Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Would my Apple Retail Store have a full spec 24" iMac in stock?

Would my Apple Retail Store have a full spec 24" iMac in stock?
crunnells
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 2, 2008, 07:35 PM

Would my Apple Retail Store have a full spec 24" iMac in stock?
Basically a 3.06ghz w/ a 1tb disk and 4gb of ram, or would such a configuration be found online only?

Velocity211
Grizzled Veteran
May 2, 2008, 08:50 PM

I'm pretty sure the stores only stock the stock configuration for Macs.
iMac 24" | Core 2 Extreme 2.8GHz | 4GB RAM | 500GB HD
PowerBook G4 15" HR | 1.67GHz | 2GB RAM | 100GB HD
R.I.P 1995 Toyota Supra NA-T

dreamryche
Forum Regular
May 3, 2008, 12:34 AM

No way you'd find that in a store.

slpdLoad
Mac Elite
May 3, 2008, 12:57 AM

Call and ask.

cms
Senior User
May 3, 2008, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by slpdLoad View Post
Call and ask.
Sound advice....

Here in the UK, the top-end iMacs -- even those with the "standard" configuration -- qualify as BTOs, so ship from Shanghai. The UK retail stores and the UK on-line Apple Store do not have these as walk-out (retail) or 24-hour ship (online) stock. But perhaps it is different in the Yoo Ess Ay.......

The configuration you suggest is most definitely a BTO, so would not be available in your local store. Your best bet would be to order from the Apple Store online and ask nicely for a Fast Ship.

quicksilverG4
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 3, 2008, 11:00 PM

The stores near me said they could only upgrade memory. I planned to order a 2.8 GHz with 500GB drive and the 8800GS from Apple. I'd heard about Amazon and others possibly offering $100 rebates so I was planning on ordering from somewhere other than Apple. But I couldn't find that config anywhere right now - other BTO combos but not that one. So I ended up making the short drive to the DE Apple store. In order to get what I wanted I had to buy the 3.06 GHz model but paid no sales tax which I would have paid from any online retailer. Anyway, in short no you probably won't find any BTOs in an Apple store.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
May 4, 2008, 01:34 PM

They wouldn't have it in stock, but they would be able to build it probably. All stores can add RAM, and a lot can upgrade the HD.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
May 4, 2008, 10:43 PM

Apple does send a few "ultimate" configurations to the stores to keep in stock. For example, the MacBook I'm using is a Black 2.2GHz machine with 160GB HD... the standard machines came with 1GB of RAM. My local Apple store also carried an "ultimate" with 2GB of RAM from the factory - NOT via in-store upgrade. Even the config sticker on the machine under the battery states "2GB".

Additionally, when I bought a MacBook Pro in 2006, when the first came out, from the same Apple store I bought (also called an "ultimate" model) a 2.16GHz, 1GB, 256MB VRAM, 100GB 7200RPM drive machine - in-store. This would have been a BTO machine if ordered online.

So, while I don't know about the 1TB drive, many stores might carry a 3.06GHz machine.

chipchen
Mac Elite
May 5, 2008, 06:40 PM

At times... if there is enough demand... Apple will send Apple Retail Stores certain "Ultimate" configurations, which tend to be more RAM, larger hard drive and faster processor. However, this is probably unlikely with the iMacs, as I don't remember them carrying the 2.8 Extreme in the stores.

The only thing that the stores can do if they don't carry the product, is upgrade the RAM and match the upgrade price of the online store. They DO NOT upgrade processors and hard drives at all.

Full-Auto
Forum Regular
May 5, 2008, 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by chipchen View Post
At times... if there is enough demand... Apple will send Apple Retail Stores certain "Ultimate" configurations, which tend to be more RAM, larger hard drive and faster processor. However, this is probably unlikely with the iMacs, as I don't remember them carrying the 2.8 Extreme in the stores.
I walked into my Chicago Apple store and walked out with a 24" 2.8 Extreme iMac. It was a standard configuration.

