Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > If You were in My Shoes....

If You were in My Shoes....
Ryan1524
Senior User
Nov 15, 2003, 05:23 PM

what would you pick??? The 12" or 15" ?? (assuming 15's white spot issue has been fixed)

i'm going to use this for college. so there are occasions on which i'm going to carry it around on campus, but if i'm in a class where i need to do a lot of had-drawings (science, math, etc..) i might opt for pen and papers and thus the PB will stay at home. in this case, portability is not much of an issue. but i don't know what'll happen yet.

also, this will be my only computer. currently i'm using a PC on a 1024x768 LCD. and i've long thought about adding a second display cause i've felt that it's a bit cramped quite often. based on this, i don't think i'll have a problem with the 12's resolution, since it's the same as my current, only smallerbut since i've always wanted a larger screen, the 15" might be more suitable - also due to the fact the machine will be my only one.

of course there's another factor. i might be able save enough to buy a 15" or 17" LCD to complement the PB. by which case, i can have enough space regardless. but at this point, the game will be between portability and power. i'd like to have something that's as future-proof as possible, especially with the better GPU and .25 MHz increase. the backlit KB is pretty nice too. and it won't only be a gimmick to me since i work in the dark a lot.

i've also always wanted the 15" since i used to think 12" is too small and the 17" too big....but a couple of trips to Carbon-comp has since changed my mind since i was impressed by the compactness of the 12" and imagined how nice it would be to have something so 'tossable'. (not gonna toss it anywhere - promise)

sorry if this seems long and winding. but i'm really 50/50 on either of them right now and really need help to tip the balance over to one side.

so...if you were in my shoes...which would you pick?
any comments are appreciated. thx.
Ryan

shabbasuraj
Mac Elite
Nov 15, 2003, 05:47 PM

go to carbon comp....

and carefully look at the data that can be displayed on the screen of these 2 computers...

and you will see that the 15" can only nominally display more info than the 12"...(regarding rez...)

so go with the 12"

i did...
blabba5555555555555555555555555555555555555

Skypat
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 15, 2003, 05:50 PM

Hi Ryan
I chose a 12" PowerBook (ordered it last week).
Why 12 ?
- compact form
- Second computer
- Ultra mobile, I'll take it everywhere with me.
I played with one and it is a piece of art

I wanted a computer I could take with me on vacations, on my couch while watching TV, in my bed , when I visit my family to show them photos, ... The 15" is gorgeous but a bit less portable. I also have a dual 867 G4 + studio display (17 LCD), so the PB is a second computer. If the PowerBook had been my only computer, I think I would have chosen the 15" (wide screen, speed, backlit keyboard).

I don't think the difference in speed should be important to you. The key points are size and portability. I would not buy a 15" until I am sure the white spot problem is fixed anyway.
S k y p a t

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Nov 15, 2003, 06:11 PM

I had a 12" iBook for about nine months before selling it for a desktop. I got used to the small LCD after about a week or two, but every time I used another computer I was reminded of just how small my screen was. At one point I thought of selling the iBook and getting a 15" PowerBook to replace it (that was before the AlBooks), even if I'd have to take a speed hit. I'd go with the 15", personally. You'll love having a nice, big, wide screen.

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

nate_02
Senior User
Nov 15, 2003, 08:16 PM

I have a 15" and I love it. The only reason why I got the 15 over the 12 is because it's widescreen and my primary use is video editing. FCP fits great on a 15" screen, but not so great on a 12". If I wasn't editing, I would go for a 12".
-nate

Mac Elite
Nov 15, 2003, 08:19 PM

I am a computer science student.

I choose the 15" for a couple reasons:
- way faster video card (I do play a lot of games)
- largest display
- faster memory
- backlit keyboard

The larger screen is really great for programming. I can look at multiple source files at the same time, there is also room for the little file lists and such. I also spend a lot of time in the terminal, ssh'ing to the web-server/mail-server/backup-server at work. I can comfortable display three terminals. Two smaller ones stacked, and one large one.

