was done doing their thing, Leopard seems to be running fairly well. No noticeable loss in speed, but I have not used any benchmark tests. I have yet to run photoshop CS2 yet, but once I do, I'll report back.

So far, Leopard is pretty darn awesome. I'm not quite blown away by it, but the small features start adding up.

Specs in sig.
15" Powerbook G4 | 1.67, 1.5gb, 128VRAM, SD
20" iMac | 2.66, 2gb, HD 2600
Dell 2408WFP

dfbennett
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 27, 2007, 09:11 AM

Not sure, how do I check? This morning it seems a bit quicker. Last night I ran top and found i was hitting VM for the first time ever on this machine so I'm sure that's it. If someone could clue me in about turning off indexing (i don't mind the extra time when searching) I'll try it.
Oh, Safari 3 is WAY faster than the old version though which is great.

Edit-ok indexing finished, seems better now but still slower than Tiger in some respects. Not huge but noticeable to me.
( Last edited by dfbennett; Oct 27, 2007 at 11:05 AM. )
Regards,
Dave

mattcass
Oct 27, 2007, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by FastAMX79 View Post
I have it on my Powerbook and it is much faster than Tiger. Spotlight is very fast, and the cover flow is fast too. I am very happy with Leopard!
Good to hear! We have the same computer. Although I'm still hesitant. I worry when my computer is only 133 MHz above the minimum requirements...

Have you tried all the features? The dock/stacks/anything that's graphic intense is smooth?

gradient
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2007, 06:35 PM

Leopard vs. Tiger on my G5 PM: Leopard is nice and quick, a bump up from Tiger for sure. A very nice experience.

Leopard vs Tiger on my iBook G4: Leopard feels slow. Noticeable lag on switching windows, drag-and-drop, the dock. Pretty much everything feels bogged down comparatively. It's manageable, though, as my performance requirements on the road are fairly limited so I'll probably stick with it.

Both were clean reformatted installs, btw.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Oct 27, 2007, 06:40 PM

Ugh, slower on this 12" 1Ghz PowerBook. Just like Tiger was slower than Panther, no surprise here.

tkmd
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 27, 2007, 06:45 PM

I really wonder how much of the UI in 10.5 is being offloaded to the graphics card. It would be nice if people who have leopard installed could post some xbench results and then we could gauge which cards impact performance on the UI front. Better yet xbench Tiger and then compare it to leopard!

It would be a nice quantitative change from, than "it feels faster" * no offense* ....
Pismo 400 | Powerbook 1.5 GHz | MacPro 2.66/6GB/7300GT

Colonel Panic
Senior User
Oct 27, 2007, 09:59 PM

Have seen Leopard on a MacBook Dual 2Ghz CD 2GB and a dual 2.5 G5 1GB. Horrible airport dropped signal issues on the dual 2.5 UNTIL I applied the Login and Keychain update Apple posted at 4:00pm or so EST today.

Generally faster, especially Safari 3 and the latest OmniWeb, 5.6. Very fast. Launching is very fast.

BE SURE you let spotlight finish updating before you make any performance judgments.

What feels slower:
Dock animations stutter a bit on both machines
Excel (Rosetta) keyboard scrolling seems a bit slower. No much.

All in all, good, except:
1) Dock animations need to be silkier (OK, I admit that it is not critical path)
2) The blue dot signaling open app is hard to see on the laptop. Weak.
3) Stacks - worse than hierarchical folders in the dock for folders containing folders or large folders generally. No longer worth it to have your Apps folder in the dock. All of that is fixed if Apple on a folder by folder basis allowed us to choose stacks or hierarchical menu. Also why can't we add things to stacks from other folders?
4) Bad keychain issues on release, fixed 36 hours later....

Good upgrade.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 27, 2007, 10:40 PM

My computer:
Black MacBook - 2.16 Ghz Core 2 Duo with 3GB of RAM.

Leopard runs real smooth. The best part is that my Airport connection no longer drops out every 5 minutes.

