Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > The 15-Inch Powerbook Is...Discontinued?

The 15-Inch Powerbook Is...Discontinued?
iWrite
Professional Poster
Jun 27, 2003, 07:46 AM

Read here then post your comments.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Jun 27, 2003, 08:15 AM

They're reaching pretty far on this one. It seems like a non-article essentially.

BrunoBruin
Mac Elite
Jun 27, 2003, 08:54 AM

Titaniums (Titania?) are still out of stock at smalldog; they've been showing availability as 7-10 days for weeks now. SOMETHING has to be coming soon. The anticipation is giving me an ulcer.

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Jun 27, 2003, 10:25 AM

Well Macworld expo, or whatever the heck they call it now, is only a few weeks away. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Aluminum 15" and hopefully a speed bump in the 12"pb announced there.

Mike

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Jun 27, 2003, 11:29 AM

The Register is not a good source of information.

iWrite  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 27, 2003, 11:31 AM

The Register says that they got the information at MacRumors.com

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Jun 27, 2003, 11:47 AM

Originally posted by iWrite:
The Register says that they got the information at MacRumors.com
They got it from a user comment.

RooneyX
Mac Elite
Jun 27, 2003, 11:52 AM

Originally posted by wallinbl:
The Register is not a good source of information.
It's actually the best and most open minded computer journal on the net. It's British. And they love Macs.

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Jun 27, 2003, 12:08 PM

Originally posted by RooneyX:
It's actually the best and most open minded computer journal on the net. It's British. And they love Macs.
They do not check facts before publishing and they quite often have a terrible slant in their articles.

It is a regular occurrence to find that something from the Register is completely false.

But, if that's what you're looking for in your news...

parsec_kadets
Senior User
Jun 27, 2003, 12:33 PM

Ok, well even if you believe the Register article there's still one flaw. Panther is BETA! This means that there are bugs and certain parts of the OS are still missing. I think this is reaching way too far. They went on to suggest that it could mean a 14" PB is in the works. But, if you continue to use their logic, wouldn't the ID number then be present for that machine? I tend to think that the ID isn't there for some perfectly innocent reason. This is something that is not worth getting worked up over.

RooneyX
Mac Elite
Jun 27, 2003, 03:01 PM

They do not check facts before publishing and they quite often have a terrible slant in their articles.

I
If you could read, no offense, then you'd see that they hardly ever conclude anything and always write with a British sense of irony that not many foreigners can understand.

What slant? They are very open minded and if they are slanted against anything then it is against government bureaucracy only.

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Jun 27, 2003, 03:19 PM

If you could read, no offense, then you'd see that they hardly ever conclude anything and always write with a British sense of irony that not many foreigners can understand.

What slant? They are very open minded and if they are slanted against anything then it is against government bureaucracy only.
I'm not saying they jump to conclusions, I'm saying they report on things that aren't solid facts. Just because it is written somewhere on the web does not make it fact. I'm not the only one that thinks this way. Read the comments on Slashdot any time there is a story from The Register.

Slant? Read any of their articles about Microsoft. They hate Microsoft. I'm not fond of Microsoft, but if you're going to make your feelings known in something that you put forth as "news", then I'm going to question your content.

RooneyX
Mac Elite
Jun 28, 2003, 11:18 AM

I'm not saying they jump to conclusions, I'm saying they report on things that aren't solid facts.
Read the article again. They mention the source was someone on Macrumors and never concluded anything.

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Jun 28, 2003, 12:20 PM

Read the article again. They mention the source was someone on Macrumors and never concluded anything.
You're not listening to me. I'm agreeing that they don't draw conclusions. I'm saying their sources are terrible. A comment on a message board is not worthy of mention.

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Jun 28, 2003, 12:35 PM

Umm, they may be Brits, they could at a stretch, be described as somewhat openminded... No more than that.

However, they are no more in love with Macs than anyone else (witness their constant Mac OS X sniping), and they are truly hopeless with some of news, especially Macintosh/Apple Hardware predictions. It is mostly all recycled 'rumor site' nonsense, and I very, very much doubt they have any independent sources.

If we believed them, and they were accurate, I would be typing this on the '8500' Motorola G5 Quad machine, running at 4 Ghz by now... (Articles through out December 2001)

Don't believe a word they say when it comes to future Macs.

And before you ask, I have read the site for years.

But in a broader context, I mean, what is this all about? The 15" Titaniums are going to be replaced. There will be a new model, all it needs is some patience... this is all just such a non-issue it is pointless.

Peace,

Marc

beachmark
Forum Regular
Jun 28, 2003, 01:14 PM

I believethat Apple has not announced the new Powerbooks in SFO last week because it was a developers convention. Developers are (in my humble believe) those wh tend to use a desktop Apple that is powerfull. And that the anounced Apples are powerfull we can agree upon.

I tend to believe that at the next big Apple event it is much more appropriate to launch the improved/new Powerbooks as creative people are quite often on the move so a more interesting target group for Apple. As such you might see consumer products beign launched at consumers events.

So. do not fear about new/improved Powerbooks: they are coming, it is just Apple marketing (after consulting several other departments like r&d and sales) to decide where and when.

