Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > wierd 15"allbook screen

wierd 15"allbook screen
pantalaimon
Forum Regular
Nov 16, 2003, 05:21 PM

This isn't a white spots problem so please don't delete

i've had my allbook for about 3 weeks now without any problems, however today my screen has suddenly became much darker on the right side than the left, like a gradient. Is there any software i could fix this with?

I might have to send to apple for repair though I've installed a few programmes my friend gave me, do you think i should take them off before sending the powerbook to apple?

Anyone else had a similar problem? (not white spots.)
1.33GHz G4 iBook 12"

pantalaimon  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 17, 2003, 06:20 AM

anyone??
1.33GHz G4 iBook 12"

BlueCat
Nov 17, 2003, 09:05 AM

Sorry I don't have the screen issue that you speak of, but I do remember reading in this forum some time back about this issue. I don't have the link, but try doing a search.
15" Aluminium Powerbook 1.25GHz G4
Panther 10.3
"My first Mac, but definitely not my last!"

Montanan
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 17, 2003, 09:46 AM

This definitely sounds like a significant hardware problem, and I'm sure you'll have no trouble at all getting Apple to replace the LCD for you. BTW, others have apparently had similar problems: check out this thread on Apple's forums.

I wouldn't worry too much at all about the service techs looking at the contents of your hard disk, if that's your concern. But I would *definitely* make sure before you send the PB off that you've got local copies of everything on your disk that you want to save -- just in case something happens to the machine, or you end up getting a machine replacement rather than a repair.

nate_02
Senior User
Nov 17, 2003, 11:26 AM

I don't think they will be able to tell if you have pirated software unless it's apple software. Even still, I wouln't worry about that.
-nate

anaphora68
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 17, 2003, 12:03 PM

You need to get a new LCD put on that laptop. As far as software, Apple CANNOT under any circumstances give you any kind of trouble for software that is on your machine.

bernt
Forum Regular
Nov 17, 2003, 04:24 PM

Originally posted by anaphora68:
You need to get a new LCD put on that laptop. As far as software, Apple CANNOT under any circumstances give you any kind of trouble for software that is on your machine.
I have the same problem as well, and also the famous white spots. The right part of the screen is darker, but it varies. Some days I hardly see it, othertimes it is very obvious. I'm currently waiting for DHL to come and pick up my machine for service.

Looks like Apple have performed some really shitty quality control with the new PowerBooks...
PowerBook 15" 1.25G/1G/80G | iMac G5 17" 1.6G/1.5G/300G | MacBook Pro 15" CD2.0G/1.5G/120G | MacBook C2D 2.2G/4G/160G

NightEyes
Forum Regular
Nov 17, 2003, 10:44 PM

My 15" AlPB has the same uneven illumination and is now on its way back to Apple for repair.
When I first noticed the problem, I took digital photos and posted them to my .mac site and called tech support, who looked at the photos and sent the return box. Will post here when I get the PB back from Apple.

Forum Links
Forum Rules