To be fair, I never had a clean install of Tiger on this MacBook. All of my settings from a TiBook running Panther were migrated over. So the performance boost could just be from a clean install of Leopard.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

Todd Madson
Mac Elite
Oct 28, 2007, 12:05 AM

I did an Xbench comparison:

Here's a G5 2.5 dual, 3.5 gb of ram with a Seagate 500 gig drive
(model ST3500630AS) running Tiger.

Xbench: Results 312.31
System Info
Xbench Version 1.0b3
System Version 10.4.3
Physical RAM 2047 MB
Processor PowerPC,G5@0 [2500 MHz]
L1 Cache 64K (instruction), 32K (data)
Bus Frequency 1250 MHz
Processor PowerPC,G5@1 [2500 MHz]
Bus Frequency 1250 MHz
CPU Test 300.48
GCD Recursion 170.96 6.68 Mops/sec
Floating Point Basic 489.97 1.65 Gflop/sec
AltiVec Basic 63.73 3.46 Gflop/sec
Floating Point Library 477.28 21.43 Mops/sec
Thread Test 329.13
Computation 217.81 1.75 Mops/sec, 4 threads
Memory Contention 306.62 969.83 MB/sec, 2 threads
Lock Contention 462.95 5.81 Mlocks/sec, 4 threads
Memory Test 434.11
System 462.34
Allocate 525.46 276.41 Kalloc/sec
Fill 612.14 3510.24 MB/sec
Copy 249.41 1496.49 MB/sec
Stream 405.87
Copy 380.23 1520.92 MB/sec [altivec]
Scale 381.75 1527.01 MB/sec [altivec]
Add 428.94 1715.75 MB/sec [altivec]
Triad 432.57 1730.28 MB/sec [altivec]
Quartz Graphics Test 327.85
Line 268.55 6.84 Klines/sec [50% alpha]
Rectangle 238.55 16.78 Krects/sec [50% alpha]
Circle 262.44 6.05 Kcircles/sec [50% alpha]
Bezier 279.62 3.04 Kbeziers/sec [50% alpha]
Text 590.09 9.94 Kchars/sec
OpenGL Graphics Test 288.02
Spinning Squares 288.02 201.55 frames/sec
User Interface Test 416.49
Elements 416.49 133.28 refresh/sec
Disk Test 90.09
Sequential 89.35
Uncached Write 100.94 37.58 MB/sec [4K blocks]
Uncached Write 93.19 32.64 MB/sec [256K blocks]
Uncached Read 72.97 10.79 MB/sec [4K blocks]
Uncached Read 90.28 33.85 MB/sec [256K blocks]
Random 90.83
Uncached Write 94.90 1.58 MB/sec [4K blocks]
Uncached Write 91.77 19.07 MB/sec [256K blocks]
Uncached Read 75.17 0.81 MB/sec [4K blocks]
Uncached Read 101.49 19.54 MB/sec [256K blocks]

Todd Madson
Mac Elite
Oct 28, 2007, 12:06 AM

Here is the performance same system with Leopard. It's faster!