Btw: launching in a holiday period is not the best thing to do as then the news is not being read by all members of a target group and in Europe and North America the holiday period has just started.
g.r.e.e.t.i.n.g.s
mark ®
hanging out in san francisco - wellington - cape town (or in between)
Powerbook 17 inch MacOS 10.4.3Eng • Palm E2 • Motorola Razr • iPod Flash 1Gb • iPod mini 2nd-4Gb

Dave Hagan
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 28, 2003, 01:21 PM

They could update the PowerBooks this coming week at the National Educational Computing Conference (NECC). If it is truly the "year of the notebook," an educational conference is a sure way to make that statement with new products, eh?!
Dave Hagan | Apple Certified Technical Coordinator | iMac G5 1.9GHz | PowerBook G4 1.5GHz | Power Mac G4 933 MHz

beachmark
Forum Regular
Jun 30, 2003, 04:43 PM

NECC might be more the place where something (if any) would be announced in regard to the eMac but certainly not in reagdr to the new (long awaited and much speculated) Powerbooks. That is marketing wise not clever. The educational market is one of discount, discounts and even more discounts.

No, important announcements are made at events where the right target group is visiting
g.r.e.e.t.i.n.g.s
mark ®
hanging out in san francisco - wellington - cape town (or in between)
Powerbook 17 inch MacOS 10.4.3Eng • Palm E2 • Motorola Razr • iPod Flash 1Gb • iPod mini 2nd-4Gb

noiroi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 30, 2003, 06:49 PM

so far this thread has revolved almost entirely around the credibility of "the register". which probably makes sense because it say's a lot about the credibility of this rumor and the relevance of this debate......

however, putting that aside for a moment, does anybody think it's possible ? does it make sense for apple to abandon the 15" PB ?

i always thought that 15" was the perfect size for the PB ,with 12" being to small for many tasks to be performed comfortably , and 17" to big to really be mobile. the 15" also seems to be the most popular PB.
on the other hand ,the 12" and 17" were introduced with a better feature set than the existing 15" PB , it was reasonable to expect apple to upgrade the 15" with the same feature set immediately , and presenting a complete 12" 15" & 17 upgraded line. it couldn't be very hard to do technically.
apple failing to do so, (for a very long time now), may show neglect of the 15" PB .....
what do u think ?

todrain
Senior User
Jun 30, 2003, 10:20 PM

Resellers are stilll getting the current 15" units... that doesn't mean that they won't replace it next week, however.

15s are still the best selling notebooks overall (not just Apple) so it would be stupid of them to drop the size.

macxtal
Jul 1, 2003, 04:54 PM

I've been predicting the death of the 15 for months now. It doesn't make since to have three - the 15, if equipped like the 17, would cannibilize sales. If you want portability, get a 12.

I was waiting for the 15, I have a 15 now, but I think I'm going to get a G5 powermac and a 12" instead.

ASIMO
Mac Elite
Jul 1, 2003, 06:20 PM

Is the Apple Expo in Paris still happening?
I, ASIMO.

ASIMO
Mac Elite
Jul 1, 2003, 06:29 PM

Originally posted by macxtal:
I've been predicting the death of the 15 for months now. It doesn't make since to have three - the 15, if equipped like the 17, would cannibilize sales. If you want portability, get a 12...

That would be utterly stupid of Apple to do such a thing. The 15.2" is likely the most well-proportioned Powrbook for the largest mass of people. The 17 is monstrous, the 12 is tiny. Look around you; we aren't all Yao Mings and Mini Me's.
I, ASIMO.

macxtal
Jul 1, 2003, 06:36 PM

The 17 is monstrous, the 12 is tiny. Look around you; we aren't all Yao Mings and Mini Me's.
Maybe, maybe not. An upgraded 12 would fit the bill nicely, and a higher-end or dual 17 could take the 17's current spot.

The 17 is bigger, but it isn't monsterous, either. It is approximately 2z1" larger than the 15. The 15" is a compromise, but IMHO, it isn't far enough away from the 17" or the 12". An interesting (and telling) poll would see how many 17" owners would have purchased the hugebook if the 15" existed with all the same features.

Maybe I'm wrong, but Apple's moves in the last few months with regard to the Tibook don't make a whole lot of sense.

parsec_kadets
Senior User
Jul 1, 2003, 07:45 PM

Originally posted by beachmark:
I believethat Apple has not announced the new Powerbooks in SFO last week because it was a developers convention. Developers are (in my humble believe) those wh tend to use a desktop Apple that is powerfull. And that the anounced Apples are powerfull we can agree upon.
You forget that Apple announced the original Ti at WWDC in 2001.

mbperk
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 1, 2003, 09:20 PM

Originally posted by parsec_kadets:
You forget that Apple announced the original Ti at WWDC in 2001.
Actually it was at Macworld SF. See here.

neutrino23
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 2, 2003, 03:29 AM

Originally posted by macxtal:

I was waiting for the 15, I have a 15 now, but I think I'm going to get a G5 powermac and a 12" instead.
Kind of funny. I have a G4 tower and a Pismo PowerBook but I would like to sell those and get a 15" Al PB. I almost went for the 12" PB but the weight and the lack of L3 cache eventually made me change my mind. The new PB will be much faster than my 867 tower and it will have a DVI connector to drive my cinema display and it will support airport extreme.
Happy owner of a new 15" Al PB.

Forum Links
Forum Rules