Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Microsoft IntelliMouse

Microsoft IntelliMouse
EvanV
Forum Regular
Nov 21, 2003, 01:30 AM

Is this mouse any good?

http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/mo...s.aspx?pid=002

I picked it up today. I wanted the MX 700, but couldn't find it. It is wireless only, not the bluetooth one. I don't want to open it until I get some feedback.

Thanks.

BlueCat
Nov 21, 2003, 08:30 PM

Originally posted by EvanV:
Is this mouse any good?

http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/mo...s.aspx?pid=002

I picked it up today. I wanted the MX 700, but couldn't find it. It is wireless only, not the bluetooth one. I don't want to open it until I get some feedback.

Thanks.
Sorry no feedback on the Intelli-mouse but I guess if it's like it's predecessor, it will be a good mouse (i've got the old wired intelli-mouse explorer - great mouse).

However, I just wanted to express my statisfaction with the MX-700. Got one a week ago, very nice mouse! Buttons are wel positioned for easy pressing (especially the side buttons) The only thing disappointing was I couldn't find a way to set the mouse buttons to Function keys - to get Expose through the mouse.
15" Aluminium Powerbook 1.25GHz G4
Panther 10.3
"My first Mac, but definitely not my last!"

bobsie
Nov 22, 2003, 01:30 PM

I'm using the Microsoft wireless mouse that Costco was selling for $32. Microsoft has several models of wireless, and this is probably the low end one.

I like it a lot - especially the price. The two buttons and wheel all are programmable.

One thing though ... it's a nuisance to change the batteries so often. I'm using AA nicads that go about a week or less. These nicads, though, had been sidelined from a camera I once had years ago. I was surprised that they were any good at all. New batteries might have a longer charge life.

-- Bobsie

fourstarcltv
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 23, 2003, 03:36 PM

i picked up one of these yesterday (in nice black leather, yum !) and am loving it.

it's my first wireless mouse and am loving the freedom. it feels great in the hand, really ergonomic and the scroll wheel is 'smooth' when rolled, no clicking like previous intellimice which i've used. one thing i don't like is that the wheel-button is quite tough to click. a nice review of the mouse is up here: http://www.tecnation.co.uk/article.php?id=54

it comes with intellimouse 5.0 drivers for both mac and pc (a .dmg is on the cd for mac users). any other questions, feel free to ask.

anaphora68
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 24, 2003, 12:46 AM

Microsoft mice in general are great to use. I've had several over the past few years with no complaints. I'm currently using the Bluetooth mouse and highly recommend it.

tiborg
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 25, 2003, 10:00 PM

On the newer MS wireless mice, have they relaxed the power saving behavior so that there isn't that annoying delay when you first touch the mouse after a period of inactivity? That really started bugging me after a while and I much prefer my MX700 over the MS mouse I bought about 2 years ago.

srfdriver22
Forum Regular
Nov 26, 2003, 10:38 PM

fourstarcltv, agreed. That's my only gripe with this mouse: the wheel button toughness. I use it to open Safari tabs and it sometimes works, sometimes doesn't. And it's hard to push down.

sinbad21
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 7, 2003, 02:43 PM

Do you use this mouse with Panther ? I have a problem with this mouse, on an ibook G4. It works, but the drag'n drop behavior is erratic : the mouse can't catch a file and hold it until you release the left button. Also, selecting a phrase or several words in a text doesn't work well.

fourstarcltv
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 8, 2003, 03:43 PM

no such problems here. just tested a little drag-n-dropping and highlighting text without any trouble.

gheff
Dec 8, 2003, 05:16 PM

Originally posted by sinbad21:
Do you use this mouse with Panther ? I have a problem with this mouse, on an ibook G4. It works, but the drag'n drop behavior is erratic : the mouse can't catch a file and hold it until you release the left button. Also, selecting a phrase or several words in a text doesn't work well.
Not exactly the same, but...

I switched to both Panther and a G5 at the same time so I don't know which has caused this, but I'm noting instances where it seems like it's registering two left clicks instead of one. Kind of intermittent. Enough to be pretty annoying, though.

I don't think it's a hardware issue 'cause it works on my G3 with Jaguar, but I do have another MS mouse that I can plug in to verify. (I just haven't gotten around to it yet.)

I'm running the lastest driver that I could find at microsoft.com. 5.0something. If it does turn out to be a software issue, I expect I'll have to use the hateful no-button mouse long enough see if it exhibits the same behavior. Who knows, if it single-clicks correctly, I might have to switch to it until this all gets resolved.

sinbad21
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 8, 2003, 05:43 PM

Is your mouse wireless ? Perhaps the problem is with wireless optical mice, or because of the G4 ibook, who knows ? I'm waiting for an update of Intellipoint 5.0, for 10.3.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 8, 2003, 05:51 PM

I picked up my MX700 today - its incredible
we don't have time to stop for gas

sinbad21
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 8, 2003, 07:12 PM

I've resolved my problem. I have downloaded the intellipoint sofware from Microsoft's web site, and installed it. Its version number is 5.0. On the CD which came with my wireless mouse (+ keyboard), the version is also 5.0. But it's not the same version. Same name, not same version, thank you Microsoft !

The keyboard still doesn't work perfectly well, because all the letters are not at the good place.

beverson
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 14, 2004, 05:24 PM

Originally posted by sinbad21:
Has anyone found a fix for this? My roommate just bought the MS Wireless Optical mouse for her iMac, and it has a nice feel to it. But she's also having this same problem, where if you click and drag on something, typically as soon as you stop dragging it will "drop" whatever you've been dragging. Say it's a file or folder on the desktop, as soon as you stop moving the mouse (but don't let up on the button) the pointer will drop the folder or file. Worse even is if you click and drag down a menu (instead of clicking the menu, then scrubbing down to click again) and pause on a menu item that is not the one you wanted to pick, it will select this item! Very unintuitive and annoying. I can't seem to find a software setting anywhere to change this, and I think it's actually in the hardware. We've installed the drivers on her iMac running 9.x, and the problem is very apparent. But I've tried it on my iMac running 10.3.2, no drivers installed (so OS X is still handling it), and the same problem is there. I haven't tried installing the OS X drivers on my iMac to see if they would allow me to turn off this feature.

If we can't find a way to fix this, she'll probably have to return the mouse.

osxisfun
Mar 14, 2004, 06:23 PM

>On the newer MS wireless mice, have they relaxed the power saving behavior so that there isn't that annoying delay when

That's why i dumped mine. Drove be NUTS. I guess the logitech 700 wireless does not do that.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 15, 2004, 11:36 AM

I tried one Wireless IntelliMouse Explorer 2 and, yes, it is great, but I mean BIG, too big for my taste

Maybe I shall get the nice ms ice mouse

k2director
Senior User
Mar 16, 2004, 04:55 AM

I've got the 5 button wireless Intellimouse, which shipped in a Keyboard/Mouse combo.

I love the mouse. I tried the Logitech M700 for about a week, but I didn't like because:

1) its paltry software for customizing mouse buttons on a per-application basis (ie, couldn't really do it, if I recall, and at the time, USB OverDrive wasn't working with it)

2) it was a little heavy

3) I didn't like having to plug the M700's charger to my wall, adding to all those unsightly cables under my desk.

The MS mouse has 5 buttons (not as good as 7, but still good), is lighter, and runs on batteries which seem to go at least a couple of months without replacement. Plus, MS's software for mapping mouse buttons to different apps works great.

In other words, thumbs WAY up.

Forum Links
Forum Rules