Results 334.77
System Info
Xbench Version 1.0b3
System Version 10.5
Physical RAM 2047 MB
Processor PowerPC,G5@0 [2500 MHz]
Bus Frequency 1250 MHz
Processor PowerPC,G5@1 [2500 MHz]
Bus Frequency 1250 MHz
CPU Test 315.68
GCD Recursion 170.74 6.67 Mops/sec
Floating Point Basic 489.94 1.65 Gflop/sec
AltiVec Basic 122.20 6.63 Gflop/sec
Floating Point Library 479.83 21.55 Mops/sec
Thread Test 316.98
Computation 213.34 1.72 Mops/sec, 4 threads
Memory Contention 370.67 1172.44 MB/sec, 2 threads
Lock Contention 366.94 4.61 Mlocks/sec, 4 threads
Memory Test 501.79
System 593.64
Allocate 894.84 470.71 Kalloc/sec
Fill 616.74 3536.64 MB/sec
Copy 269.33 1616.01 MB/sec
Stream 409.95
Copy 385.34 1541.35 MB/sec [altivec]
Scale 385.80 1543.21 MB/sec [altivec]
Add 430.57 1722.29 MB/sec [altivec]
Triad 438.08 1752.33 MB/sec [altivec]
Quartz Graphics Test 405.19
Line 286.42 7.29 Klines/sec [50% alpha]
Rectangle 229.47 16.14 Krects/sec [50% alpha]
Circle 278.47 6.42 Kcircles/sec [50% alpha]
Bezier 296.94 3.23 Kbeziers/sec [50% alpha]
Text 934.63 15.74 Kchars/sec
OpenGL Graphics Test 258.80
Spinning Squares 258.80 181.11 frames/sec
User Interface Test 402.88
Elements 402.88 128.92 refresh/sec
Disk Test 142.03
Sequential 154.09
Uncached Write 120.05 44.69 MB/sec [4K blocks]
Uncached Write 155.76 54.56 MB/sec [256K blocks]
Uncached Read 183.51 27.12 MB/sec [4K blocks]
Uncached Read 157.06 58.89 MB/sec [256K blocks]
Random 129.96
Uncached Write 114.20 1.91 MB/sec [4K blocks]
Uncached Write 173.12 35.98 MB/sec [256K blocks]
Uncached Read 98.22 1.06 MB/sec [4K blocks]
Uncached Read 134.30 25.85 MB/sec [256K blocks]

Cold Warrior
Oct 28, 2007, 12:12 AM

any way someone can graph it as some sort of comparative trend lines?

Todd Madson
Mac Elite
Oct 28, 2007, 12:14 AM

Anyone who is an Excel junkie want to help? All I know is the numbers say it
is faster. We'll see how it does with Seti at Home and some other apps.

frdmfghtr
Senior User
Oct 28, 2007, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by Colonel Panic View Post
2) The blue dot signaling open app is hard to see on the laptop. Weak.
Agreed--I tried out Leopard at an Apple Store, and with the 3D Dock, the little dot is hard to see. I clipped the command line commands to flatten the dock in any position, I hope that make it easier to see.

frdmfghtr
Senior User
Oct 28, 2007, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by Todd Madson View Post
Anyone who is an Excel junkie want to help? All I know is the numbers say it
is faster. We'll see how it does with Seti at Home and some other apps.
You just HAD to say that, didn't you? Not only do I have to wait for tomorrow to get Leopard, but now I want to finish my benchmarking on my MacBook and plot the findings! Damn you!

Velocity211
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 28, 2007, 11:22 AM

Leopard is A WHOLE LOT slower than Tiger on my PowerBook G4. The CPU process constantly stays at 100% even if I'm not doing anything. At first I thought it was because of the spotlight indexing, but that finished, and it's still extremely unusable. It takes 10 seconds to open a finder window! I wish I cloned the Tiger drive before I upgraded so I can go back, now I have to wipe everything and go back to Tiger.
iMac 24" | Core 2 Extreme 2.8GHz | 4GB RAM | 500GB HD
PowerBook G4 15" HR | 1.67GHz | 2GB RAM | 100GB HD
R.I.P 1995 Toyota Supra NA-T

Todd Madson
Mac Elite
Oct 28, 2007, 11:22 AM

My RAC at Seti @ Home went up overnight and it shows on the graph.

I won't know for a couple of days how much the improvement is however.

Todd Madson
Mac Elite
Oct 28, 2007, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by Todd Madson View Post
My RAC at Seti @ Home went up overnight and it shows on the graph.

I won't know for a couple of days how much the improvement is however.
I see a lot of work units with an estimated time of 45 minutes to completion.

That's pretty darn good but I am running Alex Kan's 8.0 Seti enhanced client.

Forum Links
Forum Rules