Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Panther Kills "Draft" Printing option?

Panther Kills "Draft" Printing option?
AssassyN
Professional Poster
Nov 3, 2003, 12:36 PM

I have an HP 3820 Printer, and before Panther, there was always an option to print from Word in "Draft" mode to use less ink and make it print faster...why it is gone w/ Panther? Any solutions?
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

HvyMtlMdns
Forum Regular
Nov 3, 2003, 01:47 PM

Originally posted by AssassyN:
I have an HP 3820 Printer, and before Panther, there was always an option to print from Word in "Draft" mode to use less ink and make it print faster...why it is gone w/ Panther? Any solutions?
That's strange. I have an older HP 935 and can print draft documents without any problems using the HP driver that came with Panther. I wonder if your problem is specific to the 3820 model.
MacMini 2.0 Ghz C2D/160GB/2GB RAM/8x Dual-Layer SD/3X 1 TB Ext HDs; iMac C2D 20" 2.66 GHz/320GB/2GB RAM/8x Dual-Layer SD/20" Display with external 20" Apple Cinema Display; PB G4 1.67 GHz 17"/250GB/1 GB RAM/8x Dual-Layer SD; 5G iPod Classic 160GB; 2G iPod Shuffle; AppleTV

plyxrbo
Forum Regular
Nov 3, 2003, 04:54 PM

i am using an hp 940c and can no longer print in draft mode either ... in fact, there is not even an option to change it ... i also downloaded the new hp software but that didn't help either.

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Nov 3, 2003, 04:59 PM

I still have draft mode on my HP 970c.
Vandelay Industries

plyxrbo
Forum Regular
Nov 3, 2003, 05:11 PM

there is no option for draft ... the print selections i have are:

1. copies and pages
2. layout
3. output options
4. scheduler
5. paper handling
6. color sync
7. web browser
8. printer features
9. summary

am i missing something? i really do not know how to make it print draft in this new dialog box and i hate it.

AssassyN  (op)
Professional Poster
Nov 3, 2003, 05:20 PM

Exactly what I have!! I can't stand it! I used to print EVERYTHING in draft like papers and such, b/c the quality was good enough and it printed in a flash! This is a terrible non-feature in Panther...anyone else experiencing this?
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

plyxrbo
Forum Regular
Nov 3, 2003, 05:23 PM

i am not really versed in printing ... i know that i like draft mode for many of the same reasons you mentioned (draft is good enough for most home jobs, saves ink, and is FAST).

as i said, i might have missed a particular setting or don't know how to print it in draft, so any help would be greatly appreciated by someone more experienced.

spectre
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 3, 2003, 06:30 PM

I can't even change the quality of my printing at all now. This means I can't select draft, fast, medium, or best (photo)�not to mention I can't select colour or black and white.

plyxrbo
Forum Regular
Nov 3, 2003, 06:32 PM

this is the one feature in panther that i think really sucks! but it seems that not a lot of people are experiencing this ... is it just us?

HvyMtlMdns
Forum Regular
Nov 3, 2003, 06:37 PM

I have a slightly different set of options that includes Print Type/Quality where I find a pull-down menu for Quality. Here, the choices are Draft, Normal, and Best (along with a greyed-out option for Best dpi).
MacMini 2.0 Ghz C2D/160GB/2GB RAM/8x Dual-Layer SD/3X 1 TB Ext HDs; iMac C2D 20" 2.66 GHz/320GB/2GB RAM/8x Dual-Layer SD/20" Display with external 20" Apple Cinema Display; PB G4 1.67 GHz 17"/250GB/1 GB RAM/8x Dual-Layer SD; 5G iPod Classic 160GB; 2G iPod Shuffle; AppleTV

plyxrbo
Forum Regular
Nov 3, 2003, 06:41 PM

and presumably when you choose draft you get fast draft printing?

what gives with my settings?

AssassyN  (op)
Professional Poster
Nov 4, 2003, 08:30 AM

I don't get how some people could select "Draft" and some can't...I sure wish they'd release a driver set w/ this option.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

JKT
Professional Poster
Nov 4, 2003, 09:06 AM

Try installing the hpijs drivers (open sourced HP printer drivers for Linux that have been ported to OS X... similar to Gimp-print).

These have been a saviour for me with Jaguar and a HP Colour LaserJet 4550 (the official HP drivers generate a yellow haze around any images that are printed).

Note the drivers are often not as capable in some areas as the official ones, but are often better in others.

Also realise that Apple is not responsible for the drivers that are included - they are HP's (or Epson's or Canon's etc). If something has changed between releases, Apple doesn't really have any say in it. Also realise that different printers have different drivers and therefore have different options made available to them. Just because one make of HP printer has an option doesn't mean that another make will.

Regardless of all that - the quality of HP's drivers have been a shocker since the release of 10.0. Hopefully they will one day get on the ball.

wadesworld
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 4, 2003, 11:55 AM

Why don't some of you guys try calling your printer manufacturer and asking them?

AssassyN  (op)
Professional Poster
Nov 4, 2003, 06:30 PM

SOLVED!!!!

Go to www.hp.com and download the latest drivers for your printer. Mine was the DeskJet 3820...I had to install them once, it didn't work, so I deleted everything on my HD w/ "3820" in the file name, prefs. and all...reinstalled the drivers, and BAM, "Draft" is now an option in the pull down menu! Hopefully it'll work more smoothly for everyone else...good luck!
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

plyxrbo
Forum Regular
Nov 4, 2003, 06:38 PM

i'm trying that now. i'll let you know if i am successful.

Forum Links
Forum Rules