Simon
Posting Junkie
May 6, 2008, 03:49 AM

Originally Posted by Full-Auto View Post
I walked into my Chicago Apple store and walked out with a 24" 2.8 Extreme iMac. It was a standard configuration.
That's no surprise as this is one of the regular configurations on the Apple Store. The OP however wants to have the best Apple Store config and then add some extras (RAM, disk). And that is only rarely available at a brick and mortar Apple Store. My guess is he won't be getting that config off the shelf at any store.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
May 6, 2008, 06:15 PM

They DO NOT upgrade hard drives at all.
That's not true. When I bought my Mac mini they dropped a 160 GB HD into it right at the store in about thirty minutes for me.

chipchen
Mac Elite
May 7, 2008, 03:05 AM

So... I can confirm that they are indeed stocking a higher configuration iMac in the stores. It's an iMac 3.06GHz, 2GB RAM, 500GB hard drive and 512 video card for $2199.

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
That's not true. When I bought my Mac mini they dropped a 160 GB HD into it right at the store in about thirty minutes for me.
Then someone did you a VERY special and extraordinary favor because Apple Retail Stores (Apple Corporate Stores) don't carry hard drive upgrades. They carry hard drive repair/replacement parts. These are for repairs. Obviously, it's not that they can't do it, it's just that they do not. I'd love to eat my words... (I've been wrong from time to time)... would you be willing to scan your receipt (black out personal info) and post it?

chipchen
Mac Elite
May 7, 2008, 03:06 AM

BTW... my information comes from working for Apple Retail for over three years, and three different stores.

Simon
Posting Junkie
May 7, 2008, 03:18 AM

So... I can confirm that they are indeed stocking a higher configuration iMac in the stores. It's an iMac 3.06GHz, 2GB RAM, 500GB hard drive and 512 video card for $2199.
This is a regular Apple Store configuration. Why should you not be able to get it at a brick and mortar store?

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
May 7, 2008, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
As was already stated, somebody did something they shouldn't have. None of the Michigan stores will do that. They do carry the 3.06 with 2GB, 500GB HD, and the 512 video card in all Apple stores, and they will upgrade RAM, but not hard drives. That configuration is not available at other resellers brick and mortar stores.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

@pplejaxkz
Senior User
May 7, 2008, 09:37 PM

Is buying it offline not an option?

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
May 8, 2008, 11:39 AM

Then someone did you a VERY special and extraordinary favor because Apple Retail Stores (Apple Corporate Stores) don't carry hard drive upgrades. They carry hard drive repair/replacement parts. These are for repairs. Obviously, it's not that they can't do it, it's just that they do not. I'd love to eat my words... (I've been wrong from time to time)... would you be willing to scan your receipt (black out personal info) and post it?
It's in the wrong state right now, but I would if it was here. I got it at the Bellevue Square store in Washington State on December 27th, along with my iPod touch. IDK it could have just been a favor actually, they know me very well around there and I bought it from a buddy who work(ed) there.

Andrew Stephens
Mac Elite
May 8, 2008, 02:52 PM

Surely you can afford to loose the RAM upgrade and do that yourself. who pays apple retail for RAM?

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
May 8, 2008, 05:16 PM

The Apple Store I went to, Bellevue Square, 2 days ago. The staff replaced my BTO 3.06Ghz iMac w/4GB Apple RAM with a stock 3.06Ghz model and extra RAM installation on the spot.

Not sure about hard drive and/or software add-on.

Full-Auto
Forum Regular
May 9, 2008, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
That's no surprise as this is one of the regular configurations on the Apple Store. The OP however wants to have the best Apple Store config and then add some extras (RAM, disk). And that is only rarely available at a brick and mortar Apple Store. My guess is he won't be getting that config off the shelf at any store.
That was my point, the 2.8 was a regular stocked item, just like all of the other base configurations listed on the Apple website. I also know from experience that they will not upgrade a hard drive at the Apple storefront. They will replace a defective drive though. They will, however, upgrade RAM for you.

Forum Links
Forum Rules