Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Safari 2.0 and RSS

Safari 2.0 and RSS
von Wrangell
Professional Poster
Apr 26, 2005, 02:03 PM

Maybe this is a stupid question but I was wondering if it's possible to just see the new unread feeds instead of all. Anyone know?

Thanks

To those against whom war is made, permission is given (to fight), because they are wronged;- and verily, Allah is most powerful for their aid

Weyland-Yutani
Mac Elite
Apr 26, 2005, 02:10 PM

Play in Safari>Preferences>RSS - you may find something to make your life easier. Like coloring the new feeds.

“Building Better Worlds”

von Wrangell  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 26, 2005, 02:18 PM

Thanks, that will probably do for now

To those against whom war is made, permission is given (to fight), because they are wronged;- and verily, Allah is most powerful for their aid

The_Orchard
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 30, 2005, 04:18 PM

Any idea which .plist I have to hack to have my rss feeds checked more often than every 30 minutes? I've checked the obvious stuff in:

~/Library/Preferences/

such as:

com.apple.Safari.plist
com.apple.Syndication.plist
com.apple.SyndicationAgent.plist
com.apple.internetconfig.plist
com.apple.internetconfigpriv.plist
com.apple.internetconnect.plist
com.apple.scheduler.plist

Any thoughts? Ideas? I've been using the Gmail Atom feed to alert me when I get new email and Google suggests a 10 minute interval.

Thanks!

Macpilot
Mac Elite
Apr 30, 2005, 11:06 PM

Is it possible to have the sites you already have bookmarked to load the RSS versions instead of the regular versions when first clicking on the bookmarks, instead of having to click the RSS icon?

The RSS thing is cool, but I would prefer to have the RSS page come up first, rather than have to click it.

OK.....figured it out, I just bookmarked the RSS site....did not know I could do that....

Never mind!
( Last edited by Macpilot; Apr 30, 2005 at 11:12 PM. )
MacBook Pro
Mac Mini

cambro
Senior User
May 1, 2005, 01:00 PM

Did anybody watch the Tiger seminar?

Did you see the "View All RSS Articles" option when a folder in the bookmark bar is selected?

I don't see that in Safari. All I have for a folder of bookmarks is the old "Open in Tabs."

Does anybody else not see this option??

CatOne
Mac Elite
May 1, 2005, 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by cambro
Did anybody watch the Tiger seminar?

Did you see the "View All RSS Articles" option when a folder in the bookmark bar is selected?

I don't see that in Safari. All I have for a folder of bookmarks is the old "Open in Tabs."

Does anybody else not see this option??
Hmmm... I created some bookmarks, and in the drop down menu "View all RSS items" is right there.

CatOne
Mac Elite
May 1, 2005, 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by The_Orchard
Any idea which .plist I have to hack to have my rss feeds checked more often than every 30 minutes? I've checked the obvious stuff in:

~/Library/Preferences/

such as:

com.apple.Safari.plist
com.apple.Syndication.plist
com.apple.SyndicationAgent.plist
com.apple.internetconfig.plist
com.apple.internetconfigpriv.plist
com.apple.internetconnect.plist
com.apple.scheduler.plist

Any thoughts? Ideas? I've been using the Gmail Atom feed to alert me when I get new email and Google suggests a 10 minute interval.

Thanks!
More often than every 30 minutes will get you banned from a number of web sites, for example Slashdot, because it puts too much of a load on their servers.

The_Orchard
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 2, 2005, 02:14 AM

Originally Posted by CatOne
More often than every 30 minutes will get you banned from a number of web sites, for example Slashdot, because it puts too much of a load on their servers.
Hmm as I said before, Gmail recommends 10 minutes, but thanks for otherwise not answering my question.

cambro
Senior User
May 2, 2005, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by CatOne
Hmmm... I created some bookmarks, and in the drop down menu "View all RSS items" is right there.
Really???

I searched the Apple Discussions and others seem to be having this problem too. I guess that if it is working for you, though, it must be a funky configuration thing. Very annoying.

....guess I'll have to try and delete prefs and do the other usual voo-doo magic.

EDIT:: D'OH!!!!
I'm an idiot. The bookmark folder MUST contain nothing but RSS feeds. Safari is apparently not capable of determining whether or not the sites in the bookmark folder contain RSS feeds and then showing the "View all RSS articles" option.

This seems a bit counterproductive since it basically necessitates two folders of bookmarks for the same sites.
( Last edited by cambro; May 2, 2005 at 08:58 AM. )

Stradlater
Professional Poster
May 2, 2005, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by The_Orchard
Hmm as I said before, Gmail recommends 10 minutes, but thanks for otherwise not answering my question.
He was just trying to help. If you switched it to 10 minutes and all of a sudden couldn't access certain domains, you'd probably not be happy.

It might be possible to screw around in the plist files and take it to 10, but you can't do site-specific time-based checking. Good luck if you choose to go this route.

If you want to check your Gmail every 10 minutes, just add it, POP, to Mail 2.0.
"You rise," he said, "like Aurora."

Stradlater
Professional Poster
May 2, 2005, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by cambro
I'm an idiot. The bookmark folder MUST contain nothing but RSS feeds. Safari is apparently not capable of determining whether or not the sites in the bookmark folder contain RSS feeds and then showing the "View all RSS articles" option.

This seems a bit counterproductive since it basically necessitates two folders of bookmarks for the same sites.
Actually, Safari has no problem differentiating for me. I have a huge folder that's subdivided all over the place into other folders...many of these folders have both RSS feeds and regular sites bookmarked. "View all RSS articles" remains an option that's always available. Non-RSS feeds are ignored by Safari in this case.
"You rise," he said, "like Aurora."

Macpilot
Mac Elite
Jun 22, 2005, 01:09 PM

Hey guys. I don't have a problem with Safari updating the NUMBER of new feeds.

My problem is that the "color new articles" preference does not seem to do anything, and I don't see feeds updating themselves.

Is this a bug or am I not understanding the feature correctly?

I am under the impression that Safari will display new feeds in the color I select.
MacBook Pro
Mac Mini

Apfhex
Mac Elite
Jun 22, 2005, 02:17 PM

It will mark the feed name, date and time of unread feeds (the info that appears next to the headlines) in the color you select.
Mac OS X 10.5.0, Mac Pro 2.66GHz/2 GB RAM/X1900 XT, 23" ACD
esdesign

Macpilot
Mac Elite
Jun 22, 2005, 02:17 PM

Thanks dude. I get it now.
MacBook Pro
Mac Mini

Forum Links
Forum Rules