Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > 6800 Ultra - How to quiet?

6800 Ultra - How to quiet?
wowway1
Forum Regular
Apr 3, 2005, 09:53 PM

Hi all,

Recently aquired an apple-packaged 6800 Ultra for my G5, and man is this thing ever loud. Have any of you successfully 'muffled' it?

Thanks,

robby818
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 4, 2005, 02:48 AM

Consider replacing the fan with one from arctic cooling:
http://www.arctic-cooling.com/vga1.php

I replaced the fan on an ATI radeon 9800 with an arctic cooling unit and the card is now practically silent. The original fan was the loudest fan in my system.

Racetrackrat
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 5, 2005, 11:27 PM

Man, having used a dual AMD windows system for the past 2 years must have blown out my eardrums. I dont even notice my PM when its going full tilt. I do have music or a movie playing in the background also, so maybe that provides a nice "white noise" . Guess I need to get used to a higher standard now having gone fully Mac.

Reason for my reply.... Did you notice a drop in temp on the video card using the coolermaster and how difficult was install of it? Have not looked at card to see if heatsink and fans are just clipped to it or what. The fact it vents directly to the outside of the computer just abouts has me clicking "buy" right now.

Anyone have anything to say about this system for the 6800 Ultra?
-Dual 2.5 Ghz Power Mac G5, 2.5 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 6800 Ultra DDL, 570 GB HD space
-12" iBook @ 900Mhz G3 40GB hard drive
-15GB 3G iPod, 1GB iPod Shuffle

robby818
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 6, 2005, 04:26 PM

Originally posted by Racetrackrat:
Man, having used a dual AMD windows system for the past 2 years must have blown out my eardrums. I dont even notice my PM when its going full tilt. I do have music or a movie playing in the background also, so maybe that provides a nice "white noise" . Guess I need to get used to a higher standard now having gone fully Mac.

Reason for my reply.... Did you notice a drop in temp on the video card using the coolermaster and how difficult was install of it? Have not looked at card to see if heatsink and fans are just clipped to it or what. The fact it vents directly to the outside of the computer just abouts has me clicking "buy" right now.

Anyone have anything to say about this system for the 6800 Ultra?
All of the reviews I have read stated that the arctic cooling fan is not only much quieter than the stock fan, it is also more efficient at cooling. none of the reviews said that it was any worse than the stock fan. I am using an older design on my radeon 9800 and it required a bit of work to install right. The latest fan design seems to be much easier to install. I dont know what type of power connection is required for the fan on the nvidia 6800. that might be an issue for mac users. i'd email arctic cooling before you buy.

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Apr 6, 2005, 07:32 PM

Originally posted by robby818:
Consider replacing the fan with one from arctic cooling:
http://www.arctic-cooling.com/vga1.php

I replaced the fan on an ATI radeon 9800 with an arctic cooling unit and the card is now practically silent. The original fan was the loudest fan in my system.
Does it take up a PCI slot?

"Laugh it up, fuzz ball!"

cSurfr
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 7, 2005, 06:33 AM

That's strange that yours is loud, because I can't say that i EVER hear mine. What are you doing that makes it rev up so much??

robby818
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 7, 2005, 11:06 PM

Originally posted by Socially Awkward Solo:
Does it take up a PCI slot?
Yes, it is a pretty big unit. But remember that I have the older arctic cooling fan. I just found this website showing a new arctic cooling fan installed in a power mac g5. nice pics and good instructions. there's mp3 files at the bottom comparing the noise levels before and after the mod.

http://mjankor.spymac.net/Silencer/Silencer.html

RE: the fan noise. i think the video card fan is the loudest fan in the power mac g5. it's a shame bec it is quite apparent that apple put a lot of thought into making all of the other fans in this machine run almost silently or at least silently when possible, but the fan on the oem video cards, whether ati or nvidia, pretty much ruins what apple worked hard ot achieve. most people never notice bec even with the noisy oem video card fan the power mac is not really anywhere near being obnoxiously loud or irritating. But if you really want a quiet machine replacing the video card fan makes a substantial difference in overall noise.

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Apr 8, 2005, 01:49 AM

Originally posted by robby818:
Yes, it is a pretty big unit.
I think it is totally retarded that a fan eats up a PCI slot.

"Laugh it up, fuzz ball!"

wowway1  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 8, 2005, 09:56 AM

Thanks all for the replies. I can't if the noise I'm getting on occasion (doesn't happen all the time) is because of the 6800 fans or the case fans kicking on. Typically happens when I'm applying some masks/filters in Photoshop, and sometimes in the occasional game I play.

I don't think I'm going to do anything as drastic as changing the cooling fan, I just wanted to hear what others were experiencing.

Thanks again,

Forum Links
Forum Rules