Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Printer not showing in Word Print Dialog

Printer not showing in Word Print Dialog
monkeybrain
Mac Elite
Nov 10, 2004, 09:11 AM

Using Word v.X. I've just added my printer, a Lexmark Z32. Every program in OS X recognises the printer easily, apart - surprise, surprise - for Word. It can't see it at all. A restart doesn't help matters. Why is this? The printer is set as default and I have all the updates for Word as far as I'm aware.
Please don't ask me to get Office 2004, I've tried it before and it's terrible on my system.

Right off to print using Nisus instead I think...

pendragon
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 10, 2004, 09:30 AM

As a (desperate) guess�

1. Open any Word document
2. Go to File/Page Setup
3. In �Format for� select or navigate to your printer.

And this from the 8-27-04 MacFixIt main page:

�Another fix for disappearing printers we previously reported extensively a problem where some printers are not functional after the Mac OS X 10.3.5 update.

MacFixIt reader Dave Edmonds reports another potential fix that involves deleting a specific .plist file:

He writes: Applications show no printers installed when you try to print, yet printer utility shows the printers are installed. Re-installing printer drivers or running printer setup repair has no effect. A variation of the problem is when applications show printers, you send a document to print, it appears in the print queue then quickly disappears (sometimes with the message 'Empty print File!') - and nothing appears at the printer.

Sometimes it only affects Adobe applications, sometimes MS applications, and sometimes all applications.

The workaround seems to be to delete the loginwindow.plist file in ~/library/preferences then logout/login and restarting.

This usually solves the problem - at least for a while - although the problem often returns a few days (or sometimes weeks) later. Sometimes you may also need to delete the com.apple.loginwindow.plist file in the /library/preferences.�
( Last edited by pendragon; Nov 10, 2004 at 10:23 AM. )
Harv
27" i7 iMac (10.10.3), iPhone 5 (iOS 8.3)
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire

cpac
Professional Poster
Nov 10, 2004, 03:16 PM

using little snitch? There are threads about this causing printing problems.
cpac

monkeybrain  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 11, 2004, 06:30 AM

Cheers Cpac! It was little snitch. Weird bug that, and annoying as I don't really want any Microsoft product being able to talk to it's master.

pendragon
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 11, 2004, 12:41 PM

O' great and wise Cpac,

Indeed a most hearty thanks for posting the solution. Not only did I learn a bit, but with luck, my counsel will also improve.
Harv
27" i7 iMac (10.10.3), iPhone 5 (iOS 8.3)
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire

Forum Links
Forum Rules