The extra screen space is worth it IMO.

It is also still really compact, and "throwable". I toss it in and out of my bag everyday, and no scratches or bumps yet. (I have a little foam thing that I made to put in the bag though).

However, if the whitespots are still an issue, it will drive you insane. I have had them on two screens already... the current screen has finally caught up and suprassed how bad the other screen was.

poisonmonkey
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 15, 2003, 08:32 PM

I got the 12"

Main reason was price. The 15 was just out of reach for me. (Don't want to starve )

I like the size of the 12 more because when I have all my books in my bag, my powerbook still fits inside. (in a sleeve of course)

When you have to start lugging around all of your stuff all day at school, smaller is better. And you still can invest in an external monitor if you need the real estate.

It has all the power I need, I only rarely edit anything (iMovie)... I'm an arts student so I mostly type essays and research on the net.
12"AlPB/RevB/Combo/256/40/AE/20GB iPod

StevenWRX
Forum Regular
Nov 15, 2003, 10:05 PM

I picked the 12" RevB PB because of size and portability.. it's so light and compact.. I too am a college student and the 12" is perfect! it fits on my desk and doesnt draw too much attention. the 15" is alot more money and i have better uses for the saved cash..

-Steven

Necrocool
Forum Regular
Nov 16, 2003, 05:08 AM

For college use, a 12 inch + an external monitor is better than the 15 inch. Imagine bringing a computer that's about the size of a text book in your backpack.

x user
Mac Elite
Nov 16, 2003, 01:32 PM

I've always loved the extreme portability of the 12" (iBook then PB), so thats what I got. The screen res is really no big deal, although anything smaller than 1024X768 looks like c-rap in OSX. If you can afford the 15" you might want to wait for the REV. B's to come out, but remind yourself that the 12" is already in Rev. B.

anaphora68
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 16, 2003, 02:13 PM

I was in the same bind you are, 12'' or 15'' and I wound up going for the 15''. The deciding factor was the screen. Yes, the 12'' is more portable but honestly you are only talking about a pound or so. The screen on the 12'' is way too small in my opinion, especially if you are going to be doing ANY kind of graphics work. The 15'' screen is brighter, support a higher resolution, and the laptop is more expandable and a biiiiit more feature laden.

If money's a big issue then go with the 12, but you'll enjoy the 15 a lot more. I haven't had any problems with mine at all, none of the infmaous white spots, broken latches, or creaking cases.

Hope this helped a little bit.

vancenase
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 16, 2003, 02:15 PM

if you cannot decide between the 12 and 15 ... then go for the 17!

romeosc
Mac Elite
Nov 16, 2003, 02:18 PM

Originally posted by vancenase:
if you cannot decide between the 12 and 15 ... then go for the 17!

.... 12+15 =27 not 17!

LOL

mintcake
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 16, 2003, 05:57 PM

I also had exactly the same dilemma as you, finally I went with the 12", three things swung it for me:

1. Price. For the money you save by buying a 12", you could almost get yourself a flat screen monitor - and a 12" married to a nice big monitor is better than a 15" all by itself, right?

2. Portability. Everything that skypat said, except using it in bed (my wife won't let me).

3. Quality. I'm not buying a 15" while people are still experiencing problems with build quality. And I'm too impatient to wait for RevB.

crouchingtiger
Forum Regular
Nov 17, 2003, 05:09 AM

Originally posted by shabbasuraj:
go to carbon comp....

and carefully look at the data that can be displayed on the screen of these 2 computers...

and you will see that the 15" can only nominally display more info than the 12"...(regarding rez...)
Obviously everyone has their own needs, but I'd have to take issue with this statement -- 38% more screen real estate on the 15" is nothing to sneeze at! Excel, Illustrator, Photoshop "work" signficantly better on the 15" LCD. It's also great to be able to have Word and iChat windows open at the same time with no overlap.

The 12" is great but I find working with an external screen to be somewhat distracting.

