Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > 23" HD Cinema Display flickering problem...

23" HD Cinema Display flickering problem...
AssassyN
Professional Poster
Jun 25, 2003, 06:29 PM

I've got my 23" HD Display connected to my PC's GeForce 5200 FX 128MB DVI-out via Apple's DVI-to-ADC adapter and running the display at ANY resolution produces a frequent flicker across the screen (very noticeable, like lines and such) and I have no idea why...many others have run Apple displays on Windows machines very successfully. I'm using WinXP, have 1GIG of RAM, etc.

Any ideas to stop the flicker? I've even tried PowerStrip to adjust resolutions and such to no avail. Thanks for any help!
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 25, 2003, 07:19 PM

Obviously your screen is suffering from the indignity of being used with a PC...

AssassyN  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 25, 2003, 07:33 PM

Blah blah...seriously though, lol, any ideas? I *DO* own a Mac, and you *could* give me the props for using an APPLE display on my WINDOWS computer!
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 25, 2003, 07:59 PM

I would, but I refuse to use the word "props" under any circumstances (outside of the theater anyway...)

Seriously, though I have no idea. I didn't even really think that it would be possible for it to flicker.

AssassyN  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 25, 2003, 08:06 PM

Yeah...I'm beginning to suspect a faulty video card...
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

exa
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 25, 2003, 08:14 PM

Is the vid card driving the monitor at over/under 60hz (DVI spec)? Just a guess... though my monitor seems to run at 75hz under DVI (non apple, though with a weird minute flicker on black areas of the screen)...

AssassyN  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 25, 2003, 09:35 PM

It's exactly at 60Hz actually. It seem all the traditional checkpoints are cleared yet I'm still getting this flicker...argh.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

druber
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 26, 2003, 10:43 AM

Do you have a different machine you could try it out with? Is there an Apple Store or Compusa/Microcenter/Reseller that would let you borrow a machine for 10 minutes to give the screen a quick test? I'd start trying to isolate it to the vid card or screen. Is the entire screen acting up, or just one portion?

Forum Links
Forum Rules