Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > Theming X11?

Theming X11?
monkeybrain
Mac Elite
Aug 20, 2004, 08:59 AM

I've searched about for info on this but couldn't find anything (or anything I understood anyway) so I thought I'd ask here since everyone is very helpful.

I've just installed OpenOffice in x11 and I'm very happy with it (using it because Word is just so slow). But the interface, oh my no. I don't really mind it looking non-aqua but I just want something a bit more refined. Is it possible to theme x11? I'm guessing there must be, but is there a relatively easy way? (I've used the terminal a bit and I'm not scared).

Thanks

servo
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 20, 2004, 09:20 AM

Originally posted by monkeybrain:
I've searched about for info on this but couldn't find anything (or anything I understood anyway) so I thought I'd ask here since everyone is very helpful.

I've just installed OpenOffice in x11 and I'm very happy with it (using it because Word is just so slow). But the interface, oh my no. I don't really mind it looking non-aqua but I just want something a bit more refined. Is it possible to theme x11? I'm guessing there must be, but is there a relatively easy way? (I've used the terminal a bit and I'm not scared).

Thanks
Yes, you can theme X11. Not the way you are thinking though I believe. I do not remember how OpenOffice.org works but I believe the widgets are in within the OOo libraries so it would be a huge pain. Wat you see is what you get. It looks the same on every OS. Think of OpenOffice.org like the iApps when it comes to themeing. In order to get the right look you need to theme each individual app. There is no real system wide location where you can make changes to make things look more Aquaish. If there was I'm sure the OOo Mac porters would have made some changes already.

monkeybrain  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 20, 2004, 10:16 AM

Ah I see. Oh well.

Pity the designers didn't use a non-windows theme for the basis across all the platforms, or at least at more modern looking theme (hell even XP is preferable to this Windows 2000 look in many ways).

Forum Links
Forum Rules