(I upgraded from the 12" Powerbook to a 15" Titanium)

shabbasuraj
Mac Elite
Nov 17, 2003, 08:18 AM

resolution wise it is not significant enough...

for you yes..for me no...

Apple screen resolutuions are pathetic at the 15" and 17" levels, and everybodys knows it...but either don't care for it or there are other positives that overshadow this shortcoming..

17" PB with a screen that can only display 1440x990? pathetic...

not to mention the narrow viewing angles, low brightness etc...

regardless I still own one, primarily beacuse of the Al enclosure and OSX..

Skypat
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 17, 2003, 08:39 AM

So Ryan, what are you gonna do ?
S k y p a t

BlueCat
Nov 17, 2003, 09:03 AM

I was in a similar situation as you but I decided to go for the 15":
1. It was going to be my main computer. Should I had had the money, I probably would had love to have a dual G5 and a 12" PB!
2. I've got bad eyesight and the 12 is a bit too small for comfortable reading for me
3. Being my main computer, I did want the best performance + portability ratio. 17" was too bulky and 15" had faster CPU, memory and FSB, plus greater video RAM.

However, I would had like to the 12 because of:
1. Can't beat the feature/portability aspect. I really don't think there's another notebook computer (including Windows machines) that has the same feature/portability ratio.
2. Price - again for it's features and size, it had a pretty good price.

good luck
15" Aluminium Powerbook 1.25GHz G4
Panther 10.3
"My first Mac, but definitely not my last!"

Ryan1524  (op)
Senior User
Nov 17, 2003, 12:29 PM

yes, i am currently standing at around the same spot as BlueCat.

i went to CPUsed yesterday and comapred the 12 and 15 side by side. and it looks a lot smaller than what i've seen in pictures and i think i can still handle its size. and the 12" screen is a bit small to me. as for workspace, i've been using a 15" 1024*768 LCD for a few years and have alway wanted something bigger. if i have to stay with that resolution on an even smaller physical size, it might get uncomfortable for me. don't get me wrong, i love the 12" if this weren't going to be my only machine, i'd really want to get it. it's so amazingly small.

so..my only concern as of now is the battery life. i've set up a poll to see how people are doing with their machines...but not many has participated so far..(9 vote out of 90 views) once i get the battery issue cleared up and if i'm comfortable with it, i might go with the 15".

but i'm also waiting of the white spot issue to be cleared up and since i'm in no rush, i might be able to wait till after the January Expo. it might bring some nice addition or fixes to the unit. (even higer res screen maybe....1280*854 on a 15.2" is pretty low...considering the T40's 1400*1050 on its 14.1") and waiting till janary will allow me to save up a bit more money to add some toys to it.

so yeah, that's what i'm gonna do for now. you guys have been great so far but i can always use more advice.
Ryan

blindemboss
Forum Regular
Nov 17, 2003, 12:46 PM

Originally posted by Ryan1524:

it might bring some nice addition or fixes to the unit. (even higer res screen maybe....1280*854 on a 15.2" is pretty low...
I don't think January is the time frame for any PB revisions.

I suspect Apple is working on fixes as we speak (white spots) but I wouldn't count on any increase in screen res any time soon.
I doubt Apple would crank up the res to surpass the 17" model.

Ryan1524  (op)
Senior User
Nov 17, 2003, 12:53 PM

maybe they'll raise the 17" too. well, a man can dream, right..lol.
at the very least by january i except any Rev.A bugs to have been ironed out.
Ryan

shabbasuraj
Mac Elite
Nov 17, 2003, 01:08 PM

this rez issue, is the only thing holding me back from snagging a 17"...

I would love to buy one used, but can't convince myself to trust any of the offers I have come across (but this is another story)..

the day the 17" gets a higher rez, is the day I whip out the plastic...

BTW, all this can be alleviated if Steve gave us a BTO option for screen resolutions, I think this is implementable, without having to release a new revision..

(probably not...)...

PS: those VAIO screens are beautiful when compared to ANY PB screen...and ye the T40 also has a solid screen in terms of viewing angle, nits, etc...

Forum Links
Forum Rules